Citroen Xantia Activa Turbo 2 litre 1998 - Xantia Perplexia - ruffnroll

After 3 years of well maintained, troublefree motoring, one day she stopped.

Reversing up my drive, which has a 20 degree incline, she cut out. Thinking I was too low on fuel, I put 5 litres in to show quarter full, but she has not started since and the battery died from trying. I have put a new battery in, and now she wont even turnover. Just goes clunck when I turn the ignition key, and all dash lights go out. Noticing that the Hydraulic pressure warning light stays on, and the STOP command light stays on, after I turn the ignition on and enter my security code, I check the fluid level, and the yellow disc is right at the top of the glass. So I top the fluid up nearly to the top of the reservoir, but the yellow disc does not move at all. and she still does not even try to start.

I just haven't got a clue what to do

Does anyone know the way, there's got to be a way

to ........................

Citroen Xantia Activa Turbo 2 litre 1998 - Xantia Perplexia - sandy56

It sounds like a- electrical problem- problem with the starter? alternator? wiring short circuit?

I am not familiar with Citroen warning lights but if it wont start then they wont go out?

You need a guy armed with a multimeter who knows what he is doing.

Citroen Xantia Activa Turbo 2 litre 1998 - Xantia Perplexia - Peter.N.

Most if not all of the lights will stay on until the engine starts, its a sort of test mode. If your lights are dimming but the starter is not turning you have three options,1,flat battery, 2, faulty/jammed starter, or siezed engine, 3, a fault with the wiring either to the starter or more likely the battery earth. Check the cable from the battery negative terminal to the engine, probably around the front of the starter. Try selecting 5th gear and rocking the car back and forth, if the starter is jammed this may release it, but check that the engine is actually turning.

Citroen Xantia Activa Turbo 2 litre 1998 - Xantia Perplexia - RichardW

www.frenchcarforum.co.uk - register, then you will find an activa specific forum - more info than you can shake a stick at. It does rather sound as if the engine has seized though...