SpeedSpike Camera`s - you know it makes sense. - oilrag

It looks like there will shortly be another step forwards in road safety - as these safety cameras are deployed nationally.

www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums/f86/high-tech-speed-.../

Just as saturation deployment of Gatso`s in our cities stopped the crazy overtakers and tailgaters in our 30mph zones - the SpeedSpike will do the same on `race-track` country roads.

No more bikes closing in on you at 150mph from behind and the car based psycho will have to follow the same path as other car drivers and at the same speed.

You can`t help feeling it`s an opportunity missed though. Surely the technology exists to govern cars speed direct from the ECU - via global positioning and also regulate the gap to the car in front?

Somehow, you just know that`s the future and an election winning policy for the first political party to embrace it.

SpeedSpike Camera`s - you know it makes sense. - ijws15

But wait for the outcry from those who believe it is their god given right to break the speed limit and anything which makes them easier to catch is a breach of their human rights!

Only a matter of time and the best thing that could happen to the roads.

SpeedSpike Camera`s - you know it makes sense. - galileo

Firstly, I've no objection to observing SENSIBLE speed limits.

Secondly, given the dire state of the nation's debt and the no doubt high cost of setting up and running this system, how sensibly do you think they'll adjust limits to ensure the revenue from fines makes it profitable.

George Orwell, you should be living to see your prophecies come true!

Edited by galileo on 20/04/2010 at 13:26

SpeedSpike Cameras - you know it makes sense without an apostrophe. - Bilboman

Education not legislation!! I would like to think that this technology could be used in a didactic way, rather than as a "blunt instrument." For example, a more severe punishment for the motorist who breaks the speed limit or overtakes illegally repeatedly, whereas a one-off lapse, the driver who doesn't quite slow down in time for the new limit, could (and should) be dealt with much more leniently. By homing in on genuine accident blackspots and really hammering the more dangerous and selfish drivers and letting off the minor transgressors, the roads really could become safer, motorists would come roudn to the idea of electronic enforcement, and the income generated from all this technology could actually be justified 100%. If only...

SpeedSpike Camera`s - you know it makes sense. - AlanGowdy

"You can`t help feeling it`s an opportunity missed though. Surely the technology exists to govern cars speed direct from the ECU - via global positioning and also regulate the gap to the car in front?"

Ha - careful oilrag, you are touching a nerve there with many forumers! I suggested exactly this some time ago in a thread and the responses were as venomous as if I'd recommended legalising paedophilia. But having just read in my local paper of a motorcyclist who was clocked at over 100 mph on a country B-road and 60 mph through the 30 zone in my village (overtaking on a double white line and doing wheelies!) I must conclude that morons like that make the adoption of this controlling technology inevitable - regardless of the protests. Personally I'd like to see everyone drive so sensibly (and sensitively) that speed limits were unnecessary - but I'm a hopeless dreamer.

Edited by AlanGowdy on 21/04/2010 at 10:13