Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - houtbai

I have an XK150 replica. 4.2 jag auto returning 18mpg. Just about too expensive to drive due to fuel. I have considreed and rejected LPG and intend to repower with diesel. A nice big, low tech powerful economical complete with autobox and must be rear wheel drive! BMW probably- 2.5 tds. My question- which BMW engine is best for power, economy, low tech (minimum electronics)? what years/ engine model ?

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - madf

For such a project you need a qualified and experienced auto electrician and about two years.

Modern ECUs assume all sorts of fitted items as standard, none of which your car will ever have.

The idea of spending £5k to save £500 a year in petrol is ludicrous.

Edit . And it's an XK150.

I assume this is a windup.

Edited by madf on 19/04/2010 at 07:49

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - mike hannon
Darn, is it April 1 again already?
Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - jc2

Why a wind-up?;I converted a kitcar(which is all it is) from a Triumph six to a Ford four over a weekend.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Cliff Pope

If it's a kit car then it's not a replica:

"A copy of a work of art, as of a picture or statue, made by the maker of the original."

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - madf

It must be a windup.

An XK150 would be nothing without a Jag engine.

At moooooooooost it will do 3,000 miles/year - tops . At 18 mpg that is 167 gallons of petrol.

If the fuel consumption halved, it would save 83 gallons or £500 - tops.

Anyone who worries about 18mpg on 3,000 miles owns the wrong car...

The sheer logistics of changing speedo - the Jag will be cable driven, a BMW one will almost certainly be electronic, rev counter - impossible to use original instruments - the weight difference etc...and the loss of any Jaguar oily bits suggest the poster is not serious - or knows nowt about cars...

Edited by madf on 19/04/2010 at 16:03

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - rtj70

If not a wind-up then the poster knows nothing. Even if a kit-car/replica.... a diesel engine in an XK1x0 Jag is wrong. And the savings are not possible are they?

interesting comments, but possibly ill informed. An installaation can be effectively completed, subject to selecting a good engine configuration, in about two weeks. Many ECU`s do NOT depend on lots of additional sensors-the BMWe34 for example employs very few. A good engine can be aquired for hundreds, in a donor. vehicle providing all electrics, loom and power plant. My mechanic advises considerably less than the £5K you suggest., nearer £1K. I cover about 15K miles per year at 18mpg. =833 gallons. If 40mpg is achievable with a different engine, that is a saving of 400 gallons = £2000 +. Five years savings ? the Yes £10000. It becomes possible to keep the car on the road.instead of yet another car stuck in the garage due to unaffordadable running costs.

Those of us who drive different cars do it very much for our own enjoyment- whilst hoping others also appreciate the cars appearance. Yes an XK150 - but as I andeavoured to point out in my first post - a REPLICA - copy, pretend.

I am closing in on the E34 1991-1996 because it appears to fit the bill. Nice big smooth 6 cylinder, 143 hp that easily chips to 180plus, massive torque economical, and coupled to a large bore stainless exhaust can even sound good.. Not a wind up.

Yep houtbay capetown - lovely- getting less so. Gunfire not an uncommon sound at night \!

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Lygonos

Why not a 2.5 BMW petrol - must surely be easier to acquire, would manage low 30s MPG in a lightweight replica I'd imagine, and would get the 170-180bhp without the tedious lack of revs the diesel would offer.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Avant

Houtbai - come back and explain your logic in a bit more detail. It seems to me (and I think others) that the amount you'd need to spend would take a lifetime to be pauid back in better mpg.

Why not use the Jaguar as a fun car and buy a cheap runaround for maybe £2,000?

PS - Houtbai or Hout Bay is a lovely place near Cape Town - do you live there?

Edited by Avant on 19/04/2010 at 19:54

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Andy P

I find the idea of putting a diesel engine in a droptop slightly odd - surely when you're driving around with the hood down the last thing you want to listen to is a diesel engine (even if it's a BMW one). They're fine in a tintop where there's plenty of soundproofing but in an XK150? Spoils the entire character of the car IMHO.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Rattle

Even if it does 18mpg it will cost you far more to faff about putting a new engine in it. A car like this will probably only do 2k a year anyweay!

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Avant

Fair enough, Houtbai - you clearly know what you want. But if it's going to look good it needs to 'go good' as well - you don't want any suggestion of those 'specials' one used to see in the 50s and 60s. They looked like racing cars but underneath the bonnet there beat the homely heart of a Ford Popular.

So definitely 6 cylinders and at least 3 litres: I'd definitely consider a petrol engine if I were you, as your XK replica might not have as much soundproofing as the average BMW.

Edited by Avant on 24/04/2010 at 15:37

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - rtj70

I think Avant's suggestion of a petrol engine is not a bad one. A lot of diesel engines rely on hydraulic mounts to stop the vibrations getting into the cabin... you might find that fitting a diesel engine in a open top XK150 replica spoils the car.

My uncles real XK140 drop top is still quite fast for it's age. I personally could not imagine it with a diesel engine.

uncles modern 6 cyl real xk 140 was probably circa 200hp - possibly slightly more - with a ladder frame chassis. Doubt it would be wise to use too much HP now mindful of its age and value. My XK150 is 250HP, can use all the hp due to stronger triangulated/ spaceframe chasis/ all new suspension and mechanics. I do not percieve vibration to be a problem - modern 6 cylinder diesels are better balanced than older 6 cyl petrol. with a few tweaks about 200hp should be possible and considerably higher torque than an xk. Critically - it will be driveable in cost terms for many years to come. for those voyeaurs that feel others (me!) should set up my car to suit their wishes...go get your own !

with 200hp, loads of torque, a light car and 2 seat s, should still just about get me to the shops and back !

Addendum! Now 2016 and diesel powered xk150 replica has covered some 15k miles in the past 2 years. Remapped tds 2.5 with bigger intercooler, and v12 back differential giving just over 2k revs at 70 mph. Hp is circa 190 torque significantly more than the 4.2 6 cylinder jag. Delivers just under 40 mpg, went to Monaco cannes last year and, St tropez, returning via the french alps.2500 miles trip. Fantastic torque and acceleration , installation fits like a glove but significantly less weight than the cast iron jag lump. Gearbox output rpm is 1:1 in 5th, same as jag box. Huge tyres and wires complete the gearing deal. Exhaust is stainless jag twin system. Lots of engine bay sound insulation, but also the well smooth bm 6 cylinder. Cruises happily at faster than you should and 600 mlies on a tank. Jobon. Galv chassis tax exempt old red leather interior oak dash all smiths instruments big old chrome bumpers and lucas tripod headlights. Seems to fool everyone, old English white. Aiming for s spain this year and across france down to Italy, 6 week trip. Absolutely love it's power, reliability and cost effective motoring. Did the removal and installation myself, kept the bm engine loom and essential 3 fuses, moved the coded key sensor and key to under the bonnet, and installed a second loom for lights etc, . And came 2nd at the south zeal classic car show last week dartmoor! ( but didn't lift the bonnet :) )

Edited by houtbai on 10/03/2016 at 22:58

Addendum!

Edited by houtbai on 10/03/2016 at 23:01

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Chris M

Appreciate the update.

You got rather a hard time on here back in 2010 but it's good to know you now have something which you clearly enjoy AND can now afford to run.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - slkfanboy

ON topic, BMW basically make two diesel engines a 4 pot and a 6 pot. The higher power output is done via tuning and bigger or extra turbo's

All are complex units IMHO and very good too. Blocks are solid and I don't many/any revisions since first developed.

A Jag 4.2 is for sure a lovely beast!

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Wukl

This topic makes me shudder.

Which of course, is also the overriding experience of any diesel. Apart from the dreadful drone at speed. Death rattle at idle. And asthmatic rev range in between. And stinky fuel. Yes, everything you'd want in an XK150!

Ah the armchair voyeur.

Ah the armchair voyeur.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - Sofa Spud

If I won the Euromillions one of my fantasies is to fit an original Jaguar E Type roadster (preferebly red) with a Ford 2.5 litre 4-cylinder direct injection diesel used in the Ford Transit until about 15 years ago - just because I could!

The one proviso would be that the car could be returned to its original specification so no cutting and shutting.

Next would be to revive the historic Lister-Jaguar name - easier than you might think - Mk2 Jag fitted with a 2-cylinder Lister diesel engine.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 11/03/2016 at 23:20

Removing the engine and ecu from the donor....I am not recommending others follow my method however, I in effect reverse engineered the wiring, removing every unwanted circuit, whilst checking the engine ran smoothly as each circuit and supplying fuse/ live feed was removed from the fuse box. First task was remove all upholstery sound proofing etc, and unpick the loom. Trace each wire back and remove it from the fusebox. Leaving only 3 final fuses which were essential to keep the engine running. Do away with the in tank pump- install a mono pump on a switch in case needed. Remove the ignition key sensor ring, and feed that through the bulkhead with key taped into it, break up the steering column lock and remove the ignition switch again take that through the bulkhead (cut a hole! ). And with ecu, ignition lock and key/sensor ring still attached, lift out engine and box. Took me a week but foc and it worked. Prise open the tabs on the ecu, remove the push fit chip and install the uprated chip. Replace ecu covers bend tabs over. Lovely torque gain, peaking at 5.5k which is pretty much the same as the old petrol engines. The sensors on the engine and their wiring remain in situ. The only sensor not on the engine itself was air temp on the chassis leg. Engine revs sender is via a hall switch and magnets added to the crank feeding the smiths tachograph via a 12v bulb to match the tachograph requirements. Speedo similar but hall switch and magnets on the prop shaft, via a clever mates tiny chip wired into the speedo housing driving a step motor. Absolutely loved the ingenuity challenges. Way better than sudoku!!

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - gordonbennet

Hats off to anyone prepared to tackle such a job, well done Houtbai.

I note the comments above about noise, a smooth 6 pot turboDiesel is a world apart from even the most modern 4 cylinder versions, which with few notable exceptions still sound like they belong in tractors.

Jag XK150 replica 4.2 auto ! - which BMW diesel is best ? - DirtyDieselDogg

Houtbai,

I, for one, being a thrifty farmers Son, with a real daft fondness for 6 cylinder diesels, am "blown away" by your very sensible conversion, being not unlike some of the "re-engining" petrol-to-diesel projects on "G" Wagens, in its complexity.

Enjoy your car Sir!

And a great big raspberry to the nay-sayers.

Petrol, hawk-spit, b***** stuff is only fit for chainsaws and brushcutters.

Regards

Marcus