Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - djmorton
I currently own a Peugeot 306 HDI Meridian, it's X reg and has done 185,00 miles. It's due for its second cambelt change soon and also needs a new speed sensor as the speedo occasionally drops to zero and stops working.

I am wondering whether to sell it and buy another newer diesel hatchback or keep it, but will have to spend money on it. Newer cars would be something like a Ford Focus, Seat Leon, etc up to around £2000.

I currently do around 600 miles a week in it, I use it for long motorway journeys once a week, about 300-350 miles. This is business mileage. The rest is short commutes to work.

My worry is that it will get more and more expensive to run the 306. But if I buy a newer diesel would such things as dual mass flywheel failure make keeping the 306 a better option? I could buy another 306 with less mileage.

I get paid mileage for the longer journeys, so running costs are important. Would a switch to petrol see me better off? I'd get more petrol car for my money than a diesel car..

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - Avant

Most advice on this forum, when people ask about buyibg a car for £2,000 or so, is to the effect that

- condition is more important than make or model of car, and

- if you have a car of this vintage, hang on to it unless and until it gets uneconomic to repair.

That sounds like a later 306: the 307 came in soon after that, and got a much poorer press both for driveability and reliability ( as did the 206 compared with the 205).

I'd say hang on if the above is all that's wrong with your 306. But if your 306 is in a poor state generally, something with the VAG PD 1.9 engine could be your best bet (Octavia, Golf or Leon).

Edited by Avant on 18/04/2010 at 21:46

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - Pat L

Spending £2k could get you a money pit. My advice would be to go for one of these options:

- stick with the 306 and hope for the best (oil and filter changes, maybe risk the cambelt!)

- OR ... if the 306 is in reasonable condition bodywork-wise, and you want a reliable car for a couple of years, have new alternator, battery, starter and belts fitted to pre-empt any annoying failures. Maybe some other bits depending on what's been done recently. (I've always thought about doing this but have never actually done it, but it kind of makes sense to me). Cambelt optional (see the on-going cambelt thread).

- OR... change the car but spend more on the replacement. (£3k+)

It is a tricky decision, I'm going through a similar delemma with our X-reg A4.

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - b308

I'd agree... stick... you know this vehicle well... who knows what load of rubbish you'd end up with for £2k on another one... spend part of the 2k on fixing the faults you mention and save the rest in case anything else cropped up.

I think sticking would be the best option then. The car is in very good condition considering the mileage. The only things that need doing are the cambelt, couple of front tyres and speedo/speed sensor really.

The A/C has gone also, but this is uneconomical to repair. Pipes have corroded and split. I was told by an independent A/c person that I could change the split pipes but then it would be most likely that after a winter or two of salty gritted roads the pipes would go in another place. I suppose as it is completely gone I could have a go myself at changing the pipes.

The cambelt interval is 96,000 miles and was done by the previous owner at around that. I'll have to check if the water pump and other bits were done. I'll change the lot though.

I've owned it since 120,000 miles, so I do know it well.

I think overall I just fancy a change and needed an excuse!

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - 659FBE

I think you're right to stick with it. The 306 was a good model and you have a version with the best engine. They handle well and don't rust.

At your budget, you could well end up with something a lot worse than the car you have.

One aspect of my formula for cheap motoring is to use the Internet to find the weak points relating to the car you have and to address them, ot at least be aware of them. One point which might be relevant is the failure of the crankshaft pulley on these engines - it's a rubber bonded damper. It comes off when you change the cambelt so you have an opportunity to change it for zero labour .

If your car has not had a new electric fuel lift pump (it lives in the tank) you are probably on borrowed time. These pumps last a lot longer if you drive around with the tank nearly full as opposed to nearly empty as they run submerged in fuel. They are better lubricated and much better cooled in a full tank of fuel.

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - volcane

We (family) have a similar 306 HDI and had a problem with the low pressure diesel lift pump giving up, luckily we had no further problems (careful cleaning of the tank and fuel system). Recently changed the crankshaft pulley as it was making the distinctive ratlle, so 659 is spot on with his advice!!

I'm one step ahead :)

The crank shaft pulley was changed a while ago and I made sure it was the latest version fitted. It did start to rattle.

Thanks for the point about the fuel pump, is there any way to check it?

Peugeot 306 - Stick or Twist - 659FBE

Unless the pump has been recently replaced, I would change it. The inconvenience of a breakdown coupled with the possibility of secondary damage to the fuel system caused by the swarf it generates makes this advisable. If it's the original, you've had your money's worth.

Watch also the main fuel filter on these cars. If you just open the plastic "pot" to change the element, there's every possibility of the debris trapped in the filter entering the HP fuel system... It's a stupid design - either change the whole filter assembly or do the job on the bench under clean room conditions, after having drained out the filter housing.

Spend a little money on it and keep it.