Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - Ian D

Hi there, I have narrowed my car search down to a Focus 1.6 TDCi hatch or estate of around the 2005/early 2006 vintage. My question is whether to go for a 90 bhp model or a 110 bhp one (one without the DPF if I can).

Is the 110 bhp model a step increase in drivability over the 90 bhp or is there not much in it? The car will be used as a general family second car doing shortish runs (8 to 20 miles) with the odd longer run (200 miles).

If the 90 bhp model is very nearly as good as the 110 it makes the search easier!

Thanks

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - dieselicious

I'd get a petrol engined Focus if I was doing trips of that kind of distance. I don't think you'd be doing the mileage to justify the higher purchase cost, servicing costs and possible repair costs of a diesel.

Either the 1.6 or the 2.0 are good engines.

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - WellKnownSid

Seconded. Little to go wrong on a 4-5 year old petrol car, shudder to think what could be waiting for you on an uncared for CR diesel.

Okay, so I admit to buying and owning an old, unloved, high mileage CR diesel with no problems covering 40k a year - but the more I read the more I think I'm the exception that proves the rule!

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - peanut

Thirded. I have a ford with the 90 bhp - takes 5-7 miles (or more) to warm up in winter.

Peanut

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - tanvir

Get a 1.6 petrol. I have a 58 plate one and I get 450ish from a tank in mixed driving.

Warms up quickly and is fast enough. And you'll find many more lower mileage ones on the market. Most diesels of that vintage will be shagged

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - Roly93

Get a 1.6 petrol. I have a 58 plate one and I get 450ish from a tank in mixed driving.

Warms up quickly and is fast enough. And you'll find many more lower mileage ones on the market. Most diesels of that vintage will be shagged

We too have a 1.6 petrol Focus on an 09 plate. It returns 40 mpg on avaerage and up to 44 on a run. A great car around town but a little high revving on motorways. For your driving profile I wouldn't go for a diesel.
Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - ianr3811
does anyone know what the difference is between the 90 and the 110 and is it inter changeable parts ? maybe like vw passat tdi just add a black box from ebay more hp and better mpg. is there a road tax difference between the two ? ex-police focus 1.6 diesel estates 2009 selling for £2,625 with 121,000 miles with no tax or mot
Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - confusedbuyer

I had a 110 bhp from 2006. I picked it over the 90bhp as it felt considerably heavier than the previous Focus where I had a 1.6 petrol. It was a good car, but almost deathly-dull compared to the original Focus. In the end I sold it for a 1.8 TDCi version of the first Focus. I think they carried it over as an engine and I actually preferred it as it was far more difficult to stall from standstill.

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - grimep

To echo the above a petrol would probably make more sense for those sort of miles, and usage. You've correctly identified the potential costs associated with a DPF, but you also have to bear in mind the potential costs on a diesel with dual-mass flywheel, turbo, etc. Also these 1.6 units are fairly notorious for carbon / sludge issues (possibly caused by leaking injectors, or other problems) which kill the turbo and generally lead to needing a new engine.

I've ignored all that and got one anyway, a 90 bhp in an estate, obviously each person has their own preferences but i'm more than happy with the performance. These days I drive with a fairly light foot with an eye on the avg consumption, which I can usually keep around 60mpg unless I've got a lot of town driving. Having said that it easily keeps up with modern traffic, eg the hectic dual carriageway commute at rush hour. I too originally wanted a 110 thinking a 90 would be too slow, but most have a DPF fitted and everything is going to be under that much more stress.

In May I drove down to Dorset with the Mrs and the kids, a 6 man tent, recliner chairs, calor bottle, etc etc- the roof box was stuffed and the estate boot was full. The car went as well as it always does, and I couldn't even get the consumption to drop below 60mpg even with a heavy right foot on the motorway.

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - Bobbin Threadbare

I had a 99bhp 1.6L petrol Mk1 Focus. I liked it; I loaded it up with 4 adults, all our luggage etc and did a 1000 mile holiday drive in it. Was absolutely fine. I did get rid in order to get more pull on the hills on my commute though; if anyone ever cut me up, there was nothing in reserve! However, the torque from a diesel is greater than the petrol.

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - laldog
Get a petrol as already pointed out the turbo is a time bomb and if the turbo lasts longer than the timing chain your doing well.
These PSA engines were a terrible fail and its not if but when they fail!!!!!
Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - Collos25

Thats why the majority of PSA diesels do mega mileage without any problem.I hear lots of hearsay evidence but the garages and roadsides are not littered with broken turbos if you look at figures at Fords for reclaims on turbos on vehiclesupto three years old it is virtually nil..

Ford Focus - 90 bhp or 110 bhp 1.6 TDCi ? - grimep

That's pretty well why I decided to take a risk on one, of the millions sold some are going to go wrong but not all.