Odd letter from police - brettmick

Hi all,

This evening I have come home to a letter from a police force two counties away from where I live telling me that they saw a car registered ALMOST to me (surname spelt slightly wrong) of the same make, model and colour as mine but with a very different number plate (2 1/2 years older) doing 51 in a 30.

They are not issuing a ticket, just teling me I am a naughty boy. The car was on my driveway all day that day.

I have askedMID and the records show a Honda Civic SE with that number plate (well - if old bill think it is mine I am entilited to ask - surely?).

DVLA phone lines are all busy and there is no return or correspondence address on the police letter.

Should I:

- Ignore it.

- Worry that someone has registered their car on false plates to my address and is driving around the country like a loon in my name...

Any thoughts gratefully received???

Odd letter from police - kithmo

It sounds like a fake from somebody you've upset, if it was genuine I would expect it to have a reply contact address or phone number.
I would contact the force concerned and report it, impersonating a police officer (or force in this case) would be taken very seriously.
Odd letter from police - WellKnownSid

Take it to your nearest police station. They'll be able to help you out - it needs to be reported whether it's a hoax, an admin error, or a cloned plate.

Odd letter from police - Cliff Pope

they saw a car registered ALMOST to me (surname spelt slightly wrong) of the same make, model and colour as mine but with a very different number plate (2 1/2 years older)

The other car has a different number plate. It happens to look like yours (same model and colour) and is registered to someone with a slightly different name. So it's not a clone. Is your name John Smith or Algernon Fotherington-Thomas?

Odder coincidences have happened. I once parked next to a car identical with mine but having its number one digit different. I recently found by accident there is someone with my name living 10 miles away (rural area)

Odd letter from police - DP

There is an identical silver Golf to ours locally with one digit (the last one) difference in the registration plate. One is an E and one is an F, so well within the realms of an ANPR screw up as well! :-)