Drink-drive offence – invalidated insurance? - dcharmers

I was recently involved in an accident with another vehicle.

The other driver smelt alcohol on my breath and called the Police; they arrived, breathalysed me, and I failed the test. I was subsequently charged, went to court and was fined and disqualified from driving.

I made an insurance claim and my company, Royal Sun Alliance, who subsequently wrote off my car and paid out, sending me a cheque.

I did not tell them about the conviction during the time, of the claim, as I did not know what the outcome of my case was going to be. The claim is still ongoing, and I have not made them aware of the conviction.

Is there a likelihood that they’ll say my insurance is invalidated and want the money back?

MORE TH>N, who is the direct arm of Royal Sun Alliance Insurance, have on their Policy Wording that “we will not pay any legal costs or provide legal services for charges to do with speeding, driving under the influence of drink or drugs, or for parking offences.

Edited by dcharmers on 11/04/2010 at 16:13

Drink-drive offence – invalidated insurance? - dieseldogg

I "think" that they are obliged, by law, to cover third party costs...............but not your own costs/losses ie as per the wording above, so perhaps the payment for your car will be reconsidered?

Drink-drive offence – invalidated insurance? - Statistical outlier

I'd be surprised if they did not ask for the money for your car back - you were not insured for your own losses. An expensive and painful lesson! :-(

Drink-drive offence – invalidated insurance? - ijws15

If the disclaimer above is the only one you are covered for the loss of the car - they won't pay your legal costs in fighting any legal action from others arising from the accident though.