Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - amw

I bought a 2007 combo with 25k around 6 months ago have had it serviced and has run like a dream until yesterday, the revs shot up and smoke was pouring out the exhaust i pulled over and removed the ignition key but the engine carried on revving like crazy with loads of smoke for around 2 minutes and then stopped.

It wont fire up now, i have no recovery to get it to a garage and its used daily as i'm self employed, the van is appx 2&1/2 years old and has around 33k what could cause the engine to behave like that?

Edited by amw on 10/04/2010 at 13:15

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Peter D

Overfilled with oil or a blocked crank case breather or a failed turbo so it was leaking oil into the air intake and self fueling the car. How high did it rev. ? Have you checked the oil level. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 10/04/2010 at 14:17

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - oilrag

Ex Post Office? No oil change history prior to purchase?

It always seems to be VX with this type of problems and not Fiat with this engine.

I`m uncomfortable with VX 20,000 two year oil change interval on 5w30 for these engines - but that`s not an informed opinion.

I have the Fiat version of the engine, in a van, running on Mobil1 0w40 - 6,000 change intervals (half manufacturers interval)

All the best anyway OP - it sounds like the turbo`s gone or it was overfilled with oil.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - amw

When the van was serviced 4-5 months ago the mechanic did mention the oil level was well over the required amount but was drained with new oil and filter fitted.

Was owned by a lease company prior to me.

Do you think i could take it to vauxhall and have the work carried out under the 3 year warranty new vehicles recieve even though i did not buy from new?

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - 406HDIexecutive

It sounds like the vans using the oil to keep itself going, the supply of disel is turned off with the key but a gasket or something keeps oil getting into the engine and thats why it revs more and more. It happened to me on an old citroen bx diesel with about 370,000 miles at this stage it just kept revving until the engine blew, the same problem happened again in a 205 with the same miles (these cars were badly serviced) however i found putting it into 5th to stall it cut the engine out but even so the engine was clean done if it was fueling itself. But a new van like that should have the problem fixed under warranty

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Faxo

VX are getting very tight on whether the vans have had the recall done for the DPF. If you haven't had it serviced at a VX dealership, chances are you won't have had it doen, and so VX wont pay under warranty.

Its caused by a faulty DPF regeneration, causing the sump to fill with diesel and then the engine starts running on its own oil, until it uses it all and the engine siezes

Could always try VX, its worth a shot

Looks like a hefty garage bill - any ideas on the best course of repair? maybe a recon engine or a re-build/repair of the existing engine.

How much damage is there likely to be and what parts affected, i got a feeling vx will wriggle out of it as we have no service book and the independant who serviced it may not of used genuine parts.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Peter D

Pull the dipstick and tell us how much oil/diesel is in there. Regards Peter

A little difficult in the dark but it looks to be at the max level no obvious sign of any deisel.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Big John
Could be a failed oil seal in the turbo, spraying oil into the air intake and being burnt as fuel.
Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - 1litregolfeater

interesting idea, or maybe he's leaking diesel some other way.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Topsy

Hi

How did you get on?

I had exactly the same problem . Ended up costing over £4000 to repair!!!.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - combohell

Hi

Have the same problem, just cost me £2150 for engine rebuild and software update for DPF which they are telling me is the cause. 2007 with 58K on the clock and full service history.

Melted the injectors, glo plugs and bent con rods!

Absolutley gutted.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - enterek

What was the cause of the problem??????

Exactly the same thing just happend to my van and Im waiting to hear from the garage.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - ChannelZ

DPF regeneration fails, fills crankcase with diesel, which fills up too far, then engine decides it'll run on the mix of diesel and lubricating oil. Scratch one diesel engine that's run away.

Oddly, older GM designed engines had a failsafe, where a flap near the inlet manifold would close on over-revving, cutting off the air and preventing the engine dieseling and running away. Only seen it on the 1.7 "Low-Blow", and the 2.0/2.2DTI engines. These mickey-mouse bought in Fiat things mustn't have that vital safety feature.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - Marisa

Hi,

Exactly the same happened to me over the weekend - the initial diagnostics from the mechanic just came back and one of the injectors also melted. Just interested to know whether you had any new news on this? Wondering whether worth contacting Vauxhall to find out why this seems to be such a regular occurrence and whether they would bother to help fix the problem.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - dpf

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - ChannelZ

I bought a 2007 combo with 25k around 6 months ago have had it serviced and has run like a dream until yesterday, the revs shot up and smoke was pouring out the exhaust i pulled over and removed the ignition key but the engine carried on revving like crazy with loads of smoke for around 2 minutes and then stopped.

You should have stalled the engine immediately your discovered it wouldn't stop by turning off the ignition. The engine was running off it's own lubricating oil, totally indepenend of ECU, injectors, whatever.

If it stopped after two minutes, the engine is almost certainly a boat anchor now.

Oddly, older GM designed engines had a failsafe that killed runaway diesel engines by blocking the air intake with a butterfly flap. The rubbish Fiat engines they're using now don't have this feature, so can easily runaway when (not if) the engine starts eating it's own oil.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - unthrottled

The rubbish Fiat engines they're using now don't have this feature, so can easily runaway when (not if) the engine starts eating it's own oil.

Don't the Fiats have anti shudder valves? It is only a simple ECU modification to turn an anti shudder valve into an emegency air cut off...

The rubbish Fiat engines they're using now don't have this feature, so can easily runaway when (not if) the engine starts eating it's own oil.

Don't the Fiats have anti shudder valves? It is only a simple ECU modification to turn an anti shudder valve into an emegency air cut off...

Not sure about the 1.2/1.3, but the 1.9 16v in my Astra didn't.

Vauxhall combo 2007 1.3 cdti - Engine revving like crazy without key in ignition? - focussed

I had major engine problems with a Corsa D 1.3 cdti. Starting problems, alternator failed at 14 k miles, indicator switch, failed glow plugs etc. The Vauxhall dealer stated that after extensively examining the motor following stripdown that the motor had been run on entirely the wrong type and grade of oil. I produced all the receipts for the recommended Vauxhall oil and filters that I bought from that dealer. Silence for a week or so. I got a replacement engine-eventually.

Says it all really about the quality of Vauxhall oil.