Filtering at speed - gramar

Don't take this the wrong way but why do motorcyclists nowadays insist on filtering through lanes of traffic - cars/lorries at speeds above the national limit? I refer in particular to the stretch of the A14 between Bury St Edmunds and Cambridge that I travel to work along and back most weekdays.

As a retired motorcyclist (temporary)I I couldn't do it. I don't have the nerve and isn't it just a wee bit dangerous? I am aware that filtering between lanes of stationary or slow moving traffic is acceptable- legal even. I'm just worried one day i'm going to witness something horrific on my way to or from work on what is one of East Anglia's worst roads that has a black history of serious accidents due in no small part to a combination of sheer volume, speed and inattention.

I have commuted in recent years by bike on the odd occasion along this road and did not feel comfortable doing so. I would point out I'm no saint or stranger to fast bikes.

Filtering at speed - Cris_on_the_gas

You are quite correct except that this is not just a wee bit dangerous it is sucidial.

I guess that they may be frustrated by the fact that they have followed a car for some time which could have pulled over into lane 1 to allow the biker past but has not. Still no excuse for trying to save a few seconds by risking your life.

Exceeding national speed limit and weaving between slower moving traffic can only give motorcyclists a bad name or worst end up dead.

Although filtering between lanes of slow moving traffic is not clearly defined in the Highway Code from a motorcyclists perspective I try and stick to not more than 20 mph faster than the traffic and if traffic if moving at the speed limit or 40 mph whichever is less then just stay behind it. Of course at a safe distance of at least 2 seconds in the dry, double if wet. Nice low gear too so speed is easily controlled.

Filtering at speed - SteveLee
I do it, it's not suicidal if you only filter in certain circumstances, i.e. if there's no gap big enough for one of other of the cars to change lane and I only do it with a closing speed of around 10mphand no where near junctions. If you stick to these simple rules it's perfectly safe.
Filtering at speed - DP

I agree with SteveLee.

Filtering at speed - Cris_on_the_gas

Yes agreed but the original post was filtering being done in excess of the national speed limit on a dual carriageway which must be a no go in any situation.

Always better to arrive a few minutes late than crushed & dead between two vehicles.

Filtering at speed - SteveLee

As I said - I do it in the above prescribed the circumstances, I didn't say I don't do it above the national speed limit, because I do and I think it's perfectly safe if you use your brain.

Filtering at speed - Berisford

I hope you complete my image of you doing the deed by having your headlamp on full beam too?

Filtering at speed - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

My bike is about 1 m wide so any filtering takes place , with caution, when traffic is very slow or stationary.

Filtering at speed - runnerbean14

Going back to the original post, could one causative factor be that the general standard of driving on two-lane dual carriageways in the UK is so poor? People hang around in the right hand lane for far too long when they could move across to the inside, which is, after all, the default lane.

I often think these drivers would move back a damn sight quicker if it was a single carriageway - and why should there be any difference, particularly if someone else behind (or maybe a string of six or even ten others) is trying to get past?

On a bike, the chance to 'filter' in these circumstances is quite hard to resist - I do try to resist, not always succesfully, as it's not hard to imagine that it tees off the car drivers, and in their (often literally) blinkered state they won't see their poor use of roadspace as contributory.

Also, overtaking on the left is still illegal in the UK, isn't it?

Filtering at speed - gramar
Runnerbean

Well said - I entirely agree. I too would find it hard to resist the temptation. My concerns are for the rider, experienced and mature yes but still oh so vulnerable to the idiot driver given that many modern cars have serious blindspots.

Gramar
Filtering at speed - johncyprus

Not really a sensible thing to do because there is so little to gain and so much to loose, too any bad drivers out there especially those on their mobile phones either talking or texting as they unexpectedly drift across and knock them motorcyclists off.

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 11/07/2010 at 23:00

Filtering at speed - liam jackson

Its perfectly safe i do it. just keep the speed down and hover over the brake. Just expect car drivers not to see you.

Filtering at speed - TerryB31

I think that when you ask this question, its clear that you are not a motorcyclist, if you were you would understand. Firstly, cars are bigger and safer than bikes so when they ( if the cap fits) see us coming they just hog the outside lane thinking tough s*&t you can wait. Secondly the afore mentioned drivers lack the basic driving skills of a modern motorbiker (again, if the cap fits) so does not understand how safe it is because he does not have the ability to see what we see and react to what is happening around us. Thirdly the reason we manage to do this and remain safe is largly down to the power that a bike has that most car drivers could not comprehend. And the superior skills developed over years of motorbiking. They make me laugh, talking about how fast their car can go and that it can accelerate from 0-60 in 7.5 sec or whatever. Do me a favour chaps (cap fit etc) most bikes will be doing over a ton in that time. You guys dont even know how to use what little speed you have in your cars. So please go back to your Audis and Mercs and leave the proffessional driving to the bikers and truckers.

Filtering at speed - Problem_Polo :-/

If only there were no cars, just bikes eh? And then we would see that the myth that all bike accidents are down to those silly, stupid, inferior car drivers would be revealed as just that, a myth. Who would you God-like bikers blame for your frequently fatal high speed acrobatics then, I wonder? The pedestrians maybe? The roads, thin air?! It's precisely this attitude, coupled with frequent displays of idiotic riding, that puts in place the barriers which exist between motorists and motorcyclists (rather than 'motorbikers'). And for God sake, turn your b***** main beams off when they're glaring straight into my rearview mirror, please... :-l

Filtering at speed - Mi16

I rode bikes for many years and have driven cars for over 40 averaging 20000 miles a year. As an ex biker I really do use all 3 mirrors and am very aware of road conditions, defects and the failings of many distracted motorists. Crass stupidity exists on both sides.

The French example is interesting, I have lived and travelled extensively over there and there is a polite co-existance (incredible but true given historic aggression on the French roads ). Make room for the biker and he/she will generally acknowledge you by sticking a foot out in thanks and if you are aware they are coming through, so be it.

Excessive speed is an issue, best on the track rather than road, but even on the Nurburgring there are debates whether bikes and cars should be allowed round at the same time.