VW Polo 2002 - 1.4 16v - Potential Map Sensor Fault (EPC/EMS warning light) - jonboyd

Hi Guys, help is required :)

Whilst driving over the wknd the EPC & EMS warning light appeared on my dashboard, I commute to work 40 miles a day and phoned up Nationwide Autocentre to potentially book my car in. They wanted a payment of £49 to diagnose the fault which I refused to pay.

Being an RAC member I called them up and a helpful engineer connected it to their computer and the following fault appeared:

Suspect map sensor faults were stored.

Fault P0106 - manifold absolute pressure/barometric pressure circuit range/performance problem.

Having diagnosed the fault via the helpful RAC I then took it to the garage hoping they would cure the problem but they still want the £49 charge for the diagnostic equipment.

My question is that the car is under Warranty with - Direct Warranty Administration and they tell me the part isnt covered. Surely it should be as its to do with the engine?

Do I pay for the map sensor and get my mate to fit it or take it to the garage and hopefully they will agrue with the warranty company on my behalf?

Your help is required PLEASE.

Thanks

Jon

VW Polo 2002 - 1.4 16v - Potential Map Sensor Fault (EPC/EMS warning light) - DP

Every warranty has a list of exclusions, the length of this list usually being inversely proportional to the cost of the policy. I believe Warranty Direct have quite a range of levels of cover, so you need to check what policy you have. I have seen blanket exclusions on "sensors" on some cheaper warranties before, so it may be you have this too. A check of the documentation will tell you for sure. But no warranty covers everything under the bonnet. Even the most expensive will have some exclusions.

Just another suggestion: if you bought the car from a garage / trader within the last few months, you might try speaking with them directly to see if they can help with the cost of this repair. Trade sales give you some legal comeback should your new purchase develop a fault shortly after you take delivery. The length of time this applies for depends on purchase price and other conditions, but if it's within the last few months, and you didn't buy the car for significantly less than its normal market value, it's worth a try.

Edited by DP on 07/04/2010 at 17:41

VW Polo 2002 - 1.4 16v - Potential Map Sensor Fault (EPC/EMS warning light) - elekie&a/c doctor

I would not rush to get the Map sensor replaced.This Dtc fault code is often set by a problem elsewhere.Problems with vacuum and breather pipes and even valve timing caused by loose cam belts (2 on this model ,if I recall)can flag this fault.The sensor itself rarely gives trouble.hth

VW Polo 2002 - 1.4 16v - Potential Map Sensor Fault (EPC/EMS warning light) - jonboyd

Guys cheers for your advice - I guess the RAC guys view can't be final..........I am tempted to pay the £49 for the garage diagnosis, least then the problem will be rectified?

The warranty company say the Inlet Manifold is covered. I suppose I could fix the Map Sensor through a friend but what if the light still persists after a reset?

Just an update: took it to a local garage and they diagnosed it as throttle blockages, cleaned it out and warning lights are no longer showing............cost me £60 though and not covered under warranty lol.

Cheers

VW Polo 2002 - 1.4 16v - Potential Map Sensor Fault (EPC/EMS warning light) - BrianH2

After searching the internet for a solution to the EPC light, I changed the brake switch, the battery ,oil, air filter. Could'nt get the oil filter off or the plugs out!!

Then tried the plug under the accellerator peddle.

Still going into limp mode at idle waiting at traffic lights...EPC light on, clears on restart.

Looked at the vacuum tube running to the power assisted brakes. The tube fell off in my hands!!! Cracks in the four joints that run through the non return valve. This tube is a thermoplasic component and is totally unsuitable in this position, as it is exposted to a lot of heat.

Replaced the vacuum tube with a suitable Volvo vacuum tube I had spare from my Volvo 245 (524800 miles and still going).

The Polo now runs perfectly. SWMBO says I have earned many browny points.

BrianH