Fiat Spyder 2L - Starting after 12 months non use - pmh3

I was asked to have a quick look yesterday at a Fiat Spyder (indeterminate year), but must be a late model as it is lhd with American bumpers and auto transmission. American sourced?

It has been standing for about 4 years and has been started sucessfully in the past, about once every 12 months. It is fitted with a Bosch injection system that appears to be single point? Easy start allows it to fire up (probably on the ether) and then will sputter on 1/2 cylinders when cranking, but not run. The battery is remarkably lively for a 4year old battery that has been abused. I have suggested putting new petrol in but is there a way of bleeding the old petrol from the pump and fuel lines? My next move is to check whether there is a reasonable spark, but yesterday tools were negligible and poor lighting in the the subterranean garage. Can anybody with specific model knowledge tell me what fuel pump is used and where it is located. Access to the engine bay looks pretty difficult!

Edited by Avant on 04/04/2010 at 17:21

From some web browsing it seems as though the Bosch system uses an in tank pump that is controlled (ie made to run) by an air flap switch in the airflow sensor. (This switch is bypassed (overridden) by the start position of the ignition switch) It may be a L Jetronic? It appears that this air flap switch can become lazy after much non use

Can anybody confirm that this is the case.

Fiat Spyder 2L - Starting after 12 months non use - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like any early Bosch L-jet system with a fuel pump safety circuit switch in the airflow meter.You could try moving the air flap backwards and forwards to "wipe" the contacts.Alternatively take a close look at the airflow meter connector wiring numbers and you should see nos 36 and 39.Join these together to by-pass the fuel shut-off cicuit.Not sure where the pump is located,but usually on these old sytems ,it is fitted under the chassis at rear of car.hth

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 04/04/2010 at 18:31

Thanks elekie

It appears to be a common failure point on these!

I need to listen to see if fuel pump is running on strting stopping on release of key. Alt I will check for fuel flow.

It appears to be electronic injectors from what I have read - but visual access is difficult !

For anybody else looking this maybe a useful link

http://www.mirafiori.com/faq/fiatFI_may2002.pdf