Austin Healey/MGC - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Could anyone tell me the differences between an AH3000 engine and an MGC engine. The reason is that I have a full race MGC engine to dispose of and have touted it round both AH and MG sites. One person has replied to say that they are two completely different animals. I was under the impression that the 'C' engine was a natural progression on from the AH. Also can anyone tell me how to tell the difference between a 1098 and 1275 A series without pulling the head. Engine number is missing,you see.
Thanks
Austin Healey/MGC - madf
The AH 3000 engine was substantially revised to the MGC/Austin 3 lite engine. Are the parts common? Try the MGOC club website.

The 1098cc engine has a manufacturer's type no 10H, the 1275 12H. I recall that this may be cast on the block or cylinder head. (my surplus Haynes manual is some use:-)Also the 1275cc engine has two additional cylinder head nuts holding down the head. Take the front of the engine as the thermostat end.One at the thermostat end of the engine between and slightly behind the 2 rear bolts holding the thermostat on and one beside the second bolt at the rear of the engine holding on the heater pipe connections. (I do Not refer to bolts along the side of the engine in a row but just behind that line.
In other words a 1098 has 9 cylinder head bolts, a 1275 has 11.

Hope this is correct for the engine year you are looking at!
madf