X5 - BMW Lights - overend2
Driving home 11pm at the weekend I was followed for several miles by a BMW X5. For the first time in my life I started to understand the warnings on the news which state 'the following news report contains flash photography'. Every time the BMW hit even the slightest undulation in the road, the lights seemed to flash in my rearview. Switched to dim, started to get me in the wing mirrors, drove me potty.
In the end pulled over let her past.
Anyone had the same sort of experience?
X5 - BMW Lights - Graham567

One of my pet hates is cars with their lights set too high.

With the BMW the lights would have been just on the limit and as she went over bumps the rise would higher the beam and make it look like she was flashing.

With all my cars,i set the beam level using the leveling switch.Usually i have to take it down a couple of notches for it to be just below the cars boot in front.

X5 - BMW Lights - ijws15

Probably the HID lights

Should be banned - all they do is encourage people to drive faster in the dark, that is what "safer" means to most people!

Same as the "accident black spot" warning devices that allow you to exceed the speed limit but warn you when you approach "accident black spots".

Of course you all know what I mean by "accident black spot" don't you!

X5 - BMW Lights - Armstrong Sid
Probably the HID lights

From what I've seen I agree with that. I don't know if they encourage people to drive faster in the dark, but they definitely cause problems for people driving towards them, ie me.

As the OP mentioned, they seem to be hyper-sensitive to any undulation in the road; I've been in alot of situations where a car was coming towards me and I thought they were on full beam, only to see two seconds later they've gone back to "normal", and then two seconds later they're dazzling me again. It's those lights going slightly up and down with the level of the road surface. When the surface is absolutely flat there's no problem; but anything less than a bowling green seems potentially dangerous

X5 - BMW Lights - Altea Ego

>Should be banned - all they do is encourage people to drive faster in the dark, that is what "safer" means to most people!

What a stupid thing to say. why not ban lights totally? Ban driving in the dark?

tell you what Ban driving completely - that will be totaly safe wont it.

Edited by Altea Ego on 31/03/2010 at 17:45

X5 - BMW Lights - ijws15

Yes - some people post stupid comments . . .

It might just have been me . . . . . . .

The highway code says you should be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear and I have never had an issue with standard lights driving within or near the speed limit.

I believe there is legislation that limits the input wattage of headlights but not their light output - how long before we have LED headlamps within the law but that blind oncoming drivers for several seconds - now THAT IS dangerous.

Edited by ijws15 on 01/04/2010 at 09:05