Illiteracy and the driving test - pullgees

I just wondered if illiterate people are allowed to drive. A neighbour of mine is semi illterate and has just passed his theory although I'm not sure how as he can hardly read. Is he given a verbal test?

Then there is the question of reading road signs and hazards signs what happens there?

Illiteracy and the driving test - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

After five years and 271 attempts to pass the theoretical part of his driving test, it was 272nd time lucky for South Korean Seo Sang-moon.

Despite all his hard work Mr Seo is still not able to drive. Next he needs to pass the test's practical section.

"Driving seems a bit hard. But after trying 271 times to pass... what do I have to be afraid of?" he said.

The 69-year-old repairman said he was hampered by illiteracy, which meant he could not read a driving manual.

Mr Seo told the South Korean newspaper Chosun Ilbo: "Being a repairman travelling around North Gyeongsang and Gangwon provinces, the drivers license was a necessity, but I did not dare apply for the written examination because I am illiterate."

"Only after 2000, with the introduction of the oral exam, was I able to apply," he said.

Mr Seo took the test as often as he could, paying more than 1m won ($1,000) in application fees.

Each time he learned a little bit more, until finally, earlier this week, he passed.

Officials at the test centre were just as happy as Mr Seo.

"He has been coming here for more than five years and we regard him almost as being one of the family," an official from the exam office told Reuters.

Mr Seo said he was already preparing for his road test at a driving school in Yeongju City.

"I am confident," he told the Chosun Ilbo. "I'm already discussing with my wife which car we should buy."

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 29/03/2010 at 20:24

Illiteracy and the driving test - Waino

Everyone here is allowed to pass the driving test - the illiterate, the intolerant, the aggressive and the just plain stupid - otherwise, it's classed as discrimination. These days, everyone is allowed to pass everything - there is no failure.

Illiteracy and the driving test - Altea Ego

Then there is the question of reading road signs and hazards signs what happens there?

Well funnily enough the road signs are all pictures.

I drive all over Europe and in a lot of countries I cant read the lingo. Does that make me illiterate or unfit to drive? No it doesent.

Having just passed my test again, ( I took the licensed taxi test) I can tell you reading is NOT required. Nor should it be.

If you dont like your neigbour - Move.

Illiteracy and the driving test - retgwte

you can pass a UK test with zero knowledge of written or spoken English, simply sit the Welsh version in Wales, you will get a driving licence without any ability in English whatsoever

probably easier to pass in one of the many nations which issue licences which can be swapped for a UK licence, many of these countries have laughable standards, regardless of which you can swap their licence for a UK licence no prob, and you will never have demonstrated any English ability as you will have passed a test in a different language

worse I feel is that we have totally deaf drivers on the road legally, stupid in my opinion as they will not hear the fire engine siren in the distance and so much more

and folk with only one eye, ie no ability to judge distance at all, can get a UK licence, which again is crazy and should not be allowed

but yea stupidity does not disqualify anyone from driving, sadly

Illiteracy and the driving test - jc2

You can be registered as blind and still get a license.

Illiteracy and the driving test - Cliff Pope

and folk with only one eye, ie no ability to judge distance at all,

Judging distance is done by experience, and not by using two eyes. That's an old canard long ago discounted.

Illiteracy and the driving test - AlanGowdy

and folk with only one eye, ie no ability to judge distance at all,

Judging distance is done by experience, and not by using two eyes. That's an old canard long ago discounted.

Not so. Experience will help you make an estimate but it will be woefully inaccurate compared to someone with binocular vision.

an estimate but it will be woefully inaccurate compared to someone with binocular vision.

Binocular vision only helps at close range.

Animals requiring accurate close vision have forward pointing eyes, those requiring wide vision have eyes on the sides of their heads.

Motoring I would suggest requires medium'long range vision.

Illiteracy and the driving test - retgwte

"Judging distance is done by experience, and not by using two eyes" what complete and utter tosh

Illiteracy and the driving test - b308

worse I feel is that we have totally deaf drivers on the road legally, stupid in my opinion as they will not hear the fire engine siren in the distance and so much more

Why?

I see plenty of people driving with headphones from their mobiles in their ears or the stereo turned right up and I doubt that they would hear a fire engine either...

One thing in a deaf person's favour is that their vision is probably far more "honed" than a hearing persons' as they have to rely more on that sense, not having the ability to hear... so I suspect that they would probably see the fire engine long before us!

I think sometimes we make assumptions about people's abilities a little too quickly and without knowing the full facts?

Edited by b308 on 30/03/2010 at 11:43

Alter ego get off your high horse, I'm just curious that's all. I'm on good terms with this neighbour.

Not all signs are pictures such as motorway info on the gantries, diversion and police signs.

I'm still curious about the theory is that an oral exam?

How does an illiterate person fill in the application form, and read the test appointment letter?

Illiteracy and the driving test - jc2

His/Her mate/partner/significant other/what have you does.

Illiteracy and the driving test - CGNorwich
I'm still curious about the theory is that an oral exam?

This should cover it.

Facilities for those whose first language is not English

If your first language is not English, or you can not read or understand written English well, you can request a voiceover in one of 21 languages. A voiceover allows you to hear the theory test instructions and questions through headphones. The questions will automatically be read out to you, you can hear the answer options by touching the text on the screen. You can hear the questions as many times as you like, you simply need to touch the text of the question onscreen again.

Foreign language voiceovers are available in the following languages:

Albanian, Arabic, Bengali, Cantonese, Dari, English, Farsi, Gujarati, Hindi, Kashmiri, Kurdish, Mirpuri, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Pushto, Spanish, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu, Welsh

Translator assisted tests

If there is no voiceover provided in the language you require, you can request to have a translator assisted theory test. The call centre agent should be able to tell you the names and contact details of the relevant DSA approved translators. It is your responsibility to arrange a test date with the translator and to pay any fees involved.

Facilities for those with reading difficulties

If you have dyslexia or other reading difficulties you can ask for an English or Welsh voiceover. You can also request to have up to double time for the multiple choice part of the theory test. If you require more than the standard time of 40 minutes for the multiple choice part you will need to send in evidence of your reading difficulty to the theory test booking customer services.

Facilities for those with hearing difficulties

If you are deaf or have hearing difficulties you can ask to take the theory test in British sign language (BSL). The BSL interpretation will run alongside the standard test questions and answers. If you do not use BSL, an interpreter can be taken into the test centre, this facility needs to be arranged through the theory test customer services section. There is no extra fee for either facility.

Other special requirements

If you have a special need that is not met by the facilities above, you can contact the theory test customer services section who can discuss your requirements and the facilities available.

Illiteracy and the driving test - oilrag

I used to date a girl who had trouble with big words. She was absolutely brilliant to be with and used to drive down the M62 at 100mph - and effortlessly do tail end drifts of her rear wheel drive motor.

She had been taught by her Dad and never had a lesson. I reckon she would have had some racing drivers gasping - even on a fast bike years later, I would struggle to match her speed to the East coast beaches.

A `natural` driving talent she was and it would be a shame if someone like that were to be held back by `academic` elements in the test.

I also knew a colleague with two Degrees -- she passed her test and yet could not steer a straight line down the road. You used to be in the passenger seat and the car went down the road in a sort of `sawing` motion - as though it were a car of yesteryear with 6" of free play in the steering. But it was just incompetance.

Another colleague had an accident every few weeks and yet another put fluid in the wrong hole on her Ford.

It proved to me that intelligence - (as determined by academic qualifications) means little when it comes to the spatial and other skills required of a driver.

Edited by oilrag on 30/03/2010 at 13:24

CGNorwich That's brilliant thank you.

Illiteracy and the driving test - Altea Ego

Alter ego get off your high horse,

Me on a high horse? I qoute your question

> I just wondered if illiterate people are allowed to drive

Illiteracy and the driving test - concrete

Many years ago I worked for a company with several delivery drivers. One old boy was very illiterate, could not read or write but could recognise numbers. Luckily all our deliveries were repeat trips over many months and once he was shown the way he never ever forgot. Sometimes diagrams were given to him for new deliveries but he always made it. His vehicle was the best kept, cleanest and fewest repairs and he never had a notice for a motoring offence. He learned to drive in the Army during national service otherwise I suspect he may not have passed the civilian test because of his disability. However he proved over many years what an excellent driver he was. So just take each on their merits. Concrete

Illiteracy and the driving test - Sofa Spud

QUOTE:..."Everyone here is allowed to pass the driving test - the illiterate, the intolerant, the aggressive and the just plain stupid - otherwise, it's classed as discrimination. These days, everyone is allowed to pass everything - there is no failure.""

I thought the driving test pass rate was about the same as it's always been. Of the young people I know who've recently learned to drive, I can only think of one who passed first time.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 01/04/2010 at 16:02

Illiteracy and the driving test - Bromptonaut

What do we mean by illiterate? The OP actually refers to the neighbour as semi literate.

Very few people are illiterate to the point that they cannot recognise place names or simple instructions such as SLOW or When Red Light Shows Wait Here. Those who are hard of reading are much more likely to struggle with the unfamiliar, the complex and stuff like forms that are couched in terms even those of us educated to A level or degree standard need to read through twice!!.

OTOH there are a lot of Londoners in fancy cars headed for the Inns of Court etc who fail to understand the new signs about ceding priority to buses in the revised layout of the Theobalds Road/Southampton Row junction!!

Illiteracy and the driving test - Avant

That noble profession is trained to read what it wants to read.

Illiteracy and the driving test - SteveLee

I have no problem catching fast moving cricket balls despite only having vision in one eye, the brain soon compensates. I can judge distance perfectly well too. I suspect someone who actually has binocular vision would struggle if you covered one eye, that's because they are not used to monocular vision.

Illiteracy and the driving test - J Bonington Jagworth

I often feel that some sort of psychometric testing should be introduced, however unpopular. There are plenty of young men who are temperamentally unsuited to the task/responsibility for at least for a few years - I would probably have to include myself until my early 20's.