Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Carl2

Could someone tell me . Why do I have to press the clutch before the car will start? Is this to stop Toyota being sued if the car is started in gear and hits something? bit like the cut out on some motor cycle side stands. Or does it have a DMF that could be damaged if started in gear by accident?

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Manatee

1. It's good practice to put the clutch out anyway, as it reduces the drag on the starter

2. It's a sensible safety feature.

3. It's easy to make it that way when nearly everything on a modern car is microprocessor controlled.

...so a good bit of thinking by Toyota. I wouldn't be surprised if it were legislated for in future if it isn't already.

I doubt there are many automatic cars that can be started without pressing the brake as well as being in neutral - similar logic.

Now if you were to ask why Audis have fairy lights I might struggle to come up with a reason other than eurocrats justifying their existences...

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - idle_chatterer

Many other cars have this feature, BMWs for a start, have to admit that I wouldn't notice it as I've always started the car with the clutch depressed for all the reasons stated above.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - nb857

I can't understand why all cars don't have this feature. Everything I drive and have driven at work for years has to be either in neutral or the clutch pressed to start, some even have an operator presence switch on the seat.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Auristocrat

Dates back to when Audi had problems in the US with drivers starting cars in gear. Some manufacturers adopted the system across all the markets - my sister's 2005 Hyundai Getz has the same system. My 2006 Corolla could be started without the clutch being depressed - whereas my 2009 Auris can't. Good system - just needs getting used to.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Herr Sandwichmann

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Recommended practice for all cars I've owned according to their user manuals - decreases stress on starter motor and battery, apparently.

HS

Auristocrat gets my vote. I would have thought the pressure on the release bearing / cover would have imposed a greater load than the primary input shaft in neutral. Wouldn't it?

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - retgwte

having had left knee problems in the past id rather the car takes the wear than my knee!

any pressing of the clutch i can do without is welcome

so car setup like this would be most unwelcome

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - pyruse

Wouldn't it be simpler to get an automatic if you have left knee problems?

We switched over to autos years ago when my wife had knee problems, and now wonder why on earth we put up with having to change gear for years.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - retgwte

I do have an automatic

wife has a manual, and I wouldnt let her buy a manual like this auris as I drive it now and again

So once again Toyota loosing sales, I didnt buy an Auris after a Corolla as I didnt want an MMT, I wouldnt let a manual driver buy a manual with this setup

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Cliff Pope

I would have thought the pressure on the release bearing / cover would have imposed a greater load than the primary input shaft in neutral. Wouldn't it?

In my observation it depends on the car and on the temperature.

If it is very cold, the drag from the gearbox will be greater. If warm, especially re-starting a hot engine, the drag from the release bearing is greater.

Try letting the engine idle in neutral, then press the clutch. If the speed increases, the gearbox was imposing the drag. If it slows down it's the release bearing.

I don't think the answer is as simplistic as just saying "depressing the clutch reduces the load". And so what if there is a load? That's what the battery and starter motor are designed for.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - gordonbennet
I seem to recall Hyundai being one of the first manufacturers of cars for the UK market to have this feature, Lantra's and Accents, no doubt other models too back as far as mid 80's.
It was a simple micro switch i believe in those and the many hundreds of rental cars involved had the switches disconnected for obvious reasons.

It might seem a pita but where cars are used by different drivers a good safety precaution.

It might only be a simple switch on the clutch pedal of the Auris, if it concerns unduly have a poke nose and if it is then disconnect or permanently connect it depending on how it works.
Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Bagpuss

I'm certain the last time I drove an Audi A3 with a manual gearbox you had to press both brake and clutch pedals before being able to start the engine. I might be wrong on this as it's a while since I drove an A3 that didn't have the DSG gearbox - seems standard on the ones offered by rental companies.

Is in not the case that if the gearbox is in neutral it is only the primary input shaft that is rotating so a layshaft/output shaft / pinion immersed in cold oil would have no effect on drag (excluding high tech transmissions, DSG etc)?

Now I think about it I am pretty sure that in neutral the lay shaft is rotating so I can disagree with my own post.! Am I the first person on this new site to argue with myself ? fame at last

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - jc2

Now I think about it I am pretty sure that in neutral the lay shaft is rotating so I can disagree with my own post.! Am I the first person on this new site to argue with myself ? fame at last

The oil drag will cause all the gears to rotate in neutral.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Cliff Pope

The oil drag will cause all the gears to rotate in neutral.

They rotate because they are mechanically connected - it's called constant mesh.

Engaging "gears" means the synchro cones and dog clutches connect the already-rotating gears to the output shaft.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - Avant

My mum, who drove for over 60 years without having an accident, taught me when I was 17 to get into the habit of leaving the car in gear when parking, and starting with the clutch depressed.

We could argue

Edited by Avant on 27/03/2010 at 22:15

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - jc2

Goes back to the days of 140 grade gearbox oil-caused serious drag when cold.

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - hbosken

Having owned many Saabs, depressing the clutch before starting becomes a habit, especially if you reverse out of your driveway - saves a gear change!

And I used to drive VW camper vans and Simca 1100s - their gear change was such that you simply could never guess if it was in gear or not, the lever wandered so much. Trying to find neutral or first was like stirring a bowl of porridge with your legs and fingers crossed!

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - aurisman
can i add to this discussion , how can this feature b disabled as i fitted an alarm with an automatic start , and the press clutch does not allow it to work
Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - dieseldogg

Hi Sur, tractors had this safety feature 25 year ago.(or more?)

Plain & simple it makes sense on safety grounds regardless of reducing the load ( or otherwise ) on the starter.

However I am taking a wee bit of time to getting used to putting my foot on the brake before the selector will move from neutral or reverse in Der DSG.

The Steyr Puch Van will not start unless in neutral or reverse regardless of feets on the brake pedal

cheers

M

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - piggy
<< tractors had this safety feature 25 year ago.(or more?)>>
At least 50 years ago!! I well remember trying to start a Fergie TF20 when I was about 12 and being told to press the clutch down and also push in a brass knob with the other leg.
I agree,it`s an excellent safety feature and also puts less strain on the starter motor as it has not got the gearbox to turn.
It`s very easy to start a car in gear with very expensive results,eg garage wall ,parked vehicle etc.
Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - redpuma

This feature is also on my new Yaris (2006)

Toyota Auris - Why do I have to press the clutch to start? - dieselnut

" how can this feature b disabled "

Find the clutch switch which should be close to the clutch pedal.

If it only has 2 wires connected it will be a case of either disconnecting the plug & leaving it disconnected or disconnecting the plug & shorting together the 2 conexions.

Obviously try the first one & if not successfull short the wires together making sure everything is insulated.

If you have cruise control you wont be able to do the above as the clutch pedal position is monitored for correct operation of this system.