Merc C200 - ohsoslow

Having just returned from visiting rellies abroad. During our stay we were lent a Merc C200 Avangarde Kompressor (age unknown, mileage 140k) which was very kind of our hosts, only required to fill with petrol.

Unused to such large posh cars I will give you my feelings regarding this car.....should you wish to know!

Firstly I don't know were this motor fits in the Mercedes degrees of posh, posher or poshest scale of things, but I have noticed that other cars have C220 or other numbers on the boot and Elegance badges etc.

It did however have leather electric seats.

I was very nice to drive, being larger than any car I have driven before. The seats for me and Herself were very comfortable, and the engine was barely audible. To my disappointment though the road / tyre noise at certain speeds (90-120kph) was quite loud.

The parking brake was the work of the devil. I was given a quick demonstration before letting me loose and was told it gets easier with practice! For those not familiar with these cars, to apply the brake there is a foot pedal on the transmission tunnel (right hand drive car) which is depressed to engage. To disengage there is a handle to the right of the steering wheel.

My first serious battle with this arrangement came while trying to turn in a very restricted end of a cul de sac on a steep hill. It struck me as being a bit like doing that scratching your head and belly thingy at the same time. Not the most natural of excercises. I found it difficult to feel when the brake was on, just biting or off.

No doubt you experienced Merc drivers will say it is a wonderful system, but I would rather stick with the old pully-uppy lever thanks.

Another, much more serious fault was the positioning of the star bonnet badge. Due to the shape of the bonnet, my preferred driving position and the wipers in the stowed position the only view I got of the badge was a glance of the very top of the star. I remember many years ago riding in the old Hong Kong taxis and seeing the star guiding you through the traffic. Not any more!

The boot, by the way, was suitably large.

Had a wonderful time though.