Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - NormSpencer

Hi there

I put my car in to a garage for a service & an MoT. Whenever I've done this at other garages, they've always done the service first and then the MoT, with the result of an MoT pass.

This time, in a new garage, they did the MoT, which resulted in around a fail on four points, and an advisory notice issued. They then fixed the bits doing the MoT fail, and then carried out the service.

This means (a) I have the record of the failed bits on the MoT electronic record (which can't be good), and (b) they issued the advisory notice with the fail, but not on the retest (even though the retest pass shows an advisory notice was issued).

Am I getting myself worked up about nothing?

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - tyro

I take my Ford Ka to the same garage (a Ford dealership) for a service and MOT once a year, every year. I cannot be certain, but I'm think they used to do the service first, and then the MOT. The last time or two, they did the MOT first, and then the service.

In 2008, the car passed the MOT without an advisory. In 2009 it failed on something very minor, was put right, and then retested.

Personally, I'm not worried that there is a record of the failed bits on electronic record. But I would have thought that doing the service first (and checking up on areas which might cause an MOT fail during the course of the service) would be better practice.

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - silverback

But I would have thought that doing the service first (and checking up on areas which might cause an MOT fail during the course of the service) would be better practice.

I think it depends on the age and value of the car. No point paying for a service and then failing the MOT when a repair would be far more than the value of the (repaired + MOTd) car

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - quizman

Always take your car to a MOT place which does not do repairs. You know it makes sence.

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - DP

Always take your car to a MOT place which does not do repairs. You know it makes sence.

I agree in theory, but they are quite hard to find outside of the local authority test centres.

If one garage is doing both, I would expect the service to be done before the test, given that there is nothing a car can fail an MOT on (except maybe emissions) which wouldn't be picked up by any half thorough routine service / checklist.

The mechanic I use for both servicing and MOTs (a family friend) often picks up and corrects potential MOT fail items when servicing the cars, and I can't remember the last time I got a surprise come the test itself. That said, it's the "new" Golf's first test in my hands next month, so watch me retract that statement shortly ;-)

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - tyro

Thanks for that, DP. I must ask the Ford garage next time I take my car in why they don't do the service first.

"Always take your car to a MOT place which does not do repairs. You know it makes sense."

In theory, perhaps. But the dealer that services and MOTs my Ford does not seem to pick up much wrong in MOT tests, which indicates that they aren't looking for extra work. In addition, they give me a courtesy car for the day when they do the work, which is absolutely invaluable.

Edited by tyro on 24/03/2010 at 22:21

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - Tim Allcott

I have a strong suspicion that garages have to have a certain percentage of "Fails" logged, otherwise an automatic inspection is triggered? Thus putting the car thru an MOT pre service is more likely to generate a fail. They then service (as agreed) and re test the vehicle and pass it. Looks better for their stats. Can anyone/everyone access the online MOT history of a car? If not, the logged "fail" should not be a cause for a concern... If you want to pass on a full documented history of the car (all old MOT's) when you sell, do you need to hand over the "Fail" certificates as well, or only the "Pass" ones?

Honda Civic - MoT Failure before service carried out? - WellKnownSid

In 20 years I have never experienced an MoT (or iTV in Spain) failure.  My guess is that seeing a stack of MoT passes would fill me with confidence about a car, whereas a stack of MoT failures still attached would make me wary that the PO (or the garage!) has been less than dilligent.

My last UK car was a C class, and I found that they did the MoT 'whenever they could fit it in' - which 50% of the time meant before the service.

My car was still using the main dealer network at six years of age - and was probably considered an antique by the staff - I'll bet half of the 'technicians' had never seen a car that old before ;)