Ford Fiesta - Spongy brake pedal - Gregory II

a friend of mine has a Ford Fiesta. he recently had the discs exchanged as his car was juddering when coming to a halt.

Despite this, the car still judders when braking. what might be causing this?

also, he feels the brake pedal is spongy. what might be causing this: i suggested an air lock, but what other factors may cause this problem?

Finally, he says the brakes are not that sharp when coming to a halt at higher speeds. again, can this be improved in any way, and would worn calipers cause such a problem/ the spongy pedal contribute to this?

Ford Fiesta - Spongy brake pedal - Peter.N.

the 'spongy' effect is probably because the pads have not yet bedded into the discs, it can take some time, especially if you drive carefully, that would also account for there ineffciency. once he has done a few thousand miles it should settle down.

Ford Fiesta - Spongy brake pedal - Blimmer

Spongy peday may mean air in the hydraulic system. May be worth bleeding all four corners (order is Rear Left, Front Right, Rear Right, Front Left). this should also have the effect of sharpening them up, if not then you may have either a hydraulic leak or a faulty/leaking servo.

as for the judder i am unsure, usually means a warped or pitted disc but if they have been replaced then it must be something else.

blimmer

Ford Fiesta - Spongy brake pedal - piston power

try adjusting up rear shoes this will improve the brake pedal and bleed as said above in order.

brake judder: when discs removed did you clean the hub? if any dirt and the disc is sitting on it it will run untrue and when braking can cause this judder.