Audi A3 + S3 - Dealership servicing - Sump threads stripped. - Chris Mc

hello.

i put my car in for a service today at a dealership, they then called me to let me know that the sump plug fits loosely and that the threads are stripped and it'll be £250 plus to replace the sump!

i suggested tapping new threads but say they are unable to do that and offer the sump replacement only, so my car is dead at the dealership as a result of their poor technicians.

the service rep on the phone asked if anyone else had carried out work on the car (guess he's looking to pass the buck) but i replied only your dealership has ever carried out servicing. i'd expect the highly trained audi professionals to not screw up a simple oil change!

the car is 7 years old and this is the fifth time the sump plug has been out (i have all the service receipts) and the last time it was out was at the same dealership so i assume it was their previous service technician that crossthreaded the plug in and decided not to use his integrity and report it!

i am rather miffed that they expect me to pay for this (they offered to only charge for 1 hour of labour on top of a new sump) has anyone had similar experiences of a dealership screwing up and expecting the customer to pay?

i will be contesting the payment when i go to collect the car armed with my service receipts as evidence, do you think my case will hold as they guy seemed very stubborn over the phone but i'm sure i can be more stubborn!

any advice please people?

Audi A3 + S3 - Dealership servicing - Sump threads stripped. - tryitandsee

Armed with all your last invoices I would feel you have a good case for this Garage to answer.

Audi normally name their technician on the work schedule, being an oil change they usually give that job to the least qualified person in the workshop!

Reminds me of when my car last went in for repair at Audi, it came back out with broken seat. Just thought it was my fault as wife may have pushed back into the seat without pulling handle up!!!!

Weeks later I realised the 'named' car mechanic was at least 19 stone and must have had a jolly in my car on the 'test' drive. To late to prove unfortunately.

Audi A3 + S3 - Dealership servicing - Sump threads stripped. - Altea Ego

As long as you can prove only they have touched the sum plug in the cars lifetime, then you have a really good case to prove they stripped it through poor workmanship

or its manufacturer defect.