Fog Light lenses - madman
Why do manufacturers fit nice shatterproof plastic headlights these days, and then fit foglights below the bumper with glass lenses?
Both my 406 and Citroen C3 have now suffered from broken foglights.
Next time I pop over to France for a tank of cheap diesel I will go to the dealers and get some cheap spares.
Fog Light lenses - L'escargot
Why do manufacturers fit nice shatterproof plastic headlights these days, and
then fit foglights below the bumper with glass lenses?
Both my 406 and Citroen C3 have now suffered from broken
foglights......

.....and my Focus
Fog Light lenses - John S
......and my BMW - and I've never yet seen enough fog to actually use them!

Regards

John S
Fog Light lenses - Steve S
Some areas suffer from fog, especially on higher ground. But if basic lights are as good as they should be, fog lights are seldom any use and more often annoy others.

Unless it was real pea soup in flowing traffic I don't use them.
Fog Light lenses - Chad.R
If you seldomly or never* use your fog lights, would it not be sensible for those of you with glass lenses, to apply a film of transparent sticky-back plastic film over the lenses.

I know that it won't stop them breaking/damaging, but from a cosmetic point it won't be obvious that they are and at least it may stop water/dirt getting into the fitting.

* If you use them often then the heat generated may cause the film to peel of or worse "smoke".

Chad.R
Fog Light lenses - John S
Chad

It's a fair point, but I reckon I've had 3 foglamps broken over the last 6 years, and on every occasion the lens has been completely shattered and had a large hole punched in it. The film will hold it together, but in every case the damage has been so bad relacement is the only option. Lenses are not available, so it's a complete new lamp needed.

All I ever do is replace the damn things (£36 for the last one)and they are one bit of kit I'd gladly do without.

Regards

John S
Fog Light lenses - Chad.R
John,

What about something like the mesh type covers that some driving lamps come with? ....may be a better option. Not very nice to look at but then neither is £36 falling out of your wallet every so often :-)

Chad.R
Fog Light lenses - Dynamic Dave
What about something like the mesh type covers

Or even cutting up a clear plastic drinks bottle and fabricating a plastic cover for them?
Fog Light lenses - L'escargot
>> What about something like the mesh type covers
Or even cutting up a clear plastic drinks bottle and fabricating
a plastic cover for them?

Eugh !!
Fog Light lenses - Dynamic Dave
>> >> What about something like the mesh type covers
>>
>> Or even cutting up a clear plastic drinks bottle and
>> fabricating a plastic cover for them?
>>
Eugh !!

Why Eugh? No different to those plastic headlight protectors that can cost over £20.