Audi A4 TDi 130 - JonesMinor
Have the chance to buy a June '01 Audi A4 1.9 TDi 130 for around £11500? Would plan on keeping it about 2 years. It's more than I planned to spend on my next car but at that price I'm tempted.

Good buy?

--
Audi A4 TDi 130 - madf
Try driving it first. The noise/vibration / general engine roughness around town - to my ears at least - is quite unacceptable. Fine on motorways.
Audi A4 TDi 130 - Richard_H
To noisy and runs out of revs to quickly.
Audi A4 TDi 130 - Ian Cook
Agreed. It depends whether you want stonking performance or peace and quiet. The VW oil burner can't hold a candle to the Xantia HDi for relaxed motoring - but it can blow the doors off it!
;-)

Ian Cook
Audi A4 TDi 130 - DavidHM
Assuming that, at that price, the mileage is less than 60,000, the car itself is solid with a good service history, and it's a new shape car, bite the seller's arm off. Up to the shoulder. A 40k mile car should be about £13,000 trade. If it's an old shape, I'd be more cautious, you'd probably get more value out of a slightly older car.
Audi A4 TDi 130 - jacktupp
Have the chance to buy a June \'01 Audi A4 1.9
TDi 130 for around £11500? Would plan on keeping it about
2 years. It\'s more than I planned to spend on my
next car but at that price I\'m tempted.
Good buy?

I am looking for a car like this but the cost in anything from 14k upwards. Where did you get yours FOR 11.5K and what was the mileage?
Audi A4 TDi 130 - FergusTheDog
Please don't, it's a good car ruined by the engine
Audi A4 TDi 130 - googolplex
Fergus, you've said this many times, but that is your opinion and I don't think it is a valid comment at this stage. Perhaps you should appreciate that if someone is set on buying a car, they have weighed up whether or not they like it often by test driving and they have already decided that, for them, its a good car.

I've been in the Passat TDI and have to say I loved it so I'm sure the Audi must be the business. I disagree with your criticism of this engine. It may not be the quietest around, but that would never bother me. I quite like listening to the engine and actually find it off-putting when I can't hear it. As for reliability, then I've only heard good things (although I am sure others on this site have other opinions).

As for the original question, I'm sorry I have no experience of buying audis...maybe one day....Good luck!

splodgeface
Audi A4 TDi 130 - Gregory
From what I have heard they can be very expensive to run (especially replacemenet parts) and aren't 100% reliable; However, if this does not worry you, I think this car is a good buy.

See peoples comments by going to www.c********.org

Sorry, soemthing wrong with the website function. Website is

www.c********.org
The http doesn't work on this forum.

Just copy and past www.c********.org
The forum keeps sending this website with stars?????

the stars are c********
Audi A4 TDi 130 - andymc {P}
Gregory, it's because someone came onto the forum a week or two ago and posted profusely in many threads about the car survey site (wonder if it'll let that one through!), regardless of the thread topic. One of the moderators obviously got tired of the frequency with which this was happening and added that part of the URL to the swear filter, which I actually think is quite an amusing solution.
Audi A4 TDi 130 - FergusTheDog
Unlike some of the other particpiants here I have experience of buying Audis. they are expensive but you get what you pay for. Dealer service is good without the arrogance you get elsewhere.

I think the A4 is a damned good car but I hate Sport seats and I think the kit is a bit sparse. For a bit more money I would go for an A6, having owned and run both.

Fergus the dog:
Also, when people have problems with more expensive cars, they are usually more difficult to solve since fewer exist. This costs a lot of money in labour.

I agree that the AUDI'S are very smart cars, but they aren't for me. I like cars that just want servicing for 100k miles and have no need for replacement parts. I am sure some owners of Audi's have this experience, but then some don't!
Gregory's what? - FergusTheDog
You can go through the alphabet of cars and find people who have run one for zillions of miles with just servicing and the same model that was a total dog.

Example, my father ran two Nissan Primeras concurrently. One did 180k with only routine servicing. The other had shed loads spent on it and was sold on at 40k. Same car, same model, consecutive registrations. Another family member had a Toyota Camry that was off the road for nine weeks waiting for mechanical parts, OK he had a loan car (Avensis) but Toyotas never break down do they - another urban myth?

My wife ran a C-class that was a total dog and cost us a small fortune over 2 years and 20k miles. The most relaible car she has ever had is the current A6, before that it was a Volvo 480.

I have been delving into the fleet records this morning. I won't bore you with the gory bits but of 33 Audis over the last 5 years only one (an A3 90hp diesel) was a serious problem, 15 made it to 100k without having a single spare part fitted outside of routine servicing.

Mass production was supposed to make this sort of thing a thing of the past, it hasn't. Just because a car is expensive doesn't make it more relaible (alas). I can take you to speak to as many disaffected BMW users as say , Fiat users.

One of the worst bets at the moment has to be MG Rover (alas again), the spare parts situation is dire.

Basically it's still a lottery. For every user who claims his or her car is "the best" and never breask down you will find another who says it's a pile of wotsit.

There we are, I didn't slag off VW or their diesel engines once did I?
Audi A4 TDi 130 - Dynamic Dave
Gregory, it's because someone came onto the forum a week or
two ago and posted profusely in many threads about the car
survey site (wonder if it'll let that one through!),
regardless of the thread topic.

That someone you refer to is actually Gregory. He changed his name from danwave@lycos.co.uk recently.
One of the moderators obviously got tired of the frequency
with which this was happening

Er, both of us got tired of it actually.
and added that part of the URL to the swear filter, which I
actually think is quite an amusing solution.

So do we.
Audi A4 TDi 130 - Morris Ox
So, 'Gregory', who is it you work for?