ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected fuel pump failure - daddy

is there an issue with the fuel system?, my56 reg car has what seems like fuel pump failure with only 79,000 miles first signs were longer turnover on startup but not in mornings and only spasmodicly, then ihad some start failures which rac thought was sticky fuel pump in tank, later found there is no fuel pump in tank, now has no apparent fuel through system,so fuel pump? but my mechanic has a nagging doubt about replacing the whole thing at a replacement price of £700 pounds + can anybody advise my hopeful thanks in advance

Edited by Avant on 17/12/2014 at 00:13

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - Jamin8tor

I know it's an old post but did you ever get this sorted?

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - Peter.N.

If its a common rail engine the most likely cause, apart from a blocked filter, is the pressure regulator on the HP pump.

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - tt60

My 56 reg Galaxy 2.0 TDCi recently (just before Xmas 14) started stalling immediately upon starting and was then difficult to re-start. I also noticed it sounded more noisy than usual when being driven. Once it had warmed up it was easy to re-start after a short stop (pop in to a shop).

The garage could not find any problem with it although I knew something was not right as I have driven it for seven years. Then this weekend it initially started, then stalled straight away, then refused to start at all until the battery ran down.

The breakdown mechanic tried jump starting it this morning but it again died straight away and refused to re-start, although he thought the battery seemed ok and not the problem (apparently it nearly had enough charge to start it).

He tried 'easy start' and it would not start, then he checked and noted no fuel coming through the system when I turned the engine over so suspected a fuel pump problem.

it is at the garage now awaiting investigation but they said a fuel pump would probably cost £700 plus.

Do you think your previous ideas (blocked filter and pressure regulator on HP pump) are likely to be relevant? or is there anything else I should ask them to check out?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - hardway

Thing about "easy start" is it's a volatile gas,

in the past I have used it to start a motorcycle engine that had no carb's fitted let alone a fuel tank.

as they say round my way "it'll start a dead log!"

and it will start,

although very brieflly any diesel whether it has fuel or not,

OR ONE WITH A BUSTED HIGH PRESSURE PUMP!

When usung easy start the fuel system is irrelevant.

So if your breakdown guy could not start it with easy start,and presumably your garage tried too,

I know I would,

then I'd be looking at a compression/timing fault.

because using easy start is an independant fuel source.

I have used easy start to get a 2.0 hdi Peugeot to cough into brief life,

confirming compression/belt timing before going on to diagnose a totaly failed high pressure pump,4 scrap injectors that were full of metal from the failed pump and a considerable amount of the internals from the failed H/P pump in the fuel filter/fuel lines and the fuel tank.

None of it worked at all.

but it did cough into life on easy start.

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - tt60

Thank you for your very knowledgeable reply.

Thinking back the engine might well have started the first time with the easy start, then it died...but the battery was getting low by then...which goes along with what you said...I had to turn the engine over so many times I lost track.

Looks like I might be in for a big bill!!

ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - Scallyjosh
I know this is a while ago now but can you tell me what happened. My 2008 Ford Galaxy is sat outside my house after being towed home from work by the RAC. My mechanic and the RAC are telling me if engine fuel pump not to repair car if fuel pump in tank then repairable but expensive. Everything you wrote is exactly the run up to events that happened with my car and now won’t start at all. I spoke to Ford today and they asked if the RAC had checked the relays and fuses which has made me think.
ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected puel pump failure - Scallyjosh
I know this is a while ago now but can you tell me what happened. My 2008 Ford Galaxy is sat outside my house after being towed home from work by the RAC. My mechanic and the RAC are telling me if engine fuel pump not to repair car if fuel pump in tank then repairable but expensive. Everything you wrote is exactly the run up to events that happened with my car and now won’t start at all. I spoke to Ford today and they asked if the RAC had checked the relays and fuses which has made me think.
ford galaxy mk3 diesel - suspected fuel pump failure - Kelvin Longwe

ScallyJosh

Did you manage to get anywhere with the galaxy fuel issues in the end? Mine has just failed to start twice in two weeks. At first it was like a airlock. Now its a week at the a garage and no solution in sight. Any pointers?