Anti-freeze - Andy22
Just tried to scape the ice off my car windscreen.......hopeless then got my old halfords spray that your just spray on it "melts" the ice away, brilliant but its run out.

Me being tight was wondering if just some anti freeze (coolant) with water would have the same affect., and put that in the spray dispenser.

Don't want to mess about will boiling hot water from a kettle either before someone suggests it.
Anti-freeze - keithb
Definitely not. Antifreeze strips paintwork.
Anti-freeze - BrianW
How about 50/50 windscreen wash additive/water?
Anti-freeze - jc
There are two types of de-icing spray:-
1.Cheap-mixture of alcohol and water-initially clears screen but water in it can refreeze.
2.Expensive-pure alcohol-clears screen well but frequent use will damage screen sealing etc..
Anti-freeze - terryb
And don't use boiling water either! Tepid is the hottest it should be.

Terry
Anti-freeze - Andy22
are you sure, the spray from halfords was the same colour as antifreeze and smelt like it?
Anti-freeze - terryb
Positive. Antifreeze eats paintwork. A nasty trick of vandals in the 60s was to chuck antifreeze over paintwork.

Even the instructions on the tin/bottle/whatever say to avoid spilling on paintwork - for this very reason.

Bet Halfords' spray wasn't ethylene glycol based, whatever the smell.

Terry
Anti-freeze - Steve S
see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=81...9
Anti-freeze - Onetap
I've come across a mention of using alcohol/water solution as an anti-freeze in heat-transfer equipment, but I can't remember if it was ethanol or methanol. You could try meths, it will evaporate.
Anti-freeze - jc
Any alcohol will work;you just need a cheap one.
Anti-freeze - Armitage Shanks{P}
When I was in Germany we used vodka, at NAAFI prices it was way cheaper than screenwash or de-icing fluid!