Ford S-Max - Ford service stripped wheel studs - Grawat

I took my car in for a 3 year service and MOT to a Ford main dealer. They tell me that in the course of taking off one of the rear wheels to replace the brake pads they stripped one of the 5 wheel studs.

Apparently the wheel studs are integral to the hub and therefore they want to charge me for a new hub. With parts and labour that'll be £289.60 thank you very much.

Any comments or ideas much appreciated

Ford S-Max - Ford service stripped wheel studs - Cef 30

Normally if they would have no need to remove the tyres for an MOT or service depending only if the brakes need replacing which they should have informed you about.

If you have had the tyre replaced in the past you can always try to go back to the garage or tyre company who changed the wheel and try and get some money off them although it is highly unlikely that they will offer you any.

Ford are right the hub is essential to the hub

Ford S-Max - Ford service stripped wheel studs - kithmo

Unless the S-Max is something different to every other Ford, the studs should be removable, usually pressed in with a spline and can be hammered out once the hub assembly is removed. Tell them they stripped it, they should replace it, they'll soon find a way of removing the stud (cost circa £5) and pressing/hammering a new one in. If they don't want to play then take it to an independant garage with more skilled mechanics.

Even if what they say is true, that the stud is not removable, then a hub should be available from a motor factors for a lot less than the Ford price.

Ford S-Max - Ford service stripped wheel studs - Robin the Technician
i think you need to be firm with the garage and tell them that as they stripped the wheel stud (by their own admission) then they are responsible for the repair.
if they refuse then i strongly suggest you threaten them with trading standards. i dare say it was done by some monkey with an air wrench.

hope this helps

Robin the Technician