VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - mustangman

(nIce to see the forum running again)

I have the aforementioned Golf 1.4 tsi with the 7 sp dsg auto.

The change quality is mostly excellent, but there are a few problems.

1. When pulling away from rest, you have to be really precise to avoid a lurch. This means you must squeeze the throttle open a small amount.

2. The car will get into top (7th) gear at about 37 mph. At this speed the engine is doing about 1200 rpm, which feels far too little since your can hear the engine labouring.

3. At about this speed it needs a fair stab of throttle if you want to accelerate. Ie: throttle response is rather "wooley" Coupled with item 1. therefore you seem to be playing russian roulette as you never quite know how the car will react.

My VW dealer after copying data & sending it to VW declared that all was well, and they are all like that sir.

Anybody have any comments? (Mr. Tack. I think you have the same car?)

Edited by mustangman on 16/03/2010 at 14:22

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - idle_chatterer

Not an exact match as SWMBO has the 1.4TSi manual (6 speed), but the gear change indicator advises very similar change points e.g. 6th at around 40mph, way too low imho and causes the engine to labour.

Interesting. MInd at least with the manual you have the choice to change gear.

I do use manual quite a bit to avoid labouring a cold engine. I can also use sport mode, but then the car wont go into top gear until about 80 mph. It really needs a sort of "half sport" mode. I guess its all in the search for good mpg.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - oldgit
Interesting. MInd at least with the manual you have the choice to change gear.
I do use manual quite a bit to avoid labouring a cold engine. I can also use sport mode, but then the car wont go into top gear until about 80 mph. It really needs a sort of "half sport" mode. I guess its all in the search for good mpg.

Troubles with the DSG gearbox seem fairly well documented especially control in limited spaces and pulling away. Visit www.uk-mkivs.net and othe VW dedicated forums for better information.

Edited by rtj70 on 16/03/2010 at 20:52

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - shakey

I have the 7 speed DSG 1.4tsi Scirocco 160bhp, i have to say it is a joy to drive. Not experianced any problems so far, owned since December 2009. It does change up to 7th quick if you are going nice and easy but drops down quick enough when you need it. Never noticed the engine labouring at all at low speeds. I have at times been suprised it was in 7th doing low speeds but no problems.

Very relaxing drive, smooth changes at all speeds and a great car.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - daveyjp

Jerkiness on take off was the first sign my DSG box mechatronic unit was failing.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - oldgit

Jerkiness on take off was the first sign my DSG box mechatronic unit was failing.

My friend's jetta was damaged on both wings in his narrow garage because he could not manage to control limited manoeuvres with his DSG transmission. Mind you he did not possess great finesse with his right foot!!!

He too, however, has had much garage work including a new Mechatronic unti.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - gordonbennet

My friend's jetta was damaged on both wings in his narrow garage because he could not manage to control limited manoeuvres with his DSG transmission. Mind you he did not possess great finesse with his right foot!!!

Don't often carry the makes equipped with these boxes, but like every other automated manual they are a pain for close work, the more powerful the engine the worse they are, 2.0litre turbo petrol especially instant.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Talking Hoarse

Is manouvreing (creeping /parking etc) with VW's DSG autobox much different to any other autobox? Just saying as I find that any auto is clumsy when trying to move it just an inch or so - I suggest either holding the car back a little with the handbrake, or left foot braking (although care & practice needed for the latter). Don't know how you will fare using an electronic parking brake though.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - gordonbennet

TH, my own close work with these boxes is a bit more extreme than most users as i'm close loading a transporter, but if you ever get that nasty tight spot where your up against a kerb/pothole and want to move the car 6" at the most but need to power it you'll see exactly what i mean.

I haven't found a single automated manual whatever letters it's known by with any creep worth mentioning, in many cases and especially turbo cars i find you have to increase revs so much to get the clutch's to engage that you've come into the engines power band and the car wants to surge...trouble is you can't two foot the job cos as soon as you touch the brake pedal power is cut.

Without exception the old torque coverter auto will have enough creep to cope with most manouevres including my my unusual ones, and (so far) you can two foot the things by partially braking as you increase power.

Thinking about it these automated manual boxes could be fitted with a manouever button which would allow power and braking together...trouble is some road testers would be using this system to perform burn outs on airfields, and some drivers would copy them.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Tornadorot

I've got the 6-speed manual and I don't really see the point of the DSG (unless you're not used to manuals). The gearchange is light yet precise, and the ratios are pretty long, which gives relaxed cruising, but is nicely compensated by the low-end torque of the TSI engine. Interestingly, nearly every review I read of the current Ibiza FR/Cupra (which is DSG-only) said that what it really needed was a manual option.

Edited by Typ 8L on 18/03/2010 at 14:10

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - colinh

"... I don't really see the point of the DSG..."

I think it was when I'd gone past 250+ gear-changes per journey on a regular commute into central London.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - soul08

hi mustangman, nice to meet you and thanks for your reply to my post. We both have the same car and i don't seem to have any issues with the DSG gearbox. although i've not had my car for very long, it definitely does not lurch forward or backwards from rest. i used to have a Mark V Golf tSi DSG and this new car is exactly the same.

one thing i have noticed however, is that the gears do change quite quickly. if i'm doing like 30 - 40mph, i think the DSG will go into gear 6, but it still runs smoothly and is punchy when you press the thottle.

Will check again later when i go out !

hope this helps :)

hmm. its difficult to describe my problem in words, but i'll try.

in order to pull away from rest smoothly, i find that i must apply a small throttle opening, in a "squeezing" motion rather than just stabbing it. if i do this its fine, but i find doing it many times in dense traffic makes my ankle ache. if i forget sometimes, & prod the throttle, the car will lurch enough that passengers complain.

the problem is that the two behaviours are not far apart, so you sometimes get one or the other.

as an engineer i think that the programming of the clutch action has been optomised such that there is little clutch slip, which will give a decent life to the friction members.

btW, you should get around 40 mpg for local suburban driving, with 50 possible for motorway trips travelling at no more than 70.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - outlier

hmm. its difficult to describe my problem in words, but i'll try.

in order to pull away from rest smoothly, i find that i must apply a small throttle opening, in a "squeezing" motion rather than just stabbing it. if i do this its fine, but i find doing it many times in dense traffic makes my ankle ache. if i forget sometimes, & prod the throttle, the car will lurch enough that passengers complain.

I've never experienced anything like that, except maybe many years ago when I starting learning to drive, erm, a manual car...

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Wigsy

Hi I'm a new forum member, looking for people with similar experiences of the 1.4 TSI 160 with the DSG gearbox. I have had mine from new since last July and have experienced the same problems as mustangman.

The throttle you have to ease onto to prevent a sudden lurch of power. The alternative is waiting an age for anything to happen. When wanting to accelerate, the engine shudders and vibrates due to the low revs, and takes much persuasion to kick down.

Consequently I use it in manual mode for much of the time. Sport mode keeps it too low geared for too long in the rev range. There seems to be no compromise.

I also have some pretty awful clanks(audible in the street) from the gearbox on changing up or down, and some strange noises on overun from the gearbox, when slowing in 2 or 3. Local VW dealer says VW UK has put it down to a "characteristic of the car", although the mechanic had to admit it didnt sound right!

Would welcome comments from any mk vi DSG owners with similar problems...better to tackle dealers with other evidence.

After making several requests I am now off to compare it with another identical model at the dealers, and will let you know what happens.

Hi, Wigsy wellcome,

Just for your interest I pursued my problem through VW Milton Keynes, with the view that I believe, software changes would improve things no end.

I hit some what of a stone wall, their final comment was the dear old "vehicle characteristic" thing.

Perhaps like you, you have to carefull when entering a island at low speed. A small throttle opening & nothing happens, a large one and the trans will change down several gears with a distinct lurch. The trouble is that you don't know which reaction you will get!

Note that the 6 speed dsg has similar problems, but not as marked, I think because some clutch slip is allowed. The 7 speed clutch I think, is somewhat in or out.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - TSI90

Hi I'm a new forum member, looking for people with similar experiences of the 1.4 TSI 160 with the DSG gearbox. I have had mine from new since last July and have experienced the same problems as mustangman.

The throttle you have to ease onto to prevent a sudden lurch of power. The alternative is waiting an age for anything to happen. When wanting to accelerate, the engine shudders and vibrates due to the low revs, and takes much persuasion to kick down.

Consequently I use it in manual mode for much of the time. Sport mode keeps it too low geared for too long in the rev range. There seems to be no compromise.

I also have some pretty awful clanks(audible in the street) from the gearbox on changing up or down, and some strange noises on overun from the gearbox, when slowing in 2 or 3. Local VW dealer says VW UK has put it down to a "characteristic of the car", although the mechanic had to admit it didnt sound right!

Would welcome comments from any mk vi DSG owners with similar problems...better to tackle dealers with other evidence.

After making several requests I am now off to compare it with another identical model at the dealers, and will let you know what happens.

Hi all, I'm new here too from Australia..... bought the Golf VI TSI90 2 years ago - great great car 99% but yes, like most of you, have noticed the "car characteristic" issue re moving off from stnad still.... however I have found what I find is a great solution.... you might like to try it perhaps! :) I'm no expert on gearboxes or DSG so go easy on me if I have this a tad wrong... but my gut instincts tell me the "problem" is... in D mode, 1st gear is too short... when people have stated above and tried S mode.... the initial lurch etc is not there... in S mode, 1st gear stretches out longer obviously but you get the issue of then staying in too low a gear for normal general driving - I liked the suggestion of one in between! So I have experimented and find this works well, when starting from still, flick the DSG into Manual mode... accelerate and flick back to D just literally 1 sec or less later.... I find the ratios of 2, 3 etc after that ok for general D mode... but it extends 1st gear for you doing this and prevents the lurch altogether. It might seem bothersome to do this but I find it fine... especially if at an intersection where you really want get going smoothly from the word go... anyway, just my humble penny's worth... I have heard VW have started to address this problem... perhaps they have extended 1st gear a tad in D mode.... anyway, worth a go perhaps - cheers :)

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Avant

Welcome - glad it works for you but if mine wouldn't move off smoothly from rest I'd complain until it got sorted, especially if the car was new.

Mine (in an Octavia) is the 6-speed 'wet clutch' version: the 7-speed DSG used in the Golf has a new type of 'dry' clutch (don't ask me to explain the difference!) so may be having some teething problems.

I have no trouble with mine unless I step on the gas too violently from rest (and then it's wheelspin rather than a jerky start): generally I find that by the time I've transferred my foot from brake to accelerator, the car has crept forward a tiny bit which aids a smooth getaway.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - phil1977

I have the same car, with the 7speed dsg, after around 7k it started to judder after about 15 mins of driving, showed no symptoms on start-up. A good test i found once the car is warmed up to see if there is clutch problem is to accelerate from around 5mph in d mode when it’s in second gear, this came in handy when showing a vw technician. It was very noticable when pulling away from junctions and roundabouts. The dealer immediately identified the problem and replaced the clutch pack under warranty It was a complete nightmare as the dealer had no experience of changing the clutches and got into difficulties with it, total time 4 days. I have now covered 84 miles since repair and it’s once again faultless. Looking around the internet forums it seems a very common fault. My car is on a lease and there is no chance would I purchase a car with this gearbox without a lengthy warranty as it would be a serious money pit. This technology has not been perfected so beware, great car and gearbox when working.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - makeman

Hi Mustangman

My wife has a 1.4tsi with 7 speed DSG and guess what? It too has the "characteristic" and very unrefined judder on acceleration and particularly when negotiating roundabouts. There is, as you can see from the threads and media coverage, substantial evidence that there are known problems with this box. VW however refuse to acknowledge this unless you push and push and push.......

I've raised this issue with the media but they don't seem interested in replying to individual complaints. I find this odd given they themselves quite often happily quote DSG problems as things to watch out for when buying second hand VW Group cars fitted with DSG (and the 7 speed in particular). VW technicians will also admit privately to there being issues, particularly with combinations of DSG and some VW Group engines.

My advice is to get the box checked out by the dealer you bought the car from and if they do not offer to replace it under warranty then go to another franchised dealer and get them to check it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

It's what we did, and they did (eventually)!

Makeman

Just to update you. I have recently had the clutches replaced since I was getting bad clutch judder when pulling away. It took a little patience to get the local dealer to do it.
So the trans is back to as new condition. As I mentioned elsewhere on Hj this means that below about 20 mph this means pause, jerk & go. The only thing you can do is to squeeze the thottle rather than prodding it.

I'd never have another!
VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Ahmed Said

Dear All,

I am from Egypt. I am going to buy new Golf-6 7-speed DSG 1600cc 102 hp model year 2012 next month Dec-2011 or Jan-2012 from VW Egypt. Please let me know if anybody knows any issues in 7-speed DSG for Golf-6 1600cc 102 hp model year 2010 or 2011 or 2012.

Are these issues for 7-speed DSG was found in Golf-6 1600cc 102hp model year 2010 and 2011?

Does VW solve this DSG issues in next Golf-6 1600cc 102hp for year 2012 and 2013?

Are 7-speed DSG issues common for every VW cars like new Golf-6 1600cc 102 hp 2011/2012, new Jetta 1400cc TSI 2011/2012? Or it is just individual issue and it can not be founded in every VW new golf-6 1600cc 102hp and New Jetta 1400cc TSI.

Regards

Ahmed Said

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Jetta 2010

Dear Ahmed,

I have a 2010 Jetta bought from Egypt from the local approved dealer. I can see this car is very good, DSG is great when you compare it to the older automatic gearbox in the Jetta.

Only problem I have is the quality of service this dealer is providing. I had a mechatronic problem 2 months ago (car is parked there since then as it is not moving), didn't get it back although it was under warranty, claiming that the spare parts didn't come from Germany and it is custom made for each car. Every week they tell me next week and so on and comes out with an invented story.

I heard that the new part is modified, should not fail again, and the new shape 2012 comes with a modified version of DSG, but frankly after what I've seen form these people I don't trust their words.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - madf

VW/Audi are known for poor after sales service is design is faulty plus rushing new clever products into production and then not repairing them.

See ignition coils, Passat injectors etc.

Me? Would not touch them...

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Zhang

Dear all,

I'm from China.In 2010/12,I bought a VW Golf 1.4tsi with 7 speed DSG,which was made in Dalian China.In the following 9 months,the car worked well.And It was a pleasure for me to drive the car.

But after 13000 km,the dsg "characteristic" problems came to me.The problems include,unnormal noise when driving in poor roads and judder at low speed after about 15 minutes driving.

Then I found that almost every VW car with 7 speed DSG has the same problems.And the consumer all over China discuss the problems on forums.We complain to the quality watchdog of our country.We even plan to hire lawyer to prosecut VW China.

Last week,VW China announced to extend the dsg warranties to 10 years or 160000km.But they didn't explain the new policy clearly.And the VW approved dealer informed us that the DSG cars should be maitained by VW approved dealers,which have a high price.

I come here to discuss DSG problems with you all.

Sorry for my poor English.

Latest update on my wife's car!

Now back with the dealer who replaced the DSG under
VWs warranty last year. The new DSG has now developed
the same "judder" as the original box when negotiating right
hand turns!

This is very unsatisfactory considering I was advised last
time that the cost of parts alone is £5k!!

Dealer claims there is no issue this time around. Clearly there is
and I shall update the blog when I have more feedback.
VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - spannerman
makeman , I just wondered how you got ?

Were you advised to carry on driving the car with the judder ?

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 05/04/2012 at 23:26

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - dieseldogg

With the recent car accident death in Australia, as I understand, being "blamed" on DSG malfunction by a coroner.

I sense "a perfect storm" is about to overwhelm the VW Group.

About time too.

And that comment from a VW/ German engineering fan.

cheer

marcus

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - idle_chatterer

Except, as I understand it - the Golf being 'blamed' (the coroner has yet to report their conclusions) was a manual not a DSG, only one media outfit are making much of this story (currently) and appear (to me) to conflate the many (but varied) issues VW owners have encountered as-if they were the same thing. Other media outets are specifically stating that they will reserve judgement.

I admit to a vested interest with an Australian Golf VI 1.4TSi (160PS/118Kw) Twin-Charger DSG which has (so far) been peerless and is very nice both to drive and easy to maneuver imho.

I notice I responded to this thread some years ago when still in the UK and with a 1.4TSi 122PS manual which was also peerless... Since SWMBO does most of the driving these days as I commute by train we replaced like for like, hence our second Golf VI, would have waited for a VII but needed a car quickly upon arrival down under.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 11/06/2013 at 06:58

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Cyd

I've just been reading about the newly launched Octavia vRS. I expect this will be my next car, probably in about 5 or 6 years (when I would expect to buy a 3 yr old example).

Thank goodness i read that it's available with a 6 speed manual.

VW Golf 1.4tsi - VW DSG Mostly good, but a few problems - Avant

I hope and trust that the new vRS will retain the 6-speed DSG which doesn't have the jerkiness and unreliability of the 7-speed.

A big advantage of DSG over a conventional torque-converter automatic is that there's no penalty in terms of performance or economy. I've just done a quick trip to Aldeburgh and back (from Berkshire) and the trip computer was showing 41 mpg (my vRS is a petrol). Thinking this a bit optimistic, I filled up when near home: actual consumption 42 mpg. That's better than quite a few diesels (although not the diesel Octavia vRS which I had before).

Edited by Avant on 08/06/2013 at 19:04