Badge snob, define a badge snob. - barney100
When do you start being a badge snob? Why should people be sneered at for the car they like?
Someones choice of car is up to them.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Old Navy
Didn't some American say "If you ever see me in a Nissan it will be a hearse".

Edited by Old Navy on 14/02/2010 at 19:31

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Rattle
The is different levels of it. A badge snob is somebody who thinks a 5 year old Focus is better than a brand new car just because of its badge e.g if it was a FIAT or Kia.

Then you have badge snobs who will only drive BMWs or Audis etc.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Pugugly
Very little of this silly nonsense in the biking world !
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - CraigP
I love being a BMW badge snob it's great poking fun at friends (or even strangers!) cherished FWD "cool" cars, it's the return fire i don't like ;-P

Then you have badge snobs who will only drive BMWs or Audis etc.

>>
An Audi is only a badge engineered Skoda!

I must be a snob, I always leave my Focus bonnet open because the washer bottle cap has a Volvo badge on it. :)

Edited by Old Navy on 14/02/2010 at 20:13

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - bell boy
man and woman turn up to look at a particular car for their dorlings,husband thinks its a good car and a sensible price which is why he turned up
wife has arms folded and points at minuscule imperfections in an otherwise peach of a car
did i mention the car wasnt a vw
guess who the snob is
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Pugugly
Yep - another source of snobbery - a former colleague suffered badly from this and ended up driving Saabs and Volvos against his will - his latest Volvo was rear ended and his SWMBVMO refused the Mondeo hire car and insisted on him paying extra for a BMW...:-)
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - cheddar
I must be a snob I always leave my Focus bonnet open because the washer
bottle cap has a Volvo badge on it. :) >>

Really? My Focus has a Volvo engine though I have not noticed a Volvo badge anywhere, I will look closely at the washer cap though I reckon I would have noticed because it gets a lot of attention, the headlight washers seem to cause it to use a lot of fluid.

Well I was accused on here of being a snob for showing interest in an 8 year old £6k Audi and rejecting the proposed alternative, a Hyundai.

Edited by cheddar on 14/02/2010 at 21:16

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - CraigP
Well I was *accused* on here of being a snob

Awww c'mon cheddar did you say that with a straight face :-P you would have been found guilty if anything... (!)

Ford's are rotten... :-D
Two measures of guilt or innocence:

1/ Is showing an interest enough to be guilty or is a purchase required?

2/ Does an 8 year old Audi make you a badge snob under any circumstances?

Edited by cheddar on 14/02/2010 at 21:26

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - jbif
Well I was accused on here of being a snob ... >>

;-)
It must have hurt you something bad then.

You cannot be accused of something when you have already admitted to it long before being accused of it! (Remember you said "Wife wants a TT for the looks and image not the practicality or carrying capacity .." before anyone mentioned a Hyundai.)

:-)

Edited by jbif on 14/02/2010 at 21:51

Really? >>

Yup, a small blue plastic disc, must be worth all of 5p. :)
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - stunorthants26
A badge snob is simply someone who would drive an inferior car in order to own a car with their chosen badge. Its giving up objectivity for the sake of ones own self-image.

The funniest thing is that the cars that badge snobs often gravitate to cars that tend to have images that are not entirely positive.

Actually, it comes down to a simple display of wealth as badge snobs buy cars which are expensive for what they are, which is rather crude, even today.

Im sure a counsellor could provide help for such inadequate people.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Armstrong Sid
Isn't a badge snob someone who thinks they know everything about cars, but probably knows absolutely nothing. Like those people who still have an attitude of "Oh, I can't have that, it's s Skoda".
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - primeradriver
I'm almost an inverted badge snob.

I say "almost", because I too would love to have an Alfa or a BMW, because they're good cars that drive well.

The snobs I snigger at are the ones who look down their noses at a perfectly good mainstream box like a Hyundai or Kia (or even Nissan or Mitsubishi) and then buy a Fiat or Peugeot, satisfying themselves of their superiority on the grounds of some fairytale "character" their (also perfectly good) mainstream box apparently has.

I think it's because I care not what others think of my possessions -- all that matters is what I think, others can go fiddle if they don't like it.

Edited by primeradriver on 15/02/2010 at 01:21

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - grumpyscot
And the next step from being a badge snob is to be a snob with a personalised number plate - one with an illegal font, illegal spacing

BuUt why can't you have a Skoda snob - I like these people who buy them because they're better built and better value than a VW or Audi. I like when they turn up their nose at an Audi as they leave them in their Fabia diesel VRS' wake!
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Sofa Spud
The 1960's was the heyday of badge engineering in Britain. Nowadays it has been replaced by platform sharing - e.g. VW / Seat / Skoda or Peugeot / Citroen where the same mechanicals are clothed in different bodywork.

By badge engineering, I mean identical cars that were marketed as different brands, with only superfical differences like badges, grilles and trim. We do still see examples - like the Toyota Aygo / Peugeot 107 / Citroen C1 or the VW Sharan / Seat Alhambra / previous Ford Galaxy.

This brings me in a roundabout way to badge snobbery. Surely the worst examples of badge snobbery were where people would favour one version of a badge-engineered car over another, like "I'm an Singer man myself, I'd never drive a Hillman"!

The most badge-engineered car of all was the Morris 1100 / 1300, which was also sold as Austin, MG, Riley, Vanden Plas and Wolseley. Even Rolls-Royces and Bentleys were identical apart from their grilles and badges in the 1960s. Oh, and Bentleys had speedometers that read up to 140 mph instead of 120 mph, although the cars weren't any faster! Very different story now, though, when they're not even owned by the same parent company.

Also, I find Land Rover owners tend to be very scathing about any other brand of 4x4

Edited by Sofa Spud on 15/02/2010 at 10:35

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - diddy1234
A badge snob would definitely NOT be a Kia or Hyundai owner.

At least life is so much cheaper if your not a badge snob.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - rogue-trooper
A badge snob would definitely NOT be a Kia or Hyundai owner.
At least life is so much cheaper if your not a badge snob.

Excellent.

I am about to chop the wife's Mitsubishi in for a Hyundai while I carry on manfully with my 10yo BMW. Then if we get on well with the Hyundai, I might take it when I chop my car in and get SWMBO something else. Then again, I might go for a Subaru if they every brought out a more powerful diesel.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - idle_chatterer
Is it not merely down to the purchaser's perception of value, a 'badge snob' merely perceives value in the brand ?

I like Fords but would freely admit to changing my last one for an Audi due to 'badge snobbery'. The replacement Audi was inferior in many ways but the cost of ownership was about the same (with much better residuals).

SWMBO likes VWs Golfs, anything else she considers a compromise, not sure whether this is snobbery or just brand loyalty.

My current BMW is (IMHO of course) a quantifiably better car than the top of the range Ford, VW or Honda I could have had for the money, is this badge snobbery or a rational decision based on my perception of value ?

But then purchasing decisions can be based on previous experiences, nothing will ever convince me to buy anything from Vauxhall ever again, this 'emotion' is much deeper than mere badge snobbery....

Badge snob, define a badge snob. - mrmender
When i first bought my Vauxhall Monaro (The finest RHD V8 Muscle car IMO) just over 12 months ago. People who knew no better would stop and say wow what's the car mr.......
Then look at the badge and say awww Its a Vauxhall. Then walk away disinterested. I have with the help of ebay changed the badges to Holden. That usualy totaly confuses the average person
I am in the process of going from Ford to Kia, What does that make me? (Don't say stupid). :)
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - diddy1234
not stupid Old Navy, clever (now I will get flamed).
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Rattle
Uncle Albert?

I think there is another kind of badge snobery too, my uncle used to always swear by Skodas after going from BMW 70 series type company cars. I think it is more loyalty though but his latest one has caused a very problems due to its mega milleage.

I am not a badge snob but the badge does have an influence, I get sucked into buying into a brand even if that badge may be FIAT or Ferrari.

I am still thinking hard about buying a Hyundai and if I do I already have some BMW badges waiting to go it - joke.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - colinh
Anybody who buys a car more expensive than my current car
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - mike hannon
Anybody who drives a Ford with a 'Ghia' badge on it.
Or, come to that, anybody who drives a Vauxhall Astra or Peugeot or whatever repmobile with a 'Bertone' or 'Pininfarina' badge on it.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - movilogo
Badge snobbery has a historical background.

20-30 years ago, few brands used to produce good, reliable cars. This includes Mercedes, BMW, Porsche etc. Some other grands (eg. Korean, some Japs etc.) were not able to produce that reliable cars at that time.

Some brands were also quite expensive compared to cheaper and less reliable brands.

In present time, the back bencher manufacturers have made giant leap in quality and reliability where as snob brands slipped from their so called high value offerings.

Nowadays, brand snobbery hardly makes sense when Ford engine is fitted in Jaguars etc.

Companies invest huge money in marketing which tries to build up a "perception" value among consumers and they place their cars accordingly in market.

It is all about what you believe!

PS: When I sat in 1980s Rolls Royce and Bentleys in museums, I was shocked to discover that even a supermini in today's market offers more comfortable and adjustable seats!
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - Happy Blue!
SWMBO refused to have a Skoda or to let me have one. I'd be delighted with a Superb - but no.
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - stunorthants26
>>SWMBO refused to have a Skoda or to let me have one. I'd be delighted with a Superb - but no.<<

Maybe you should order a pair of trousers to wear at home, then you can order the Skoda ;-)
Badge snob, define a badge snob. - maz64

Oi! I'll assume that was said with tongue in cheek. When we bought our 7 year old (at the time) Focus estate Ghia, I'll admit the 6 CD changer, electric seats and one or 2 other goodies did influence our decision, but believe me the badge didn't.

In fact it would have been nice to have a choice of badges - it was that or a low spec 1.6 Astra in our price and distance range.

I have blown that theory, mike. I have driven a Focus Ghia for the last five years, (because it was the only trim with cruise control at the time), and I have just bought a Kia, (with cruise control). :)

Edited by Old Navy on 15/02/2010 at 14:04

When my daughters were young teenagers they were most reluctant to be seen in my wifes Skoda. Once they had passed their driving tests, driving it was never a problem!

Badge snobbery starts young, but dissolves when the bus is the option.