07 2.0 Cold start difficult & huge ploom of smoke - mfarrow
Good Evening

2.0 litre petrol Ford Focus (Duratec)

My girlfriend's Dad has a non-problem (i.e. he doesn't care to admit it exists) with his Focus.

It always takes a bit of cranking over but always catches (just a bit longer than other petrols I'm used to). Anyway, last Sunday it wouldn't start at all. Eventually got it started after an hour of letting it sit. As it did so a large amount of white/cream smoke came out of the exhaust when he revved it. That eventually subsided.

What could be the problem? The engine management light isn't illuminated. There is no starting problem when warm.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 12/02/2010 at 00:14

07 2.0 Cold start difficult & huge ploom of smoke - jc2
Tell him to keep his foot off the accelerator when starting it;this calibration should fire up after two revolutions of the engine.
Thanks, he doesn't do that.

It always takes more than 4 compressions to start when cold.
07 2.0 Cold start difficult & huge ploom of smoke - piston power
White cream smoke condensation does he do short journeys?

I expect lots of codensation in exhaust it's more noticable when very cold if so take it for a good blast for 30 mins at least get it hot it should evaporate.

When cranking with key in position 3 after 2-3 turns it should start let key back to 2 it may start ok if you understand this? ( see lots of folk cranking and car has started).

Hi bigtee.

No, he drives 20 miles to work every day on a mix of dual carriageways and A-roads.

I understand when an engine has started, and when it does it launches all 4 cylinders at once with, perhaps, a little hesitation.

Could it be leaking injectors? Do they leak?
07 2.0 Cold start difficult & huge ploom of smoke - piston power
I know on an old corsa the cold start valve was faulty and was a pig to start not sure if your has one of these.

This car is petrol?
Confirmed, it is a petrol