Mondeo Diesel Cold Start - Peter D
Starting Problem - Ford Mondeo Ghia X Hatch 1996 (old body) 1.8TD

Symptoms

a) Cold starts - Engine turns over, starts but runs roughly at ~400 rpm as if only 2 cylinders are firing for a few seconds, then picks up and runs normally. However sometimes the engine cold starts perfectly ie fires on the first turn and runs normally immediately.

b) After running for about 30 - 60 secs engine cuts out. Attempted restart - engine kicks once or twice then refuses to fire at all. (After a bit of fiddlng with various things by the garage, the car did start, but nothing was done to fix the problem)

c) Warm starts - no problem.

The battery is new and ok. Factory fitted alarm / immobiliser is working normally. There are no warning indicators on the dashboard. Plug heater light works normally ie switches off after a few seconds - double heating causes the light to switch off noticeably quicker on the second iteration.

Any help here appreciated Peter
Hi,

Where is the cold start glow plug relay located so I can test it ??

Peter
Mondeo Diesel Cold Start - Cyrill666 {P}
Hi,

I had a similar problem with my 1999 Vectra, it turned out to be air in the fuel line. The system sucking air in through a loose connection whilst not in use.

Warm start was fine - not enough air in the system to cause a problem.

Cold start - fired and ran for 5 seconds or so, then cut out - took a good few minutes of hammering the starter to force enough fuel back into the system.

Here's a link to the thread:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=73...4

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Yes but where is the Power control relay for the Glow Plugs on the Mondeo. Peter
Buy a Haynes Workshop Manual!
Mondeo Diesel Cold Start - Dave_TD
In the fusebox near the battery, isn't it? IIRC
Mondeo Diesel Cold Start - Dynamic Dave
Buy a Haynes Workshop Manual!

I don't know why so many people rave about how good Haynes Manuals are.
Ok, they're alright for some basic information, but IMHO, the ones being produced now are littered with errors. I've been using H.M's since I owned my second car - a Mk1 Astra. The info was accurate, but the last time I used one was for my Mk3 Cavalier and it was full of mistakes. For instance, tensioning the cam belt; the manual said to turn the tensioner clockwise to tighten the belt. WRONG, you have to turn it anti-clockwise. There were other gaffs, handbrake adjustment, fuel filter location, to name but a few.
I've also experienced errors in H.M's for motorbikes as well.
The few times that I now tinker with the car's oily bits I only use the manual as a guide, and the rest is down to knowledge and common sense.
I've used Haynes Manuals for my last 4 cars and to be honest I only really used the first one to any great degree (1992 Vauxhall Nova) - stripping the engine down a few times (oh happy days). These days I'm fortunate enough to have a friend who is a top notch mechanic, I tend to follow his lead.

But in this case, I'm sure even Haynes would get the location of the "Power control relay for the Glow Plugs" right! Mind you, it's probably in the handbook too.

Cheers,
Cyrill666
Do I assume rightly that the large relay under the battery tray of the Modeo Diesel is the Glow Plug Relay. ??? Thanks Peter