06 1.8 Intermittent starting problems - redviper
Hi

1.8 Petrol 29K Miles
Used around 10 miles per day Town journey

I have a bit of a issue with my Vectra C

Sometimes when you start the car 1st time on a morning, it will struggle to get above 800 RPM and is lumpy, sometimes the car will realise this and correct itself other times it wont and will just sit at around 600 revs pulsing up and down slightly.
A dab on the throttle and all is well it ticks over normally (> 900 RPM) the car will be fine to use for the rest of the day ? it has been fully serviced and is great in every other respect

I have posted this on another forum however I?m calling on the expertise of the BR

Many Thanks

Edited by redviper on 09/02/2010 at 09:08

06 1.8 Intermittent starting problems - topbloke
i would start with cleaning out the throttle body, you can remove it to clean or do in situ, old toothbrush and some carb cleaner or petrol (usuall safety rules apply) then clean out the hole in the throttle body that is blocked it will be the one from the rockercover to the body (paper clip straightened out is good) then if you have access to a decent code reader you will need to reset the learned values on the throttle body (dont matter if you cant it will relearn itself but over a longer period of time) i you remove to clean be carefull of the gasket they are a little fragile,Regards TB
Thanks TP ill give it a go is it easy to do, a freind recommened some petrol treatment would this do a similar job?
There are no fault codes stored (no warning on the dash) and once this little drama is out of the way the car starts and runs fine all day
Do you think a good italian tune up will do?

Im taking my car to my parents in a couple of weeks to wash it (i dont have a driveway or any facilties at home) so ill pop the bonnet and have a look then and report back if im succesfull or ill be back red faced becasue i cant move it off the drive :-)
06 1.8 Intermittent starting problems - SpamCan61 {P}
Do you think a good italian tune up will do?

in a word ...no.... the little pipe TB talks about is blocked and no way is revving it going to help! the crud that builds up in the throttle valve body needs cleaning out, been through this one on SWMBO's Z18xe Zafira.
Thanks for the replys
Ill give it a go, when I take it to my parents to be cleaned i take it the throttle body is at the end of this pipe that comes from the air filter box? (linked image that i have crudely arrowed in photoshop)

tinyurl.com/yfk86hm

Probably, that looks very different to SWMBO's Z18XE but the throttle valve body sits between the air trunking (you've arrowed) and the inlet manifold.
Ok no worries ill give it a go, thankyou very much for the advice, ill report back but im unable to for a couple of weeks as i dont have the tools or the space to do it where i live at the moment

so i have to take it to my parents and wont be able to get there for the next week and a half or so - but i will report back even if i chicken out of doing it for fear of breaking something
wrong engine but same principle pipe from air filter where it joins engine thats the throttle body Regards TB
From the photo I assumed it was probably the 140bhp VVT ? as previously stated it sure doesn't look like a Z18XE- dipstick in wrong place, oil filler cap in wrong place etc.
06 1.8 Intermittent starting problems - TheOilBurner
We did have similar problems with our Zafira 2.2 direct. A clean of the throttle body and all has been well ever since.

However, that was at nearly 50k miles. I'd be surprised if the 1.8 VVT gunges up at just 30k.
On my "car pass" it says that the engine code is the Z18XER - IIRC I dont have it to hand at the moment
im not to sure if this the VVT or not - however it is around 130-140bhp I know that for sure

Thanks

Edited by redviper on 10/02/2010 at 14:33

Yeah, Z18XER is the 140bhp VVT engine; SWMBO's Zafira is a Z18XE1 IIRC, a mere 125 bhp. HopefullyTB can correct me if I'm talking rubbish.
right now i have the right engine code i can give you a bit more info the blocked pipe in question dont exsist for your engine and i doubt if you will find any crap in the throttle body but it wont hurt to look certainly, that said there is a software update for Bad Throttle Response from cold, the bad news is that its going to be dealer only unless you can find some one with the equipment (tech 2 plus the software or at least access to it) i can give you further details if needed have a look at the throttle body by all means but i would be surprised if thats the problem,Regards TB
Thanks tb that would be great but I don't want to waste anyones time if I don't do it...
on older cars I would be quite happy to unbolt things however with complex electronics I don't want to damage anything. The car is under warranty but I would have a hard time replicating the problem as it only ever happens 1st thing on a morning and I would like at this stage more information about the problem especially if I can sort it myself

If you do have some more information you could give me it would be very apreciated I just don't want to appear to be wasting your time if I decide not to tackle it myself

many thanks