07 1.4 fan belt noise - petespage
recently in this bad weather got squealing noise when very wet or cold and snowy. assumed fan belt needed tightning. at nissan service 28/01/10 reported noise. was told this noise had appeared on these vehicles recently and offered new fan belt £70+, car has only done 22,000 miles and service sheet says change belt drives every 5 years. anyway they tensioned up belt and I now get continuous screeching noise so will have to revert back to garage and possibly have new belt fitted. this seems wrong, garage can argue belt design is causing noise so cost down to me as belt is otherwise perfectly ok! if belt changed and noise still present will let you know but in view of garage comments on this noise would be interested if anyone else had this problem?
07 1.4 fan belt noise - scrapmetal
Tell dealer this is unacceptable and you want it changing free of charge, nissan note doesnt have a fan belt, it is the auxiliary drive belt.
07 1.4 fan belt noise - Robin the Technician
Hi,
£70+ to fit an auxilliary belt....is it coated with gold!!! Suggest you get a local indie to change it - it will be a lot cheaper than the Nissan dealer.

Robin the Technician
07 1.4 fan belt noise - Hoseman
I had a 1.6 Auto which started to squeal after approx 18K miles and I cured it by giving the belt a squirt of Belt Dressing from an aerosol spray can.
This product is in general use in engineering works to prevent belt slippage on machine tools such as lathes for example.
Its readily available from engineering supplies companies such as Bearing Services Ltd and costs about £8 a lot less than £70
Hope that this helps

Hoseman
07 1.4 fan belt noise - Jim Reaper

The first time my wife reported this noise after a damp start up the belt was “tightened” but was no different after a few days. The second time it was also adjusted with the same effect. The third time the belt has apparently been replaced with one from a “new batch” which are apparently softer material.

To be fair the dealer has responded to all her complaints and has been willing to resolve this issue although he reports no other customer with similar problems! I have however contacted another dealer who says there is a problem with belt material and suggests the newer type of belt. Time will tell with the arrival of damp weather.

Edited by Jim Reaper on 26/09/2010 at 20:55