Roadie Radar detector - smokie
Does anyone have any experience of this device? Makro have it in this week's Mail for £99. I found a few references on the net but no reviews. It is a Dutch device so I wonder whether it will cope with our speed detection equipment, and which devices it will detect.

And as I know people here frown on these devices, so I'll say I'm asking for a friend...
Roadie Radar detector - Mark (RLBS)
Did you check on the search button ? I know its not a very friendly search engine, but the name rings a bell and so it might find it.

Also, I'm moving this across to Discussion where its more appropriate and certainly likely to get the better feeback.

Worry not, I will prevent it becoming a speed soapbox.
Roadie Radar detector - The Watcher
You get what you pay for. Personally I think a £99 radar detector will be virtually useless because it will either pick nothing up or will pick everything up.

Id suggest youget a Beltronics or Snooper detector but they cost around £350.
Roadie Radar detector - Ian D
I also expect it will not be up to much.

Interestingly this weeks Autoexpress Motor Show Special magazine carried out a good test of a lot of the accident black spot detectors. In summary the best GPS based devices were Road Angel (£379) then Origin Blue i (£399) and the best radar/laser devices were Interceptor Mk3 (£269) then Bel Euro 550 (£360). The cheap detectors could barely pick up a GATSO until level with it and you could not switch off X band which would result in loads of false alarms.

The test results can be seen on www.autoexpress.co.uk (select Product Tests)
Roadie Radar detector - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"And as I know people here frown on these devices, so I'll say I'm asking for a friend..."

Who frowns on them? Cheeky lad!

The devices are reviewed in www.ukspeedtrapds.co.uk

Roadie's not there, but it'll tell you what's best.
Roadie Radar detector - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
"Worry not, I will prevent it becoming a speed soapbox."

Did you see that WPC the other day who booked a couple of teenagers for no tax/insurance on a soapbox? Silly girl.

Psssst......Don't mention speed. I did, but I think I got away with it................
Snooper. - Toad, of Toad Hall.
My brother & father both use snoopers. [1]

The devices cost 200 quid and detect laser and radar. [2]

Both swear by them and use them whenever on unfamiliar road.

Advantages are:

1) There are a lot of false alarms so they keep your speed down a lot.
2) They work on cameras brilliantly. I can confirm this.
3) They give false alarms near traffic lights which is a little extra warning.
4) A box beeping away on your dash constantly reminds yuo do drive more carefully.
5) I beleive that users or Radar detectors crash less on average.

Disadvantages:

1) False alarms; lot's of them. As I say above to many this will be an advantage.
2) They won't prevent a rozzewr on a motorway timnig you. (But the little box is there to remind you to stay roughly legal)

Conclusion: I do under 20k a year on roads I tend to know well so it's not worth the 200 quid or the hassle. If you're doing 75k a year on unfamiliar roads and you value your own safty and license you might want to think about one. Yuo are much mor elikely to drive within speed limits if you get false alarms every 10 minutes...

[1] My dads is provided free by his company!!!
[2] I didn't think you could effectively detect laser because it doesn't diffuse...
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
www.private-eye.co.uk/innews
Snooper. - Paul Mykatz-Tinks

"My brother & father both use snoopers."

So they're managers at TV licensing, eh?
Roadie Radar detector - 30+ahhhh
Hi

I to have been interested in this radar detector, the problem is that it is only 135euros in Holland not the £250rrp as Makro states. As no one in the UK seems to sell this device I have decided to leave it well alone. You can pick up the Snooper S1 for £79.99 which is cheaper and is practically the same spec.

Hope this helps

Paul

p.s Makro price is £117 with the VAT