Towing broken-down vehicles. - FotheringtonThomas
From the "ran out of petrol" thread.

What's the relevant law on this? I can't find definitive answers. Anyone?

I do seem to remember that there's a maximum distance between vehicles, and that one may not tow a motorcycle behind a car, but that towing a motorcycle with another motorcycle, or towing a car with a motorcycle, is OK. Something about lights must be displayed on the towed vehicle in adverse conditions.
Towing broken-down vehicles. - bell boy
there isnt a definative answer
if you are stuck and a rope can clear a dangerous situation for say a mile or two or the next motorway intersection then a rope is fine
however to comply with the law to the letter then a strongbar is the way forward,or it is until you try one
then its use a trailer a lift or a recovery
or push it down the embankment and run as ........................
ooooh look its caught fire and theres no number plates ,ive eaten the dodgy chassis number on the vin tag and fido has eaten the v5 ...................shame...........

..........................................taxi......................
Towing broken-down vehicles. - Robin Reliant
and that one
may not tow a motorcycle behind a car but that towing a motorcycle with another
motorcycle or towing a car with a motorcycle is OK.

I used my car to tow a mate on his broken down Bantam along the A13 from East Ham to Rainham many years ago. I decided that we would use the roundabouts as the flyovers might be a bit dodgy, especially as it was at night and his lights didn't work as the battery was flat.

The tow rope was looped round the forks, which took the edge off his steering to a degree. After seeing his antics on the first roundabout I decided it would be best to stop looking in the mirror and just cross my fingers and drive slowly and trust to his desire to live to hone his performance on the bike. Eventually we made it in one piece, and I commented that I wouldn't like to do that again. I won't give our new moderator his first hit by posting what my mates reply was.
Towing broken-down vehicles. - Dwight Van Driver
MV (Con and Use) regs

Length of Tow Rope
Where a trailer is attached to the vehicle immediately in front of it solely by means of a rope or chain, the distance between the trailer and that vehicle shall not in any case exceed 4.5m, and shall not exceed 1.5m unless the rope or chain is made clearly visible to any other person using the road within a reasonable distance from either side.
Towing by motor cycle
- (1) Subject to paragraph (2), a person shall not use, or cause or permit to be used, on a road a motor cycle -

(a) drawing behind it more than one trailer;

(b) drawing behind it any trailer carrying a passenger;

(c) drawing behind it a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg;

(d) with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar, and with an engine capacity which does not exceed 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer; or

(e) with not more than 2 wheels, without a sidecar and with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc, drawing behind it any trailer unless -

(i) the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1m;

(ii) the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5m;

(iii) the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;

(iv) the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and

(v) the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.

(2) Paragraph (1)(b), (d) and (e) do not apply if the trailer is a broken-down motor cycle and one passenger is riding it.

dvd
So, if I'm towing someone whose car has broken down, using my car to tow it with, the only restriction is in the length of tow-rope I use?
I used my car to tow a mate on his broken down Bantam
The tow rope was looped round the forks

The best thing to do is to wind the rope a turn around the handlebars, or wherever is apopropriate, and get the rider to hang onto the end. If there's trouble, he lets go, & is "disconnected".