Caught Speeding in Fog! - landyuk
Hi,

This morning I'm 100% certain I've been 'done' by a video van, as I went straight passed it on a dual carriageway (Leeds Road, Wakefield).

The limit is 40 mph and I think I was doing around 60mph. It was foggy as well - stupid I know, but 'he who is without sin......' etc etc.

Anyway, my question is, what is going to be the most likely outcome here? Will the fog be taken into account and used against me? What speed would I need to have been doing to get more than 3 points?

Or am I likely to just get £60 and 3 points notice?

A bit worried about this today so could do with my mind being put at ease please.

Thanks,

Paul.

{made non make/model specific}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2010 at 10:13

Caught Speeding in Fog! - NARU
Welcome to the forum Paul.

Sounds like you've been done I'm afraid. I can remember going past a mobile van in similar circumstances, and the same degree of worrry (fortunately not again since).

There may be a ray of hope - it may have been an ANPR van. But unlikely I'm afraid, unless you saw other police vehicles around to make the stops.

Sorry not to give you better news. Keep the speed down and up the observation!
Caught Speeding in Fog! - Dipstick
There's lots of speeding penalty calculators on the web - the first one filled in with the details you've given says:

Speed Limit: 40 mph
Speed Alleged: 60 mph
Fixed Penalty Threshold: 66 mph
Guideline Penalty: 4 or 5 penalty points plus a fine of 100% of your take home pay.
Am I likely to have to go to Court? No, unless this would give you 12 points or more

You currently have 0 relevant points on your licence and have held your licence for more than 2 years. If you accumulate 12 or more penalty points over a 3 year period you are likely to be disqualified as a "totter"
Caught Speeding in Fog! - ifithelps
...Anyway, my question is, what is going to be the most likely outcome here?...

Fine, points and possibly a short ban.

A rough guideline is that 'half as much again' over the limit puts you in banning territory, but it is just that, a rough guildeline.

The fog could be seen as an aggravating feature, but obviously not if you get the offer of a fixed penalty.