07 2.0 Another DMF issue?? - the_bandit
MK3 2.0TDCi

Out of the blue yesterday whilst out for the afternoon I experienced clutch slip. At only 30,000miles I couldn't believe what I was seeing as the rev counter danced up and down whilst under load and no corresponding increase in road speed.

The main dealer has seen the car for a road test and confirms the clutch is slipping and requires further investigation.

Does this sound like an issue with the DMF??

I'm not aware of any other DMF related symptoms such as starting problems or hearing any clunks whilst changing gear etc..

I'm also confident it's not me burning the clutch out prematurely. My previous cars have all done 75,000miles plus each under my two feet and none have experienced clutch issues.

Edited by the_bandit on 01/02/2010 at 17:26

07 2.0 Another DMF issue?? - WorkshopTech
From what you say I would say not a DMF problem, just a worn clutch.
Thanks for the reply.

If so, I wonder what has brought about its early demise?

Edited by the_bandit on 01/02/2010 at 20:12

07 2.0 Another DMF issue?? - tony@tooting
I can beat that.

A lady that "Never rides her clutch" owned a Nissan Micra that had done only 21,000 miles.
It required a new clutch, except that it wasn't the first replcement that it needed.....nor the second....nor the third....... She was on her 11th clutch!

If the vehicle is iused minly in traffic, just think how much the clutch is used oved the course of a year. Every time it is operated, it gets a bit more wear. Couple that to a heavy car......

As for the DMF, if it has one and I would suspect that it has, make sure it is replaced regardless with the new clutch and no, it would not have a drastic affect on clutch life, even if it had failed.
If the vehicle is iused minly in traffic just think how much the clutch is
used oved the course of a year. Every time it is operated it gets a
bit more wear. Couple that to a heavy car......
As for the DMF if it has one and I would suspect that it has
make sure it is replaced regardless with the new clutch and no it would not
have a drastic affect on clutch life even if it had failed.

The car travels approx 75% on motorway and remainder around town. My last Galaxy covered 75,000miles and required no clutch work. Same driver and same roads.

It does have a dual mass flywheel.

Edited by the_bandit on 03/02/2010 at 10:12

07 2.0 Another DMF issue?? - JohnM{P}
Oil leak contaminating the friction material?
(My LagunaII suffered intermittent clutch slip from 10k - dealer refused to do anything until it could be demonstrated. At 30k, they noticed 'a fluid' on the undertray and asked me to book the car in again. They decided it was hydraulic fluid, so they kept it until their mechanic experienced the slip; they then had to order the clutch from France... I presume the Galaxy has a cable, so perhaps a crank seal is weaping?)
Car is in workshop today.

I'll report back when I know more.

Thanks for your info JohnM{P}.
Diagnosis came back as worn clutch due to normal wear and tear.

No other fault can be found that could have led to wear at such a low mileage.

So I'm finding it a little hard to swallow but must pay for repair myself.

The joys of motoring !!