97 1.8 MOT Failure - Jarek D.
Hi, I have just registered with "Honest John" today but I have been reading it for years!!!
The best forum on the internet!!!
Now to my problem, I drive a 1997 mitsubishi carisma 1.8 petrol and my car just failed its MOT on "lambda reading after 2nd idle outside specified limits"

I have beed told by the mechanic that it might be a lambda sensor or a catalic converter!!!

The car is running perfect in every way, it is got 135.000 miles but the engine is fine, no lock of power, no misfire just a month ago "check engine" light lit up for a minute and then it never showed up again!!!

I am thinking about changing lambda sensor becaouse I don't think it is a catalic converter!!

What do You think??? Any help Would be greatlly appreciated!!!
Thank You!!!
97 1.8 MOT Failure - bathtub tom
I think the experts on here would like to see the full results.

Can you scan the document, or list the numbers in some way please?
Fast Idle test

CO <0.30 0.04
HC <200 12
L 0.97-1.03 1.120

2nd Fast Idle test

CO <0.30 0.02
HC <200 8
L 0.97-1.03 1.126

Natural Idle test

CO <0.50 0.09

That is about it.

One more question, what is the difference beetwen 26 pounds lambda sensor from ebay and 70 pounds from local spare parts shop???

Thank You very much!!!
Peter N. or Workshop Tech or sombody else Please help!!!
97 1.8 MOT Failure - doofer
Check the exhaust pipe for leaks. A tiny leak at one of the joints will be enough to cause high lambda.
If you have twin exhaust tailpipes block one off with a rag while it is being tested.
Make sure the tester is putting the probe all the way in to the exhaust.
97 1.8 MOT Failure - tony@tooting
Lambda is not a "gas", just a calculation of the four gasses that the machine tests. The trouble is, some makes of analyzer do not print out all four readings and like this one, is not showing the one you want to see, oxygen.
ANY hole in the exhaust system, before or after the CAT will affect the gas reading. And as Doofer has sugested, the exhaust has to be your first port of call.
The garage is wrong however to suggest a CAT. A failed CAT would give a high CO reading and failed Lambda sensors will 9 times out of ten do the same.
Hi, Thanks for all the help!!! I still have not done anything with the car, I am now thinking about scraping it but the car drives very good and there is nothing wrong with it except emissions!!!

I have checked for holes in the exhaust and I can not find anything wrong with it!!!

What would You suggest I do???

Change lambda and prey or change catalic converter or change both and go for a re test????

Thank You very much!!!
97 1.8 MOT Failure - tony@tooting
I would not just throw money at it. Best to find a local garage that is good with diagnostics and get them to spend an hour of their time to check it over. I still cant see how this is going to be a CAT/Lambda sensor fault.