Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - oilrag
Come on! You KNOW you had a medallion - your`re just trying not to remember.

Lud, would have had a solid gold one - in his Bentley period.

L,Escargot had a little St Christopher with `Ford Main Dealer` on the back - but lusted after a big silver `dinner plate` to hang around his neck - shirt open.

Remember the worry about whether the chain was soldered and links not just pressed together?
You went out to the disco then - having used that wide comb on the mop of permed hair. You were `advanced` in the finer points of civilized life and had a bottle of Liebfraumilch - and two glasses in the boot.

Your stories, Ladies and Gentlemen - please.

Let`s make this thread a good one `for the weekend` (as the barber used to say)

oilrag

Edited by oilrag on 29/01/2010 at 05:27

Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - Pugugly
The best I can claim is a hand-painted black 1961 Morris 1000 - with twin carbs (when they worked in harmony) cracking little beast - rubbish brakes on the way home from the dances
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - 1400ted
Never been a ' raver ' like you, Oily. Rarely visited discos in the 60s ( always too busy...in the back of the car ) and never had a medallion. I did wear a Beatle jacket and had various flares. My wedding suit was made by Gearge Best's boutique on King Street West in Manchester !
Honeymoon car, ( Scotland ) was a Mini Cooper 970S...... 4 years old in 1969. I did see a lot of medallion men though, I was the beat officer for Manchester's ' Carnaby Street ' area.
Heady days !!
Ted
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - tyro
Well, I never went to a disco in my life, and I didn't have a medallion, but back in the 60s I was the proud possessor of one of these: tinyurl.com/y8629x7

And to keep us on the theme of motoring, I had one of these, too.

tinyurl.com/ybo8w7e

Edited by tyro on 29/01/2010 at 12:00

Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - Pugugly
Had a Disco (TD5) once and probably a chest cold but no medallion !
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - Lud
Solid gold indeed oilrag! I was a tie-wearer on weekdays in my Bentley period. Never really went for medallions although a bit of exotic bling always appealed - African leather or Latin American lapis lazuli bracelets, that sort of thing. I had an aluminium chain plated with gold-coloured stuff, a thing that looked like a snake and just fitted round my neck that had cost practically nothing from a market stall. I used to wear that a bit earlier, along with black clothes and cracked shades. Might put on some eye shadow for parties too. I wasn't gay, but I certainly wasn't worried about people thinking I might be.

Being visibly dapper always seems an absolute no-no to me though. To me it is the opposite of anything that might be called style. I found the velvet flares and big shiny blotting-paper shoes of the late sixties and early seventies pretty awful, although I wore them like everyone else. I had a quite long bright pink plastic chain that I used to wear round my neck for satirical reasons, but my wife hated it so much that I stopped. Of course the nearest thing to style these days is a long, decently filthy beige mac from the chavs' favourite fashion house. Hair and looks fading fast. Not worth the effort these days.
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - 1400ted
I wonder M'Lud if, like me' you were a keen wearer of the cravat in those days ?
Always seeped to go with a convertable and a tweed flat cap.
Another fashion enthusiastically embraced was the neckscarf with the two end secored through a ring at the front. Worn behind the shirt collar at the back, but out at the front.
Roll neck jumper and driving coat also good.

Ted
keen wearer of the cravat in those days ?

Not what you would call keen Ted, although I wore them once or twice and still have a couple. Another cravat-like device worn by fops in the late sixties was a thing called a jabot - a couple of frills of lace with a bit of elastic to go round your neck. Awful! As bad as a clip-on bow tie.

I quite wanted to wear a cravat in the fifties at my last school, where it was a privilege of school captains and first teams (rugger, rowing, cricket). But I wasn't any of those things. I did belong to an academically-distinguished category though. One of our privileges was to wear a bow tie on Sunday evenings, but I didn't like those. Whenever anyone wore a clip-on one others would point at it accusingly and cry: 'That's a CLIPPIE!' to embarrass them.

To go with my dirty mac I wear a cheiche round my neck as a scarf - a seven-foot length of khaki cotton that you can wrap round your head as a turban and face-mask, a bit like a jilbab (I think it's called) for Muslim women, with a slot for the eyes. I was given it in the Sahara, where it is a functional garment, many years ago and am fond of it.
wear a cheiche round my neck as a scarf - a seven-foot length of khaki cotton

Eight foot six in fact - I held it up by the end before going out this evening and that was about what it seemed to be.

I used to have a pink one but my sister-in-law stole it. Got a shorter white one and a sort of buff one too. But they are too short.
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - Clanger
I never had a medallion having insufficient chest hair to nest it in and being unable to afford a chest wig.

Coming out of the Merrion centre disco (was it called Annabel's?) in Leeds I vaulted a railing and did a Starsky and Hutch roll across the bonnet of my 2-tone grey Victor 101 as it was filling up with a couple of mates and some girls (it was never locked). I know what you're thinking, I ripped my bell-bottoms on the wing mirror or damaged my back but the truth is more prosaic; I got athletically to the driver's door and tugged the handle only to find it flap up and down apparently not connected to the linkage. I had to empty the front bench seat of people and slide across. The muffled round of applause behind the steamed windows turned to boos and tuts.

PS Bring back bench seats and you wouldn't need people-carriers; I often used to carry 7 in the Victor.
Motoring to the disco medallion cold on the chest - Alby Back
Oh dear...confession time eh ?

OK, Triumph Spitfire with a ski rack on the boot lid, spacers and fat tyres. Replica WW2 flying jacket, 501s, cowboy boots, leather wristband and Turkish puzzle ring. Slightly later, hand painted ( orange ) Land Rover 90 3.5 V8, General Grabber tyres on white rims, rollcage, big Cibies mounted on bull bar, festooned with ski related stickers and of course the obligatory STP one. Rear mounted vertical ski rack. Clothes by now evolved into early Berghaus jacket and headband or bandana, the latter mainly reserved for non-UK use as wearing one on a Saturday night in Edinburgh might have resulted in tooth loss. Still jeans. Never ever flares. Dear me no. Mephisto Sherpa boots ( which I still have, can't kill 'em )

No medallion though. Bit too "English"......

;-)