Urban & Extra-urban figures - movilogo
Firstly, why do manufacturers always quote fuel economy figures for Urban & Extra-urban? Can they just not say "Town" and "Motorway" instead?

What does "Combined" mean? 50% town + 50% motorway?

Secondly, at what speed these figures are measured?

How nearer to these figures one can go under normal driving conditions?
Urban & Extra-urban figures - FotheringtonThomas
just not say "Town" and "Motorway" instead (of Urban & Extra-urban)?

Because that's the definition.

What does "Combined" mean? 50% town + 50% motorway?

www.savefuelsavemoney.co.uk/carsaveintro.htm

How nearer to these figures one can go under normal driving conditions?

Close, if you mimic the test.
Urban & Extra-urban figures - movilogo
The link is quite confusing!

Since it said cold start for urban use, in reality we should get a better figure for warm engine running longer distances.

How come average speed is 39 mph on motorway?? On a normal day, it is quite possible to do an average of 50-60 mph over a 20-mile or so distance!

Urban & Extra-urban figures - FotheringtonThomas
Since it said cold start for urban use in reality we should get a better
figure for warm engine running longer distances.

Yes, but that's not the test, which simulates a shortish urban journey starting from cold.

How come average speed is 39 mph on motorway??

It isn't. That's the average speed during the extra-urban test.

On a normal day it is quite possible to do an average of 50-60 mph over a 20-mile
or so distance!

Perhaps, but that's not the standard test.
Urban & Extra-urban figures - SteveLee
Extra Urban simulation isn't constant speed (motorway) cruising, it's more like A-road driving.
Urban & Extra-urban figures - TheOilBurner
Manufacturers are bound by EU law to use these terms and to perform the tests in a set way.

I've generally found that if you drive long distances on the motorway, observing the speed limit and not spending too long in traffic at each end of your journey, it's generally possible to average at or slightly above the so-called combined figures.

The extra urban figures are nearly impossible in the real world unless you're prepared to draft trucks at 55mph all day...
Urban & Extra-urban figures - tyro
>>Can they just not say "Town" and "Motorway" instead?

Why should they? I drive on rural A roads a lot, but do hardly any motorway driving.

My guess is that one gets roughly the same sort of fuel consumption on rural A roads that one gets on motorways.
Urban & Extra-urban figures - jbif
movilogo:

Official faq
www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/faq/

also see
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81830&...f

Edited by jbif on 28/01/2010 at 14:39

Urban & Extra-urban figures - lotusexige
The fact is that while you probably compare car A with car B from the published figures what YOU will get from either will be down to how YOU drive it more than anything else. I would also think that the person who presses on will do proportionaly worse in the more economical car than in the less economical car.