Rising cost of Insurance - Brentus
This morning on BBC news they had a guy on discussing rising cost of Car Insurance. What i found interesting was what he said about uninsured drivers. He reckoned about 100.000 unisured drivers and stopped and their cars confiscated destroyed or whatever. This was possible through the introduction of the APNR system. remember on another thread we discussed this and i said i thought it was working. Well if this guys figures are correct 100.000 really isnt a lot don't you think, for the amount of drivers on the road what do you reckon. So where i thought APNR was effective it maybe is not as effective as it should be.

Regarding Expensive insurance i have managed to keep increases to a minimum by shopping around using all the usual means available. How is your insurance quote are you managing to keep it sensible.

This guy by the way was blaming unisured drivers, people who don't bother to get insured , i think he said something like 1 in 20 not insured.
Rising cost of Insurance - brum
From what I've learned over the last couple of years that a lot of recent immigrants buy second hand cars, dont register them (or give false details) and ride without insurance/MOTs.

Talking to them, I get lots of excuses "dont understand the need - back home we dont need insurance - I'm covered by my mother in laws back home - they wont catch me or I'll just say I dont speak english - I pay tax - wont keep the car long - its not my car - yeah, but I dont speak english so cant speak to anyone about it - so what? - insurance? thats optional isnt it?" etc etc.

A lot of these characters also drink/drive and drive like lunatics. Could be tens of thousands out there.

Not just hearsay but personal knowledge.
Rising cost of Insurance - SteveLee
A few months ago a friend of mine was knocked off his bike by a u-turning MPV, as luck would have it a police car witnessed the whole event, as my friend picked himself and the bike up (about £1000 worth of cosmetic damage) he was happy to see the officers interviewing the driver. The officers handed the man his keys and sent him on his way. They came over with the name and address details of the driver on a piece of paper for my friend.

"Where's the insurance details?" asked my friend.
"Oh he isn't insured" retorted the police officer.
"Why didn't you impound the car?" asked my friend.
"There are no units available" said the officer.

My friend got his money eventually but only after threats of physical violence, the address details were correct but the driver was playing the old "don't speak English" trick, I pleaded with my mate to take things further with the Met for dereliction of duty - he couldn't be asked.

I would have sued the Met for aiding and abetting a criminal offence, they are quick to stop and prosecute a driver for speeding because it might cause an accident, and yet they witness an actual accident by an uninsured driver and then send him on his way knowing he is driving illegally!! Yes he may have got a producer etc. the point is his car should have been impounded.
Rising cost of Insurance - movilogo
Often cost of hire car exceeds the repair cost of damaged vehicle! 3rd party insurance should only provide money for personal injury (yes, that could run into millions) and repair of the car.

That should bring down the premium to a great extent.

For hire cars, people can take their own additional insurance.
Rising cost of Insurance - Brentus
Interesting post Steve. You couldn't make it up. Amazing. The trouble is people just can't be bothered to take things further these days, i call it apathetic.
Rising cost of Insurance - Andrew-T
People just can't be bothered to take things further these days,

Might this be because (a) many people can afford the cost of moderate repairs (b) they reckon it may cost them more to employ lawyers and other costly support (c) it may just be more hassle than it's worth?