Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - spidermonkey
Hi chaps, just wondering the best an cheapest place to buy a private number plate from...i know the DVLA sell them from £250 "all inclusive" whatever that means...but is there anywhere better than this?

Cheers spidermonkey
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - freddy1
ebay , but remeber that you will have to pay the DVLA £80 for the transfer,

DVLA are prob quoting prices INC transfer
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Pugugly
Same plates on DVLA site are usually cheaper than the very same plates that brokers sell.
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - TurboD
I would try DVLA first - always for the best buy, also they are easy to deal with too. I do not always trust ebayers.
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - 1400ted
Agreed, we bought a cheapie from the DVLA and the whole process was first class from buying on-line to getting the paperwork a few days later.
Their price included thec £80 fee,

s******* HeHe !

Ted
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Manatee
Do you want a particular number? If so you can only buy from whoever has it for sale (unless it's an unissued DVLA prefix or new-style plate) allowing that people may have them with multiple agencies. Or do you just want any dateless plate say?

Edited by Manatee on 22/01/2010 at 23:11

Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Westpig
i know the DVLA sell them from £250 "all inclusive" whatever that means...but is there

Includes the VAT and transfer fee, so that's all you pay, no extras.

To re-emphasise what a couple of others have already posted, I half heartedly looked at a plate advertised by a private company that was e.g. A111??? and they wanted over £600 for it, plus the £80 transfer fee, so I didn't bother.

A plate with the same letters and prefix letter, but with only two numbers e.g. A20??? was £250 all in from DVLA.

Don't get ripped off.
Price includes the lot.
I got H10 *** for £250............good service.

Ted
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - spidermonkey
Thanks for the replies chaps, having done extensive research on the web i agree DVLA themselves seem cheapest, shame they won't let me make the car look newer than it is though!! didn't know that...so if you want to put a private plate on a L reg car the prefix letter has to be between A-L...!!

Just one little question!! my current numberplate on my motor i own at the moment only has 6 letters/numbers to it!! T** *** does that make it some sort of private plate? i've had it for years but never really gave it a thought but most cars have 7 letters/numbers.
It might make it a bit more special but you've got to have good letters UYX orsomething like that won't find you a buyer.
Nice letters or almost a name EMA or JAK are saleable.. I had SPC 5 on a Jowett. It sold for £1500 twenty odd years ago...good letters. I think somone like Steven Peter Cambell bought it for a Porsche....Still on ASKMID but not on a Porsche now.
I have TED *** on a moped. A good freind deals in number plates and says it's worth £15K to the right buyer. It's a Porsche model number.
So, I have to find..Somone who has a Porsche ***, called Ted, wants a private plate and has, and is willing to spend, £15,000. Not easy.
Oh, and the plate is ' non-transferable ' as well. That knocks it all on the head !
Interesting subject, I find.
Good luck with the search.

Ted

Edited by Webmaster on 23/01/2010 at 22:15

Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Paul G1pdc

GOOD SUBJECT. i bought a plate end of last year,,,heres my waffle...

First off let me say a private number plate is something I've never considered in the past,
but when a chap at work started looking on the DVLA web-site and we found depending
upon what you where looking for some of the plates can be bought for resonable prices.
The price also include the transfer fee.
What this means is when you buy a private plate you have to transfer the new plate onto your
current car, this paperwork is chargable to the tune of £80.
When you buy a plate check that this fee is included, for ease I've only mentioned the DVLA,
website as this cost is included,,,,(google... "DVLA number plates")
first off you need to choose weather you want an old style or new plate...
ie.....A123XYZ or AB51CDE
note that the number plate can't be newer than your car, ie if you have a number plate
++51+++ you can't use ++57+++
costs of plates including this transfer fee start at £245 and go up to the skys the limit...
a quick play around and I found the following...
Y2 JOG for £490
H16JOG for £245
Y8RUN for £490
P777RUN for £245
S17LOG for £245....lets not get silly....OK OK
Y10NAG for £490

Paperwork, when you've bought the plate and paid via the net you get sent a letter from the DVLA,
this gives you 10days to cancel if you change your mind (or your partner finds out!!)
If you still want one take that letter to Halfords (other number plate makers exsist) where for £13 each
they'll knock up the plastic plates.
You then have to fill in the details on the paperwork sent by the DVLA this is basically the info from
your car registration documents, copied onto the new paperwork, once you've sent this off, you'll
have to wait for the DVLA to process it, and then you'll be given the go ahead to swap the plates onto
your car. (also note to tell the car insurance company)
as you can guess i'm into running....
bought +++RUN FOR £245.
london marathon in april running for "help for heros" + "jdrf"
Paul. must be mad....nearly 40....
Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - lionelturnerc04

Hi. I know showplates selling cheap number plates and you can customize it if you want. They ensure that each of their product outputs reflect the superiority and excellence of the quality they consistently strive for.

Edited by Avant on 16/04/2015 at 01:11

Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - alan1302

Hi. I know showplates selling cheap number plates and you can customize it if you want. They ensure that each of their product outputs reflect the superiority and excellence of the quality they consistently strive for.

If they need to advertise like this then they must obviously be of a very low quality and a company to steer clear of. Thanks for the warning J

Edited by Avant on 16/04/2015 at 01:11

Cheapest place to buy a private number plate? - Snakey

I used an online company (carplates4less) for my wifes private plates a couple of years ago.

It was just under £300 for the whole lot - including transfers and a set of the plates which I thought was OK. All went through pretty quickly as well.

No association with them, just a satisfied customer.