09 1.6 Satnav - Harpic
I had a communications pack supplied with my new Focus a couple of months ago. The car is great, but the satnav is not as good as a previously-owned Garmin Nuvi,
Today I tried entering a valid postcode, but was not offered a choice of letters/numbers beyond the third position by the satnav- it had the next number in the sequence greyed-out. I re-checked the postcode to find that I had not made a mistake in my entires, and the address I needed was in existence well before the Focus was even a twinkle in its designer's eye.
Has anyone experienced this type of problem, and have they overcome it?
How do I update the satnav data (using an SD card), - and is up-to-date data expensive??
By the way, the user manual supplied does not cover the communications pack. Luckily, most of its functions are intuitive.
09 1.6 Satnav - sandy56
I am familiar with different sat-navs but not the one fitted in the new Focus.
It could be that the map data in the unit is not as good as it could be and is having trouble finding the address. SOme sat navs have blind spots where they are only good for main roads.
09 1.6 Satnav - Harpic
Thanks for this, Sandy. From what you say. I will first try entering that postcode when the car is in a different location. If that fails, I'll visit the dealer amd try him out.....!
09 1.6 Satnav - Tommk4
This may or may not be of assistance but my satnav, which is a binatone, sometimes does a similar thing where you put in a street name and it will not find it, however if you leave it for 5 minutes or so, it will, all of a sudden, appear.

So perhaps yours, like mine, might just be slow to load up the maps or retrieve data or whatever it is they do.
09 1.6 Satnav - WorkshopTech
frankly I think most of the built-in satnavs are not as good at the aftermarket ones. Granted they are neater in the car, but they usually cost an arm and a leg to upgrade. I have one in my BMW, its a couple of years old and they want a stupid amount for new maps, I could buy 2 tomtoms for the same money. Its not even very user friendly.
09 1.6 Satnav - Harpic
....Granted they are neater in the car but they usually cost an arm and a leg to upgrade......

Reckon you're right about "upgrades". Looks like the same kind of situation when buying a printer. Cost (new) of printer + ink cartidge= £30, new ink cartidge = £26.>>
09 1.6 Satnav - Harpic
Thanks! I tried this, but the Ford unit continued to sulk. Methinks Ford will want many shekels for an up-to-date set of map data....