In N Out Garage - Bristol - mikeyb
Anyone used these guys? I know normally that we should all avoid fast fit type places but the Mrs car is due a service (fed up with it bleeping everytime I get in....) but am pretty skint. Has been main dealer serviced to date but is now at 60K and 4 half years old, so not much point following that through now.

These guys look a bit different as they dont sell tyres / exhausts etc - they just do servicing. They also do a nice little package where you get 2 services, aircon recharged, and 6 vallets plus MOT in a year for 290 quid.

Before anyone else suggests it I only have one local independant and he wants almost the same as main dealer to do a service plus he dosent give out nice coffee and clean all the kids crap out of the car

Friend has used them and is very happy, but would welcome anyone elses experiences - good or bad
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Lud
The essential thing is to know what the 'service' comprises.

That package sounds suspiciously cheap to me. I'd rather clean my own car, or leave it filthy, than have someone skimp on the other stuff. A valet clean of a large car can cost 290 quid on its own I would have thought.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Altea Ego
it filthy than have someone skimp on the other stuff. A valet clean of a
large car can cost 290 quid on its own I would have thought.

What? how much do your local tribe of Latvians charge then? 30 quid for a full blown valet here.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Lud
There are places in town that are quite expensive. But I guess 290 would be on the high side. You can tell how often I get a valet clean AE.

I still think that package sounds dodgy though.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - barneybear
During these times as more people are hard up, some garages are finding it hard to keep going. Offering a "deal" ties you in for a while. They might not give you a full "warrenty-style" service, but it should be good enough I guess. Some chains like Nationwide appear to offer a good deal, especially if you get a friend with an AA card or use the "serve-20" code for more discount.
You can always ask for a basic no-frills service and save the cleaning costs.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - M.M
I'd be worried they are spreading themselves too thin.

6 x £30 valets, £50 MOT & £50 aircon gas leaves just £10 for two services!

I assume too that they are taking the payment up front for work to be spread over a year??? If so I wouldn't touch it.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - bathtub tom
>>he dosent give out nice coffee and clean all the kids crap out of the car

If I want a decent coffee, I go to a decent coffe bar, similarly...................

Get my drift?
In N Out Garage - Bristol - MGspannerman
They have a branch in Northampton which I have used on various occasions. Efficient and slick service but sometimes it is in - wait quite a long time with no apparent sign of activity - and out. Used it for MOTs and found them to be fair but pernickety. If they pick up faults and then quote for them they do sometimes sub them out elsewhere. Nice coffee, comfy waiting room and just as well as you sometimes spend serious time there. If they lived up more to the in and out promise I would use them more, but with unpredictable waiting times no aadvantage over my trusted local.

MGs
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Victorbox
Having heard their ad on local radio my first reaction was that is too good to be true. An oil & filter change and an inspection for everything else?
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Bromptonaut
We have one of these in Northampton as well. Always teeming with customers.

If I just wanted a quick and cheerful oil change on a basic car I'd give them a try. Would check out spec and quality of components first though - a duff filter could probably do quite a lot of damage.
Thanks Chaps - you can pay for all the bits seperatly service is about 100 quid, aircon regas / drain is about 80 and vallets are something like 20 quid.

I asked them about what they use - Castrol Edge oil and coopers filters. Also forgot to mention that if I buy the package you can take the car in as many times as you like for what they call a top up - basicaly oil check / top up, screenwash refill and tyre presure check. Not really of much value to me, but might use now and again.

Must admit though that it does appear a bit to cheap. If I go for it will get the first service and aircon done to limit the loss if they dissapear, although will pay by credit card so may have some protection I guess?

Eitherway, no negatives so far and one recomendation from a friend
In N Out Garage - Bristol - cheddar
What car is it?

Brunel Ford will service a 3 + year old Ford for £99, you get a stamp in the book and keep the corrosion warranty intact.
Its a VW Sharan of the TDi variety
In N Out Garage - Bristol - cheddar
You could ask Brunel, it is after all exactly the same as the previous model Galaxy.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - bathtub tom
>>6 x £30 valets, £50 MOT & £50 aircon gas leaves just £10 for two services!

Also.

If they go under, what happens to the money you've paid up front for the future services?

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 18/01/2010 at 23:08

In N Out Garage - Bristol - jacks
I havn't used them but pass by the place fairly often.

As I understand the 99 quid service is quite basic: A 15 point check plus oil and filter change.

the checks are: top up all fliud levels, check tyre pressures and tread, check a/c temp,lights, wipers, and underneath checks steering, suspension, brake condition.

air and/or pollen filters, spark plugs, fuel filter etc are all extra cost if required.

The service plus (125 quid) is just the above plus an oil flush and a fuel system treatment added to the fuel tank.

It doesn't make any mention of any model specific / mileage specific service items like coolant or brake fluid change or cam belts etc.

I suppose the big advantage of this place is that the work is done quickly (2 technicians work on the car so it's done in 40 minutes) and as you can watch them do the work you do know that is actually done! and you are shown old worn parts etc.

The unknown factor is how much they charge when they do find that the car needs pads, discs, shocks etc - do you have to rebook while they get the parts? and of course how competitive are they on the extra work that will often be required?

J

In N Out Garage - Bristol - Falkirk Bairn
>>The unknown factor is how much they charge when they do find that the car needs pads, >>discs, shocks etc - do you have to rebook while they get the parts? and of course how >>competitive are they on the extra work that will often be required?

Like many of the cheap service packages and Main Dealer Fixed Price Services you can be rest assured the final bill will be much greater.

I know of co car owners who go for a £300 Main Dealer service and come out with a bill £500-£800 - not occasionally but nearly every time - pads, disks, fluids, a/c re charge, bushes.............................
In N Out Garage - Bristol - paul2007
Hi

These types are ok for cars that are 8/9 years and older and simple to maintain, EG, ford KA, Fiat uno, old 1.6 modeo/etc.

however, nwever cars and if under warranty, avoid as they will not know the exact specs.

imagaine getting car X serviced but they knew naff all about timing belt change, gearbox transmission oil/etc, the so-called cheap service will work out to be very dear.

i'd mark all my old car components that required repalcing with that security pen and check if replaced.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - bbroomlea{P}
>>Its a VW Sharan of the TDi variety

It should be a PD engine then. I doubt very much for that price they will use the right oil. If you dont use PD oil then it will cause damage to the cam lobes and cost you a top end engine rebuild in the long run.

So many local and fastfit type garages dont know they need special oil and think its ok to use whats in the big barrel 'out the back'.

I have a similar dilema as my 2002 Audi 1.9 diesel is due a longlife service but really dont want to spend £250 at the local independant as its done 170,000 miles now and I am getting rid soon. I will probably do it myself one weekend and just change the oil, fuel and air filter along with 5 litres of PD oil - £50 max!

I do need to find out how to reset the 'service' display as I am too sick of it beeping every time I get in the car :-)
In N Out Garage - Bristol - dieselfitter
Audi dealers will do an interim service on cars >3 years old for £99. I guess this is basically an oil change.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - bbroomlea{P}
It is just an oil and filter change on fixed servicing. The cost of the oil is around £20 and the filter about £6. I dont normally get my hands dirty but for the 15 minutes it would take to change the oil and filter, even at Audi labour rates £99 is extortionate - its about £280 an hour!!!!
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Falkirk Bairn
at Audi labour rates £99 is extortionate - its about £280 an hour!!!!

You have to pay for the Receptionist that took 15 mins to book the car in, the storeman for the filter, the accounts clerk that produced the invoice, the glass roof to the palace................and the Service Manager who dreamed up the £99 offer.

At my local Indie the Managing Director changes my oil & filter and I pay his wife, the Finance Director £40-50 depending on which car it is.
In N Out Garage - Bristol - Victorbox
Audi dealers will do an interim service on cars >3 years old for £99. I
guess this is basically an oil change.

Made me laugh that BMW garages around here are advertising in the local press that they aren't expensive with their "special" prices for 3 year old 3 Series - example: oil and filter change for something like £140!!!!

Edited by Victorbox on 21/01/2010 at 10:35

bbroomlea - thanks for the reminder that it is indeed a PD so some more investigation regarding the oil spec is required. It does look as though its not a lot more than an oil change, however I am not sure that the schedule calls for much more than that.
Well, sorry to dig up an old thread but I have just discovered that my VW dealer has a nice little offer on. 100 point service for 89.99 which sounds pretty good, but in addition they chuck in a years RAC cover valued at 136 quid.

Sounds like a safer option and cheaper to. Not sure if this is on at all VW dealers or just some.