03 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - misterp
Hi
attempting to turn right this morning into another minor a few yards from home I completely lost traction and the car slid towards the opposite kerb, hitting it with the car at an angle of 45 degrees and the wheel on half right lock as I attemted to straighten the wheel to ride up the kerb with the wheels square. the car came to an abrupt halt.

There is no visible damage, but should I take this to a garage or is it within what the tolerance of the alloy/ steering/ suspension system ( I was travelling at 1-3mph at impact but obviously it took the weight of the car)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2010 at 15:11

20 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - WorkshopTech
You could take it to be on the safe side.
Carefully inspec the alloy for damage (including cracks) and see if the steering wheel is still straight on a straight road. If it really was only 1-3mph then I wouldnt expect any damage other than a minor mark to the alloy,
20 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - misterp
just had a better look as it was dark when I did it. This is a hailine crack in the spoke and the rim is very rough.
The spare has a full alloy I think so better get them swapped
20 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - WorkshopTech
If the alloy is cracked then it is scrap. There are people that will try to weld them, but I wouldnt trust it.
Been quoted £170 for a new one by toyota. Seems a lot, how much is a new set of alloys 195/60/15 ??
20 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - Dynamic Dave
As you've got an alloy spare wheel, fit that on the car and replace it with a steel wheel for the spare. It'll be a lot cheaper than buying a replacement alloy.

btw, corrected the year from 20 to 03 - following a forum search of a previous posting you made about this car.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/01/2010 at 15:12

Sorry, the spare is a steel wheel, my mistake, just fitted it. The alloy definitely needs replacing , but quick internet searches indicate I could get a complete new set for under £200 ?
I am thinking my local tyre place would fit my ( 4 month old) tyres to these for £50?. There were some minor rust spots developing on some of the wheels when the tyres were replaced, I intend to keep the car, would I be better just ordering a new set of alloys? The Dealer wants the money upfront for the one new alloy so is hassling me to order it. I am thinking ''hold on a minute....what makes sense here ?
20 2.0 slid into Kerb ? get wheel checked ? - adverse camber
Thats about right for a new OEM alloy.

Try ebay for a replacement if you want a cheap one.

195/60/15 is a tyre size. Wheel sizes are much more complex, you need the physical size (diameter and width) plus the offset, the stud pattern/diameter, the hub diameter.

something like 7J15H2ET45 5x112 as a starter