Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - Grape
Hi
I read a few of the threads on this matter and want to put in a general comment.
I am posting this from Sweden were we have quite a bit of snow combined with -20 temperatures each year. Only one of my colleagues have a 4x4 (subaru) but by law they do need to have winter tyres fitted (studded or non-studded) each and every winter. I have a 1997 Audi A4 and with winter tyres (unstudded) I can get around no worries.
I should also add that (at least in the UK) unless you are an essential worker why do you want to drive out in poor weather? One must remember that although you might be in a bullet proof 4x4 the guy in the Fiesta skidding into your rear, or the 20T lorry jack knifing across the road isn't. My advice is that in the few and seldom days we get snowy weather, keep patience and stay indoors.
Grape.
Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - grumpyscot
Sadly, the UK is in recession where many people are being made redundant. One way that they try to avoid redundancy is to keep their heads down and work - and many companies now adopt the policy of "if you don't turn up for work, you don't get paid". So peope take to the roads not because the work they do is imprtant, but keeping their job is.

For example. my son works in a small business (only about 10 people) where the office temperature has barely risen above 5C. Legal minimum is 16C - but he doesn't complain, as the boss will simply sack anyone who complains, and son needs the job to pay his mortgage.

So no matter what tyres he has, staying indoors is simply not an option if hw wants his home and family to stay together.
Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - FotheringtonThomas
I should also add that (at least in the UK) unless you are an essential
worker why do you want to drive out in poor weather?

'Cos it's *great* fun!
One must remember that although you might be in a bullet proof 4x4

Pah.
the guy in the Fiesta skidding into your rear or the 20T lorry jack knifing
across the road isn't.

Yes, these people must be avoided.
Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - bell boy
i went to work today and every road was just a sheet of black ice
the wife went at 7.30 am and thankfully she got there in one piece,she has two colleagues in her office who smashed their cars up last week
a walking to work colleague has busted her arm
why do they take this punishment?
because if they dont then they dont get paid
im at work and i might as well not bother for the good its doing me
but its stiff upper lip and all thats british old chap

toodles pip
Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - Mapmaker
I am told that packed snow at -20C is as grippy as tarmac!
Snow tyres, 4x4 etc etc - madf
My experienced of packed snow at -17C last week is that it is like a skating rink.

I was running at the time with trail shoes - as grippy as they come without studs or chains.

I just kept my feet... (Touch wood I have yet to fall running in snow.. In summer yes, in mud yes, in snow no)