99 1.9 Expert Diesel van refuses to start - stuartl
My 1.9 Non-Turbo Diesel van has refused to start this morning. It has been turning over slowly recently but hasnt failed to start once even in thick snow. This morning it turned over but didnt sound like it was even 'firing' (wrong terminology I know!).

A year ago I replaced the glow plugs so cant imagine they would need changing again.
I tried 'double preheating' it, given the battery a jump start and a charge but it still wont start. It was fine on Saturday, didnt use it yesterday, cant use it today.

Any ideas at all please?

99 1.9 Expert Diesel van refuses to start - Peter.N.
Could be that you have air getting into the fuel line, try pumping the primer until it goes hard before you start it. You would normally get white smoke from the exhaust if it was injecting fuel but not firing, so if you don't, air in the fuel is the most likely cause, or failure of the fuel solonoid in the pump, quite easy to do if it doesnt have a keypad, very difficult if it does.
Hi Peter, thanks for the reply, I will try pumping the primer once I have some juice back in the battery. I have read online that bypassing the immobiliser and taking a permanent live to the fuel pump works but not sure if that was for the nat. aspirated diesel like mine or the TDi. Mine doesnt have a keypad but my knowledge of diesels is as close to nothing as it gets. I dont think there was any white smoke when I was cranking it though, will have a look at the next attempted start! thanks again, Stuart
Just tried the primer and pushed it probably about 20 times till it was firm, still no joy. On cranking there is no smoke to speak of coming from the exhaust. This is a nightmare, no work last week because of the weather and now the van has died.
Battery now fully charged and still it wort fire up. Are there any simple diagnostics I can try at all?>
Does it have a keypad immobiliser?
No Peter, it doesnt have a keypad.
Regards Stuart
99 1.9 Expert Diesel van refuses to start - TurboD
It's not too cold is it? Fuel will be thick sump oil also thick and battery a bit slow.
You could see if the fuel is atomising by getting an injector out and seeing if it sprays . This can be dangerous as fuel will go through you skin, so keep gloves on. I could do this with pre common rail ones anyway, check for leaks/broken fuel lines also.
Thanks TurboD, I did wonder if the cold played a part but it is a lot milder here today(+2 deg cent when I first tried it at 7am) and it started ok last week in the heavy snow and cold. Doesnt appear to be any fuel leakage. Will try the injector check after dinner, thanks. Battery is now fully charged. A right pain as I work away from home so now have to take wife's car and wont get to try anything on the van till the weekend but please keep suggestions coming, they are really really appreciated.......
If it doesn't have a keypad presumably you can access the fuel solonoid, this will be toward injector pipe end of the pump on the top. It has a wire connected to the top of it and unscrews from the pump, take it out and remove the plunger and refit, if this is the problem the engine should now start but you will have to stop it by stalling.

Edited by Peter.N. on 11/01/2010 at 21:22

That is REALLY interesting Peter. In my day spent trawling the internet I have found that the van is very similar to the 806. A neighbour has one and lent me a citroen zx manual that again is similar. I saw this fuel solenoid in the manual and thought it looked worth a shot if my van had one. I will give this a go and report back with the results. Your advice today had been really helpful and I am very grateful to you.
99 1.9 Expert Diesel van-where is stop solenoid?? - stuartl
I have bought a replacement stop solenoid in the hope that I can at least identify where it is in the engine bay but I just cant see it at all??

Anyone know where the thing is please???