This Oil Sucker Any Good? - paul2007
has anyone use this?

www.pelapumps.co.uk/default.aspx?orig=ga

If you have used, in your judgement, are you able to drian approx 98%+ of the opil out of the sump? (if not, a bit of new oil and suck again should clean up the oil that is left behind.)

Imo, saves a lot of time for the diy
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - bell boy
anybody who works on engines and appreciates how they work would ignore this modern phenominum to shortcut the oil drain process
why?
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Lygonos
Generally gets a lot of praise from those who use them.

Anyone who thinks you can drain 100% of the engine's oil via the sump plug is wrong anyway, and this is fine for someone who wants to change their own oil.

Personally still drain via the sump ;-)
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - SteveLee
Because they leave the crap and sludge in the bottom of the sump.
You'll find any crap/sludge generally stays up at the top of the engine.

> nice one Lygonos i take it youve sometime taken a sump pan off
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Rattle
I would have thought that gravity pushes a lot of the sludge from the top of the engine down the oil wells into the sump. Some of this then gets stuck in the oil wells causing problems like the infamous chain wear on Vauxhalls.

If these suckers mean oil is likely to be changed more often then surely they do more good than harm though?
Indeed. Any crud baked onto it can stay there as far as I'm concerned - draining oil through the sump plug certainly doesn't shift it.

Main reason for crud is failure to change oil regularly, not failure to use the sump plug.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - guss
Have a 6 litre one use it on all the family cars and lawnmowers .Seems to work very well easy to use. Seems to get most of the oil out no problem as long as the oils warm. Some cars smart i believe is one dont have sump plugs anymore so cant be that bad ?

Hmmm, being that I've rebuilt roughly a 100 engines in my time and have seen the inside of plenty of sumps - I can safely say I disagree with that comment! :-)
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - 1400ted
Same here, Steve, sump always contains crud when you take it off.

Ted
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - davmal
Yes. Even if it was drained through the plug!
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - henry k
anybody who works on engines and appreciates how they work would ignore this modern phenominum to shortcut the oil drain process

>>
IIRC when this was discussed before two important points were made.
MB and I understand other makes do not have a sump plug and you cannot easily get under the sump of many smaller marine engines so sucking is THE method of removing the old oil.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - ifithelps
...so sucking is THE method of removing the old oil...

When we first heard of pumps in the 1970s, we derided them as stuff used by home bodgers - people who didn't have access to a proper ramp.

Plus some sump plugs were magnetic and needed to be wiped clean.

However, time has moved on.

I suspect today's pumps create a decent vacuum and may even do a better job than traditional draining.

Thank you all.
I recall the magnetic sump plug on my Vauxhall or audi, early 90's as i changed the oil - was younger then -lol.

must go to bed - had a few drinks in celebration of the weekend.

Anyone else used the gadget?

agree with the poster - if oil is changed more often as this system will allow, no or less rubbish in oil.

when i bought my brand new Mondeo St in 98 - never serviced once - had car for 6 years, i just changed the oil every year but it was low mileage after six years 41k.

Personally if i was to buy for the jeep and not my prized MB S 600, i would defo change oil every 6 months - add a bit of new oil, let it sit there in the warm sump and sucker it out - then put in good oil and new filter.

The lack of drain plugs with some cars is simply to save the time and cost of a service as are ever extending service intervals, fleet companies buy cars based on cost per mile, as long as the engine lasts through its warranty period that's all the manufacturers care about. With modern oil and modern manufacturing tolerances you can get away with murder.

Changing oil between services and draining it via the sump (if possible) will greatly extend engine life. Engine oil is knackered past 7-9K miles, especially the modern pee thin stuff specified to reduce fuel consumption, ensure that cheaper starter motors and batteries can be used and to remain chemically stable to "last" 20K+ miles. Modern engines would happily run past 300,000 miles if you change your oil regularly. Shame about the current crop of ultra high pressure fuel injection systems which will make this generation of cars economically non-viable to repair way before the rest of the car is worn out. The pre common rail/DFI petrol engined cars are the most reliable cars ever made. It's down hill from here until we replace the internal combustion engine or run them on LPG.

I worked for a large oil company a few years ago, we were developing a fully synthetic engine oil, naturally we tested the oppositions' oil. Viscosity and anti-sheer properties were way out of spec by the equivalent of 5K miles for all oils - except one - only Mobil 1 actually did what it said on the tin, our product like all the others couldn't hold a candle to it. It's only the simply breath-taking advances in metallurgy and engineering tolerances that have led us down the road of extended services and suction oil changes even though the engines spend the bulk of their life running on shot oil.
Hi SL

Many thanks for the v informative, sensible & brill post!

Anyone - re the mention of lack of oil drain plugs - which cars lack these?

edit = just read the post about smart car, has no drain plug = cheers

Edited by paul2007 on 09/01/2010 at 11:23

Could these not damage the cylinder head if the suction was too strong?
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - merganser
How?
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Manatee
Could these not damage the cylinder head if the suction was too strong?

No. The only place there is any vacuum is in the extractor. They don't pressurize the crankcase (well if you want to be pedantic, it's the {atmospheric} pressure in the crankcase that pushes the oil up the tube against the lower pressure in the extractor).

I use a 6000. The bit of the tube that goes down the dipstick tube is the same as bicycle brake cable outer. So it takes a while.

It quite possibly does leave some crud that might be dislodged by draining more quickly through the plughole, but as I'm doing extra changes between services I'm not worried - in fact I'd be inclined to think that an engine with twice the oil change frequency via a Pela would end up less crudded than one drained conventionally half as often.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Jcoventry
Heh at first from the subject of this thread I thought you were asking about buying a car that's using lots of oil. :P
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Mchenry
I would be very dubious about using this sort of sucker in case the tube gets snagged on something in the bottom of the engine.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - perro
What I think would be a good idea - is to use this device for an interim oil change and then have the oil drained once a year.
In fact (and I'm sticking my neck out here) you could probably get away with leaving the oil filter alone as well (ON PETROL ENGINES)
...I would be very dubious about using this sort of sucker in case the tube gets snagged on something in the bottom of the engine...

Never known a dipstick to get stuck, so why worry?

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - macavity
www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

"Using oil extractors

There's another way of getting the oil out of your car's engine during an oil change - oil extractors. The typical extractor uses a vacuum mechanism either generated by you pumping a handle to build up a vacuum in the reservoir, or by a powered vacuum pump. The example on the right is a manual style. Basically you pump the handle to build up a vacuum, then poke the extractor hose into the oil and let her rip.
Extractors are a convenience item designed to eliminate the need to get your vehicle up on a ramp, or for you to crawl under it and deal with the drain plug. The only problem with an extractor is that you can never be 100% guaranteed that you get all the oil out. For it to work best, the suction hose needs to be in the lowest point of the sump pan, where the drain bolt is. The problem is that first of all, the sump isn't transparent, so you can't tell where the suction hose really is. (Remember you'll be feeding it in through dipstick tube). Second, a lot of sumps have anti-slosh baffles in them both horizontally and vertically. If you don't get the extractor pipe through one of the baffle holes, you'll be leaving the entire sump's-worth of oil in there. Third, and finally, any congealed oil, clogs or clumps of sludge will likely get stuck in the extractor hose causing a blockage. That would mean taking the hose out, cleaning out the blockage, then feeding it back in again which subjects you to the initial two problems all over again.
Oil extractors are more commonly used for getting oil out of smaller engines like lawnmowers. I've never used one in a car engine but because of the problems mentioned above, I can't imagine it would be especially efficient. Having said that, the Smart car has no sump drain so the only way to get oil out of those things in a service is to use an extractor. "

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - kiss (keep it simple)
I have the Pela and have used it a couple of times on my cars which have undertrays. The first time I used it on an A4 I waited until it had finished and then put a litre of fresh oil in to dilute the remaining old oil. I then sucked that out and it came out completely clean so I guess it must have removed pretty well all of the old stuff. I can't get the filter off my Mazda6 without taking off the undertray, so I treat the car to an oil change at 6 months and a garage service annually.
BTW it won't work with my 1.4 Polo as the tube wont go down the dipstick hole.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - steveb
Used mine now for many years on both petrol and diesel engines - 6 monthly oil changes for cars out of warranty. Never had any problems whatsoever and would recommend for users in my situation where it's virtually impossible to get access to the sump without lifting the car / removing engine undertray. Can do an oil change in 20 mins or so, including filter, without mess or inconvenience.

Very happy with mine and would recommend!

Steve
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - dereckr
I bought a Pela 6000 to use on my 2 litre HDI. It works well enough, but unfortunately on this engine, I?ve never succeeded in draining any more than about 3 litres out on an engine that holds 5. I would suspect that there is some form of obstruction or baffle in the sump. Removing the sump plug releases the rest of course.
It is still useful, in that it is much easier to carry out the remaining two litres of hot engine oil from under the car and much less likely to spill on the drive!

I would imagine that engines designed to have the oil sucked out by this method would have a dip tube that allows draining the full contents of the sump. Surely this clean and efficient method is an improvement?

I don?t get this ?It?s another example of car manufacturers pandering to the fleet buyer and extended service intervals? stuff.
Very good point about these rip off, 'manufactures.'!
Ere!!! I was just thinking ... why not just stick a PVC tropical fish tank type air pipe of suitable diameter down the dipstick hole, give the other end a suck (you can see the oil in the tube) and then aim the pipe into a drainer can which will be lower than the sump for siphon effect.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - SpamCan61 {P}
I've used the Screwfix branded version of the Pela 6000 for a couple of years now, works fine provided the oil is good and hot. My primary reason for changing was I'm always twitchy about stripping the drain plug threads in the sumps on recent Vauxhalls.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Number_Cruncher
The sludge in the sump argument is quite bogus.

If you imagine the way that fluid drains out of a sump plug, you'll quickly realise that any sludge on the sump floor will remain there - it won't be magically scoured out by the flow at all.

Those claiming great experience of removing sumps and finding sludge had obviously drained the sump first?, and they still found sludge - therefore draining oil is not any sort of panacea.

I take the view that the great convenience of using an oil sucker means that it's much more likely that a car gets its oil changes done on time - which is much more important than exactly how the oil is changed.

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - M.M
Having not thought much of these devices for years (just because I worried they may not 100% do the job) I'm going to get one soon. Both our latest cars have oil filters that can be easily changed from above so not having to get underneath at all appeals. I will see how much oil it gets out of each car and judge it fit as long as its within half a litre of the total capacity. This will just be for interim changes and the dealer can do the full drain yearly.
>>This will just be for interim changes and the dealer can do the full drain yearly.
>>
Assuming the dealer does take the sump plug out :-)
If the undertray hides the view of the sump plug then I guess it is a "getunder" to see if the retaining screws/bolts look as if they have been removed.

I am thinking that sump plug removal is another case of - Grandad always did it this way so it must be the "proper" way to do it.
Having not thought much of these devices for years (just because I worried they may
not 100% do the job) I'm going to get one soon.

The Pela 6000 is 30 quid or so + P&P from a number of ( moistly marine ) suppliers, for example:-

tinyurl.com/ycbm9lq

The badge engineered Screwfix version I use seems to have gone from their site.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - jbif
The sludge in the sump argument is quite bogus. ... Those claiming great experience ... >>

Number Cruncher - I am so glad that you are on this forum, busting the bogus claims of the bar-room motoring experts, as otherwise I think so many myths would get perpetuated here.

As for the oft quoted www.carbibles.com by macavity, it is worth noting what Chris Longhurst, the author of carbibles, says:

"...... I am just a pro-car, pro-motorbike petrolhead who is into basic maintenance. This information is the result of information-gathering, research and hands-on experience. By reading these pages, you agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Christopher J Longhurst, any sponsors and/or site providers against any and all claims, damages, costs or other expenses that arise directly or indirectly from you fiddling with your car or motorbike as a result of what you read here. In short: the advice here is worth as much as you are paying for it."

Note: bold emphasis above added by me.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Roly93
The only reason (and its not a very good one), for using an oil sucker I can see is that a lot of modern cars have awkward to remove engine under-covers like my A4.
I cannot see how a sucker can drain the old oil as thoroughly as a good flush from the drain hole.

It is yet another nasty shortcut by main dealers.
You have an oddly shaped piece of metal whizzing around at 3000 rpm + throwing oil. This develops some rather high dynamic pressures combined with a pump sucking away. If any "sludge" can stay attached to the walls and floor of the sump under these conditions, then I think it has earned the right to stay.
As you drain oil, you will notice that the oil towards the end of the process is a good deal cooler than at the start, this cooler oil is more viscous and will give an impression of being sludge laden.
As for the argument that the vacuum pumps do not get all of the oil out, anyone who has drained and stripped an engine will have noticed that as you break the engine down you will find pockets of oil trapped in all sorts of nooks and crannies. When I used to get underneath and drain the oil, for convenience I would always raise the front of the car, this in itself causes some of the sump contents to be left in the rear of the sump. Way too much trouble jacking it up, dropping it then jacking it up again. Vac pump oil changes on my Mazda used to get out 5 ltrs, pretty much the whole of the sump capacity
I am also much more disposed to doing an oil change, it is cleaner and quicker, and this has rubbed off on family members, too.

"shortcut by main dealers". Perish the thought.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Dynamic Dave
anyone who has drained and stripped an engine will have noticed that as you
break the engine down you will find pockets of oil trapped in all sorts of
nooks and crannies.

When I change the oil in the motorbike (not as often as perhaps I should), I lean it right over both sides and get approx a couple more egg cup fulls of oil out. Considering the engine only holds something like a litre of oil, those 2 egg cup fulls is quite an amount to be left inside the engine.
I'll try that with the Passat;)
...I'll try that with the Passat;)...

I wondered when the Red Adair-style solution would be mentioned.

Take off the oil filler cap, pick up the car. invert it, and shake vigorously.

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Old Navy
No problem!

www.rollerhoop.com/
hi

i tried to follow this thread closely. i'm actually more confused now.

however, i take the point that if it works well for some and not others

thank you!
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - WorkshopTech
We have a couple of pro topsiders. Ideally drain from the sump, but a modern car with modern oil and regualr servicing accumulates very little crud in the sump, so these are fine to use. Many main dealers now only use topsiders.
WT or anyone else

what is a 'topsider' please
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - mcguyver
Paul, I think WT means professional oil suction equipment, probably powered by the workshops compressed air supply.
I'm not a big fan of the suckers, I can't seem to accept that they'll get all the crud out of the sump; besides, while you're under the engine, you can check for any leaks/chafing etc.

I've got a little Pela for priming diesel engines after work on fuel systems (the Ford/PSA 1.6 needs to be primed as it's, apparently, unable to do it for itself) and for bleeding brakes.

Edited by mcguyver on 10/01/2010 at 16:29

cheers!
>>I can't seem to accept that they'll get all the crud out of the sump

Yep as I said earlier that was my thinking for a while. However with modern cars and modern oils all you get is oil with suspended contaminants... the days of finding a sump full of sand, mice, bolts, straw etc are long gone.

The only issue is if the machine gets out enough oil from your particular car... that's easily tested on 1st use.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - DP
I love the idea of not having to grovel underneath and particularly not having to manoeuvre a full pan of dirty oil out from under the car without spilling any (I always fail on this bit).

I might invest in one of these. Mind you, the Volvo's sump holds nearly 6 litres and I'm wondering how long that takes to extract through a pipe that's skinny enough to fit down the dipstick tube...
One problem with these is that many cars you need to jack the car up to access the oil filter anyway :(

I am half tempted to get one for my Corsa though, because the filter is an inline kind, you just screw off a little cap and the filter comes out. I've not done an oil change for almost a year, but the garage only charges £25 for it, for GM semi synth 10/40 so it hardly seems worth bothering doing it myself.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - oldtoffee
>>I might invest in one of these. Mind you, the Volvo's sump holds nearly 6 litres and I'm wondering how long that takes to extract through a pipe that's skinny enough to fit down the dipstick tube...

Judging on the use of mine on our 3 family cars about 4 minutes maybe 5 or 6 max with a few hand pumps and a shake half way through to maintain the flow.
> what is a 'topsider' please
>>
It is just another brand of similar manual pump but made out of Tin
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41T-mt6HvTL._SL500_...g

mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=576

a quote from this USA site Topsider Advice - Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums

Since the early '70s all Mercedes engines have been designed for vacuum oil extraction. That is the factory recommended method of oil removal. The factory method uses the dip stick tube as the extraction probe. The topsider uses a flexible tube interted into the dipstick tube and removes a little more oil than the factory method, but the difference is irrelevant since no matter what method you use, vacuum or drain, there is about qt of old oil remaining in the engine and oil cooler and extacting it is essentilly impossible (and unnecessary) even if you turn the car upside down and shake it! The throughness of the vacuum evacuation has been tested many times since the Top Sider was first introduced and if you do a proper job with the topsider (follow directions) and then when done, pull the oil pan plug - NO ADDITIONAL OIL will drain out. I've used a Top Sider for more than 5 years and it's just fine. A motorized system would be a little faster. The topsider takes 10-12 minutes to drain an 8 qt pan, about enough time to check tire pressure all around and all the fluids. The engine oil needs to be warm, but NOT hot (40-50 deg. C seems about right).

another quote re BMW 5 series
'll never change oil the old way again.

I did this in my Tacoma also then pulled the drain plug expecting to get another quart....I didn't get so much as 5 more drops. It litterally sucked the thing dry!:thumbup:
This would do the job ~ tinyurl.com/ycvqcum
I got the idea from your MB Forum :)
Topsider is what we call these oil extractors, because they extract the oil from the top of the engine I suppose. The type we use is holds about 25 litres, is on castors and run off the air line.
>>WorkshopTech
>>
How long have you been using a topsider and what other comments can you make about using one instead of a sump plug extractor.
Have you had sick engines blamed on topsiders ?
Probably been using them for 6-8 years. We had one small one, now got these larger ones on wheels.
Some cars you cant quite get all the oil out (some french cars spring to mind), but they are now the recommended procedure for Mercs and BMW.
If a car is poorly serviced or has filthy oil then a sump drain is best, but for clean engines that have been serviced I think the topsiders are OK. I worry more about longlife servicing than not quite getting all the oil out.
When we do see engine wear related to lubrication its usually down to severely worn out old oil (skipped services) and cams, oil pump drive gear etc bear the brunt of it.
Thanks for your insider update.
Thanks for your insider update.
Yes thanks for letting us know how you increase your bonus rate while you toddle off for coffee and creme buns as the top is skimmed off the old oil :-)
You are very mischievous BB - must be on the second bottle of brown ale.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - George Porge
If you don't remove the engine cover how do you check the condition of the sump (cracks / rot speed bump damage etc), crank seals etc? What about the bottom of radiators for signs of weepage? weepin pas pipes the list goes on and on.....................

Car Mechanics Magazine did a test of these pumps.
One of the comments was that the tube / hose had to be stiff enough to push down the dipstick tube and not collapse under the suction / vacuum, but still have a large enough inside diameter to allow the oil to flow.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - uksant
has anyone use this?

Yes, have used it many times for changes in between annual services on my 2003 A4 1.9tdi for the past 5 years or so. In my experience, it gets at least 3.5, perhaps almost 4 litres, of oil out but I don't know the oil capacity of the engine so don't know what percentage that is.

As other posters point out, so long as your car's engine is in decent condition then surely using this tool to change the oil even more frequently can't do any harm.

Not sure I would forego the 'traditional' method for the car's annual service, though.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - dieselfitter
Agree with uksant - I'm thnking of getting a Pela to do between-service oil changes on my A6. Extended oil changes (first one indicated at 19,000 miles) might be OK for fleet managers, but not in my book. I'm just hoping the 2.0 Tdi CR engine doesn't have a sharp bend at the bottom of the dipstick tube, which would mean the Pela won't work. If anyone has used an oil sucker on this engine, I'd be glad to hear about it.
uksant, I'm a little worried that you have done 'many' services on your A4 without knowing the oil capacity; must be time consuming to keep adding a little more oil and waiting for it to settle, then check and add a little more.....
Much better to find out the capacity from your handbook, main dealer, Halfords etc. Add about 0.5 litres less than the capacity, start up to fill the filter then stop, and top up as necessary.
In my experience, using the hot engine and sump plug removal method, I drain off around 0.3 litre less than the capacity.
I've not done a 1.9tdi for a while, but I think it held a lot more than 4 litres of oil, closer to 6 litres.
I should say that my method relies on removing the sump plug, thus ensuring all the old oil is removed, or at the least measuring what the oil sucker has extracted and comparing it with the listed capacity.
uksant I'm a little worried that you have done 'many' services on your A4 without
knowing the oil capacity; must be time consuming to keep adding a little more oil
and waiting for it to settle then check and add a little more.....

Hello Mcguyver - not sure I follow your logic. I get the A4 serviced professionally every year. In between, probably every 5,000 miles, I extract almost 4 litres of oil using the 'sucker' and then I put in about 3.5 litres of new oil, let it settle and then, yes, I do add small amounts, letting each settle, until the dipstick reads correctly. I suppose I really ought to change the filter at the same time, but since I only do about 12,000 miles per year in it anyway I don't bother.
Hi, uksant. I'm not having a go at your efforts, if anything it's admirable. Most punters don't even check the oil between services, never mind changing it.

It was just that, with you saying you don't know the capacity, I was picturing you adding 0.25 litre at a time from empty until the dipstick read max.

There's nothing wrong with the method you mention above.

To get back on topic, as you say that you extract around 4 litres from your sump, and you say further down the thread that the listed capacity is 4.3 litres, you are getting as much old oil out as I usually do with the sump plug removed.
...Tyou say that you extract around 4 litres from your sump...the listed capacity is 4.3 litres, you are getting as much old oil out as I usually do with the sump plug removed...

Given there will be half a pint in the filter, uksant's sucker is doing as good a job as it is possible to do.

Not quite, ifithelps.

uksant's 'almost 4 litres' includes an allowance of 0.3 litre for the filter.

Edited by mcguyver on 11/01/2010 at 18:01

...uksant's 'almost 4 litres' includes an allowance of 0.3 litre for the filter...

mcguyver,

Not sure how you work that out since he says 'almost four litres' comes out leaving the filter in place.

Either way, the point is made about the sucker doing a good job.
The 4 litres including the filter is mentioned in uksant's message further down the post, the same one I obtained the total capacity figure of 4.3 litres from.

As you say, uksant's sucker is extracting a fair amount of old oil.
www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203129/flu...l

{No direct links to a competitors website please}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/01/2010 at 12:51

www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/203129/flu...l

Yep, that's the Screwfix one I've got,which appears to be a Pela 6000 in all but name.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/01/2010 at 12:50

Just called by Machine Mart and bought the Pela 6000. Had a look in the box and it all looks good. Will do a change on the C3 by the weekend and report back.
One thing, on my Vectra then I have to rotate & wiggle the tube as I stick it down the dipstick 'ole or it doesn't reach the near the bottom of the sump, maybe similar on other cars.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - old crocks
Thanks M.M. This thread has got me interested in one so I look forward to your report.

Has anyone used one on a Focus I 1800 Petrol and know if there are any obstructions to prevent 100% of the oil being removed?
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - freddy1
>Has anyone used one on a Focus I 1800 Petrol and know if there are any obstructions to prevent 100% of the oil being removed?<

the dipstick is a long bit of metal , running down into the sump , if it gets wet with oil , then oil is there , therefore a bit of plastic/rubber tube placed in its place , would have oil on it ,,,,suck suck , oil gone
>>suck suck , oil gone

Yes, it has gone down to the bottom of the dipstick level. But what if below that there is a horizontal baffle stopping the pipe getting right down to the bottom of the sump?
BTW thanks to SpamCan for giving the link (much further up the thread) to a marine supplier with these at about £36 inc carriage. I happened to be passing Machine Mart and impulse bought at £44 as staying in for deliveries is a nightmare for me.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - freddy1
>>>suck suck , oil gone

Yes, it has gone down to the bottom of the dipstick level. But what if below that there is a horizontal baffle stopping the pipe getting right down to the bottom of the sump?<

um ? , the dip stick says empty and full , and goes to the BOTTOM of the sump , try a wielding rod down the hole , listen for noises on the sump when you tap it.

whats the point of a dipstick , that only goes halfway
um ? the dip stick says empty and full and goes to the BOTTOM of
the sump try a wielding rod down the hole listen for noises on the sump
when you tap it.

Erm no it does'nt, it says min and max

whats the point of a dipstick that only goes halfway

Why does it need to touch the bottom of the sump?
>>>
um ? the dip stick says empty and full and goes to the BOTTOM of
the sump try a wielding rod down the hole listen for noises on the sump
when you tap it.
whats the point of a dipstick that only goes halfway

>>
Eh? I'm not a mechanic but dipsticks tell you whether there is insufficient oil or too much oil in the sump, not if the sump is empty or full. Dipsticks are designed to reach just below the ideal oil level I think, or have I got that wrong all these years!? Not sure what the typical distance between the bottom of an inserted dipstick and the bottom of the sump is, but surely it's the about the height of the oil once it's all drained in to the sump?
>>Dipsticks are designed to reach just below the ideal oil level I think, or have I got that wrong all these years!?

No, quite right. I posted a couple of weeks ago that I pulled the dipstick on my daughter's friends's Fiesta, and it was bone dry. Obviously, this does NOT mean there is no oil left in the sump! Judging by the amount added to bring it back up to the mark, it was actually about half full.

Edited by dieselfitter on 11/01/2010 at 15:24

You're right, uksant. The min mark on the dipstick is, as the name suggests, the minimum level of oil that the engine can run on without damage. That level may be 30mm from the bottom of the sump.
SCs link is showing £30.64 +£6.99carriage = £37.63 A better price than ebay!

The Screwfix one is £41.99 +carriage. However as I am on their emailing list they are sending me a 10% off discount code every few days, as long as I spend £50.Carriage free. So that's £37.79 as long as I want some other items.
I'm sure I paid about £25 from a marine supplies retailer (on line) for the 6 litre capacity one, but that was about 5 years ago.
the dipstick is a long bit of metal running down into the sump if it
gets wet with oil then oil is there therefore a bit of plastic/rubber tube placed
in its place would have oil on it suck suck oil gone

Firstly dipsticks do not go to the bottom of the sump and many of them are shaped flat thin metal or wire meaning a suction tube will not be able to follow the path of the dipstick and find its way to the oil.
Hi

a poster has already stated here that he used one of these suckers and then took out the drain plug. the result was just a few drops of oil.

it would be good is some mechanic here used the suckers in a couple of different models and then removed the oil drain plug and posted results.

I'm no mechanic but i'm assuming that the sump trays drain away to the sump oil drain plug. therefore the tube of the sucker needs to get there.
Audi A4 2003 1.9 tdi - the Comma website states oil capacity as 4.3 litres. On average, I manage to extract say 3.7 litres. On the basis that the filter is still holding some oil (say 0.3 litres?) then I'm getting at least 90% - 95% out. Also need to bear in mind that there must be some oil in other nooks and crannies, then (in this model anyway) the hose must be reaching the bottom of the sump (it does always seem to go in quite a way).
Sorry, uksant, my mistake. The last tdi I did was the pumpe duse engine, which would be higher capacity for the unit injectors.
Pela say that the probe should be inserted until you hear it hit the bottom of the sump. They also say that the extractor is unsuitable for engines with a sharp bend at the bottom of the dipstick tube, in which case the probe can't reach the sump at all. Unfortunately, we don't have a list of engines with this feature.
That's a good point, dieselfitter. When you remove the sump plug, you know that the sump is going to be emptied. If a DIY mechanic has not read the instructions before using the extractor (who does?), he may not insert the pipe to the bottom of the sump.
This thread should win an award for comedy.

People who clearly know nothing about dipsticks, sumps, oil levels giving advice to others.

This week we'll try an oil change 2L out 5L in, next week they'll be doing blood transfusions on the back of this experience.

10/10 for entertainment, keep it up
Some interesting points from SteveLee & dieselfitter, and on that basis I wouldn't use a sucker on my Almera, until I was sure that my dipsick wasn't curved at the end or that it was wide enough at the bottom to allow the sucker to go 'all the way man'
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - oilrag
It could be the `last straw` of course for a rusty sump - if the nylon pipe pokes straight through the bottom and starts sucking up the puddle on the drive.
Powerful suction can remove the high quality zinc off the more expensive sump interiors - (allegedly Ford) leaving bare sucker marks like when one of those small catfish moves across your fish tank.
Not good when the Manufacturer has invested all that money into the`sump nut`
Powerful suction can remove the high quality zinc off the more expensive sump interiors. <<

This is a joke, aye ?

Regarding not removing "every drop of old oil" - no method manages this.

The most important function of oil changes with modern spec oils is renewing the 'additive pack' of the oil, so simply removing >50% of the oil every 10,000 miles rather than 90% of the oil every 20,000 miles is probably preferable. Synthetic oils are very resistant to physical deterioration of the oil itself, compared to the additive packs.

When you take your automatic gearbox for an 'oil change' you'll be lucky if 35% of the fluid is changed if the dealer simply drains/refills the gearbox as most torque converters hold a large part of the ATF.
the`sump nut`

From what I read the`sump nut` is a dying breed. :-)
>>People who clearly know nothing about dipsticks, sumps, oil levels giving advice to others

Not sure who that's aimed at.

Speaking for myself I responded to the question as somebody who actually uses a sucker.

On the Honda 2.2 i-CTDI in the CRV II, the 6 litre Pela is nearly full when it starts sucking air. As the nominal oil capacity of the engine is 6 litres, I'm happy with that.

I agree that many people want to give an opinion on every question, whether they actually know the answer or not. I try to resist that; when I can't, I usually make it clear that I'm speculating or repeating hearsay.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - guss
I measure what comes out via my pela pump and its the same as the amount of new oil i put in ,i also put the suction tube into the oil filter housing there is usually some old oil left there . Well worth the price for between service oil changes . i paid £29 +postage v happy with it. Think marine shops/chandlers are cheapest as pumps are widely used or boat engines.see

www.marine-super-store.com/posit/shop/index.php?se...1

Edited by guss on 11/01/2010 at 23:52

Not sure who that's aimed at.
>

Its aimed at some of the farcical posts here.

I'd also like an answer to the above question which has been ignored by the pros, copied below

"If you don't remove the engine cover how do you check the condition of the sump (cracks / rot speed bump damage etc), crank seals etc? What about the bottom of radiators for signs of weepage? weeping pas pipes the list goes on and on....................."

If I pay for an annual service / inspection I'd expect a report of any possible problems that are pending, if you don't remove the engine lower cover how can you inspect everything for leaks? If the answer is that the under tray is removed then you may as well undo the drain plug...............
OK, answer to the above.
On a lot of cars you dont need to remove the undertray to remove the sump plug, so using a topsider doesnt really make that difference. Sometimes you have to remove undertray to get at the filter. Manufacturers are generally working toward use of topsiders by their dealers and having filter access from above.
As part of service checklist there will be a 'car on ramps' section and relevant parts can usually be inspected, from above and below, without removal of undertray. Inspection of base of radiator is not normally part of a service.
>>If you don't remove the engine cover how do you check the condition of ...

Fair question, to which you could add how can you call it a service if you don't take the wheels off? Less "inspecting" and a bit more servicing would be my preference.

One of the several reasons I use an independent friend for servicing is that a service includes removing the wheels, and ensuring the brake calipers are free.

Contrast that with the reader's report in HJ this weekend that he was charged £28 for separating his alloy wheels from the hubs by his Skoda dealer - a charge for previous negligent servicing in my opinion.

Incidentally, the CRV has a little trap door for access to the drain plug - thankfully the tray doesn't have to come off so doesn't end up flapping about as the fixings go missing!
I mentioned this, Dox, earlier in the thread as a downside to the oil suckers.

The fact is that they can't thoroughly check for leaks etc. on the areas you highlight without taking off the engine tray. While it could be argued that you can see some areas from the top or through the cut outs in the tray, there's a lot you can't, especially considering how crowded the engine bay is on modern cars.

The oil suckers are about saving the fitter time. For example, the amount of time VAG allow for a 'lubrication service', could easily be swallowed up by removing/refitting an awkward (or worse, damaged) engine tray. In fact, most fitters leave a damaged tray off; the last three cars I've worked on had fittings for but no tray.

However, even without having to remove a tray, the sucker saves time: not having to get the car on the lift (if it's just in for the oil change), no (possibly rounded off) sump plug to remove/refit etc. etc.

You're quite right to expect, on a full service, that the engine bay and other areas are inspected for any present or pending problems. Even when just doing an oil change, while I'm underneath, I always shine my lamp around, just takes a minute or so, to check for problems.
Why does engine oil cost more per litre than diesel, when diesel price is mostly tax?

There was a letter in Diesel Car magazine, Feb 2005, issue 203. (www.dieselcar.com)

" Myself and two other motoring enthusiasts got together to find a cheaper way of getting quality oil at a better price. We each agreed to accept a 20 litre container and, armed with an order for our 60 litres. I went to a local oil distributor to get a price for some fully synthetic oil in this case Total Quartz 9000 5w/40. In January 2004 I was quoted £1.45 per litre including vat. When we eventually went to order in October we had expected a price rise - what with the escalating cost of crude oil. We were then quoted £1.20 per litre, plus vat and I could barely believe it! I was told that it was because the order was placed at the beginning of the month! That worked out at £7.05 for 5 litres, delivered to my front door. Apparently we were classed as "bulk-buyers"."
The retailing of oil is highly profitable, very big mark-ups. We buy quite a lot of VW507 spec oil and pay about £3 a litre in volume. We tend to use Exol Lubricants, biggest UK independent oil co. in birmingham, top quality stuff.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - adam f
I have one of these but mine is the Sealey TP69. (cost me £49 for tooled-up.com)

I have actually used mine this weekend to do a service on a 2001 Focus. For me it is fantastic. I was at first sceptical of these and spoke to some people about them. People are either really for them or they hate them - no inbetween.

I had the oil and filter changed in 10 mins. I did not have to jack the car up and get under it and get wet and muddy. I would highly recommend one.

(also i heard on the grapevine that a lot of garages and dealers use these now)
I have actually used mine this weekend to do a service on a 2001 Focus.
For me it is fantastic. I was at first sceptical of these and spoke to
some people about them. People are either really for them or they hate them -
no inbetween.
I had the oil and filter changed in 10 mins. I did not have to
jack the car up and get under it and get wet and muddy. I would
highly recommend one.

You've not done a service at all, you've done an oil and filter change.

Yes i have done a service - I just didnt tell you every thing I done on it as this discussion was regarding "oil suckers"
Yes i have done a service - I just didnt tell you every thing I
done on it as this discussion was regarding "oil suckers"

So did you jack the car up or not?
So did you jack the car up or not?

Tee hee - I can see where this is going! :-)
Only 4 days until I try my new vac extractor on the C3. Now nervous my promised report on it may give clues to a less than "by the book" job. I'll read it through with care before posting!

I may have sounded "anti-sucker" above, I'm not they do a perfectly good job, IMHO for interim oil changes, I have one myself but always do a "proper" change with the normal service interval. although with my current car I don't use the sucker for two reasons. 1) it doesn't fit as my dipstick is the bend round corners type and 2) even if it did fit, the suspension set on high gives me enough space to do an oil change without the need for a jack anyway!
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Rob81
A oelopnumatic Citroen, I assume? If so, I hope you're supporting it on axle stands as well when you reach for the sump plug....
Yep, I always keep one axle stand in the boot for wheel changing duties.
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Rob81
Fatastic! Ishould have knwn but never like to miss a "don't get crushed by your Citroen" message!
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - piggy
These very handy little pumps need not be restricted to removing oil.They can also be handy for removing a litre or so of anti-freeze. I used mine recently to enable me to put some fresh concentrate in the radiators of our cars.This could have saved us a few bob,given the extra cold weather recently. I also use it for "in between" oil changes.I leave the filter in place until "full" servicing time,keeping fingers crossed that the garage changes it,and not simply wipe it with a cloth.
I suppose it could come in handy for other things as well.
Dox
What does jacking up the car matter? Do i have to jack the car up to service it?
Dox
What does jacking up the car matter? Do i have to jack the car up
to service it?

How do you check the brakes etc if you don't jack the car up?
£30 for a sucker, could be worth it for an interim oil change.

What is the best way to legally dispose of the waste oil?
>>> What is the best way to legally dispose of the waste oil? <<<

www.oilbankline.org.uk/
...www.oilbankline.org.uk...

perro,

Thanks for the link - it works a treat.

Turns out my nearest disposal point is my local tip, I mean recycling centre.

The moral of the story being never dismiss the obvious.

>>> Thanks for the link - it works a treat. <<<

Cheers ifithelps - I found my nearest disposal point is a tyre depot just down the road :)
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - TheOilBurner
How do you check the brakes etc if you don't jack the car up?

Someone ought to ask the main dealers that question too... ;)
>>How do you check the brakes etc if you don't jack the car up?

Well i know that the brakes are fine already. I service my car how i want. I am not interested in doing every niggly bit that would be on a main dealers service schedule. I carry out weekly checks on fluid / tyre pressures etc so i know that the car is alright.
I can understand that in some circles taking the wheels off to check the brakes is part of there service but on this service, i have just done, it was not for me.
Anyway taking a wheel off to check the brakes still would not make me get underneath the vehicle to remove the sump plug and drain the oil that way - Thats what i have my oil extractor for!

The oil extractor for me is perfect and i will use it every time i do a oil and filter change. Its not every ones cup of tea - but not everything in life is.
>
Well i know that the brakes are fine already. I service my car how i
want. I am not interested in doing every niggly bit that would be on a
main dealers service schedule.

So like I said in the first instance, you've done an oil and filter change NOT a service!

"I am not interested in doing every niggly bit " This is brakes we're talkng about yes?

Brakes have got a light on the dash when they need servicing;)
And make an annoying grinding noise.
That's what Metallica is for.
Or make no noise at all when the bulging brake hoses burst
There's a light for that, too.
Dox,

Give it a rest will you. I have serviced my car - i did not just replace the oil and filter!

My brakes are fine!

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - BigJohnD
The answer is it all depends.

If you have a 1.6.HDi DV6 Turbo - which is found in Citroëns, Peugeots, Fords, Mazdas, Minis and other marques - the answer is you definitely don't use it. The oil must be allowed to drain out thoroughly. Not doing so can (and has) lead to premature turbo failure.

See this tech doc from Citroën: bigjohnd.org.uk/CCC/OilChange-DV6.pdf

Edited by BigJohnD on 14/01/2010 at 13:53

That's interesting as I have just started running a new C5 with this engine. I'd noticed that they have pushed the oil change out to 20k on other engines but this one was kept to 12.5k. They obviously think this engine needs all possible help from its oil.

Not sure I can see what they're getting at with not mixing small amounts of remaining old oil with new. Does this mean you can't top up these engines?

Good link though, I've printed it out.

Edited by M.M on 14/01/2010 at 14:51

The turbos are clearly sensitive to muck in the oil, and when you read the Tech Doc, all Citroën are really saying is make a very thorough job of changing the oil and do it right on schedule (12.5K miles or 20K Km)

Some dealers are offering an additional flush, which is probably not absolutely necessary, but will do no harm. Typical price, an extra £15-20.

There must have been too many warranty claims for failed turbos, with muck in the oil as a causal or contributory factor.

There's considerable discussion about this in Forums for Citroën owners.

RE: adding oil - in reality, engine uses very little oil, maybe 100ml between services, but it does go black very quickly.

The 1.6HDi is quite a remarkable engine - masses of torque and economical.
My 4 year old C4 has been all but faultless, and is now coming up to its 75000 mile service (120,000Km). And we'll be off to the South of France in it again this summer!

Edited by BigJohnD on 14/01/2010 at 15:39

Interesting extra info thanks. I think, as you mention, they must have suffered some turbo failures and they're setting up tough conditions to undermine possible claims putting the blame onto the oil change.

I bet it is more likely this relates to skipped changes or garages not changing oil/filters when they were paid to do so.

I really struggle to believe how say a very small quantity of old oil will somehow combine with the new to make a sinister brew.

No I don't expect the engine to use oil but was just making the point topping up would mix old & new.

Are you referring to the c4 forum?

Edited by M.M on 14/01/2010 at 16:22

Are you referring to the c4 forum?

Yes, C4Owners.org, and the CCC.

Pela 6000 Oil Changer - M.M
As mentioned above I bought the Pela 6000 from Machine Mart for £44... not the cheapest place but easy for me. Used it today for the first time to change the oil on our C3 1.4 HDi.

The probe easily fitted down the dipstick tube and fell to a position about 1" deeper than the dipstick. With gentle pressure it went another 1.5" in.

The total oil capacity is shown as 3.8lit in the handbook and on the Pela's tank graduations it showed to have removed all of it after sucking out the small amount left in the filter housing.... the level was just a few mm off the 4lit mark.

It took about 20mins with warm oil and I did an extra 10 pumps to top up the vacuum half way through.

Amazingly clean way to do the job and useful to have old oil in the Pela afterwards if you haven't immediately a spare 5l container to hand for the run to the tip.... better than having the oil swishing about in a conventional drain pan. In 30yrs I've stood in one once and driven over them twice..... messy.

So overall a great way to do our interim 6k changes.
Pela 6000 Oil Changer - old crocks
Thanks for the report M.M.
I feel an order to Screwfix coming on.
Or should I wait for Lidl to offer them? :-)
Pela 6000 Oil Changer - Manatee
>>So overall a great way to do our interim 6k changes.

You poor misguided soul - you'll only have yourself to blame when the sump falls off, the brake hoses burst, your radiator springs a leak, your hair falls out and your Yorkshire puddings don't rise.
Pela 6000 Oil Changer - M.M
Hmmm I know. I did balance things out by taking all the wheels off too though.

As expected on a 3yr old dealer serviced/supplied car one wheel was nearly corroded on and the other three rattle gun tight!
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - Surrey_Scientist
I have one of these it is EXCELLENT

I have proved it removes more oil and sludge than conventional drain-plug emptying .

I have drained the oil with the drain plug, until it stops draining then inserted the PELA down the dipstick tube, and it usually manages to suck up another 250ml at least of oil that is usualy filled with sludge.

I have noticed drain-plugs are often a few mm off the bottom of the sump-pan - there is often a little lip..

It is also useful if the drain-plug is not very accessible - eg auto-transmissions I ahve found it useful for, where again it removes far more sludge from the sump-bottom than using the drain plug

I would say 5*

This Oil Sucker Any Good? - volcane

What model of car was this on?
This Oil Sucker Any Good? - k9dan
Bought one last year for the Panda, left about a litre in the sump, so next time I'm going to give it a wiggle on the way in. placed the missed oil in the Pela, and marked it on the side of the pela with a marker so I know if it's all out, next time Very easy to use bought mainly for my Octavia which has a huge undertray and a zillion fasteners. What no one has mentioned is that this makes it so easy to
take the old oil to the recycling centre to dispose, as it's already in the unit which comes with a top to stop it coming out.