05 2.2 Misfueled with 3.4 litres of petrol - lovehandles
Hello Everybody

This evening I misfueled my Mondy diesel - I added 3.4 litres of unleaded in error !

A couple of technicians from a Mercedese garage next door thought that it would be ok if I brimed the tank with diesel.

I therefore took their advice and used BP Ultimate Diesel and added half a bottle of Millers (thinking I needed as much lubricant as possible).

Have driven the car 8 miles back to my house without any ill effects.

Can you please advise if I should take it to my local Ford garage to drain the tank ?

The AA's website says that adding less than 10 % of petrol should be ok providing you fill up with diesel before starting the engine - I calculate that 3.4 litres is 5.8 % !

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/01/2010 at 00:16

05 2.2 Misfueled this evening with 3.4 litres of p - gordonbennet
I can't tell you in an official way Matt, but i would have done exactly the same as you with the amount of petrol involved.

I'd also top up with Diesel again when you get down to 2/3rds full or so.
05 2.2 Misfueled this evening with 3.4 litres of p - Robin the Technician
You will not do any damage with this small amount of petrol. Assuming you were filling up from a near empty tank and you've brimmed it with diesel once you spotted your error, you should not have any problems. My son put £15 worth of petrol in his Mazda, but realised his error and filled it to the brim with diesel. He's had no problems. I suggest you top it up as soon as it gets to 3/4 full will serve to dilute the petrol.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
05 2.2 Misfueled this evening with 3.4 litres of p - Peter D
How much diesel did you top up with. The % you quote will not cause a problem but top up every 75 miles or so to be sure. Regards Peter
05 2.2 Misfueled with 3.4 litres of petrol - carnut1980
hi, i have put £20 of petrol into half a tank of diesel on my mk3 tdci, i added another £10 of diesel, had no probs, if anything the car seemed faster
05 2.2 Misfueled with 3.4 litres of petrol - Simon
Almost certainly it will be 100% fine. I wouldn't worry yourself about it.