furniture removal (italy) - zookeeper
my swmbo has a problem, she wants to recover some furniture items from rome in italy
a transit would fit the bill size wise... my idea is to go over on squeezy jet buy a cheap van
in italy and drive back to blighty via the ferry in holland ( we plan to visit a reletive at uni in amsterdam) but she was saying that when you buy a vehicle in italy there is a tax on the change of owner ship.....the other idea is to hire a van here in the uk but i think it may be a bit expensive fuel wise doing the round trip....any help or ideas would be welcome , thanks zoo
furniture removal (italy) - Pugugly
Buy a van - something suitably retro Italian - Remember the Journey is as important as the arrival - you should get some fun as well...
Second thoughts - just checked out E-Bay in Italy, wow ! Expensive.......buy a LHD FIAT over here for no money, drive it out and flog it there - you'll be quids in, cover your costs.
www.autosupermarket.it/Fiat-Ducato_CarCard_100_298...l

Bianco Pastello sounds better than "white" though. What's Italian for White Van Man.

Edited by Pugugly on 06/01/2010 at 12:49

furniture removal (italy) - cheddar
>>What's Italian for White Van Man.

Van Uomo bianco
furniture removal (italy) - rtj70
PU, he's bringing the furniture from Rome to the UK no the other way around though.

What sort of furniture? And is it worth the cost and hassle?
furniture removal (italy) - Big Bad Dave
"buy a LHD FIAT over here for no money, drive it out and flog it there -"

Good plan with just one tiny flaw - how do they get the furniture back to blighty...?
Buy a van of course ! :-)
furniture removal (italy) - Gromit {P}
Check out the cost of getting a UK haulier to bring the stuff back groupage, i.e. they'll bring one or two items at a time when there's space spare on a truck.

The rates are low enough that it might be easier and cheaper than doing the job yourself by the time you pay taxes, insurance, fuel and ferry/plane tickets.
furniture removal (italy) - Alby Back
I think I'd ship it zookeeper. Buying second hand vehicles in Italy is expensive and complicated. It might still work if you obtain, by whatever means, a van here and do the round trip but I'd be inclined to fly both ways and have it transported by a third party.
furniture removal (italy) - Big Bad Dave
I seem to remember being quoted a pound per kilogram to ship my bits n bobs to Warsaw. Eventually though we made a deal on the side with a Polish truck driver who dropped off at my place in Warsaw before going to his depot.
furniture removal (italy) - bathtub tom
Lots of Italians in Bedford. Perhaps an enquiry here:

tinyurl.com/yal9ug3
furniture removal (italy) - Alby Back
Might get a Bedford van then ? Bella !
furniture removal (italy) - PR {P}
It will be cheaper to get it shipped over but less fun! Cars are expensive in Italy especially second hand ones (just been trying to get one for the house over there!). Best bet would be to hire a van as small as possible to fit the stuff in. Rome is around 1000 miles from Calais, and there are tolls to pay, though these can be avoided if you are in no hurry. Why not make a bit of a holiday out of it? Diesel prices over there are around e1.10 at the moment

www.autostrade.it/autostrade/servizi.do
furniture removal (italy) - zookeeper
thanks for the replies, time is not an issue for the trip ...the items we are going to remove are mainly furniture, a large bed , some oil paintings and small personal effects and hier looms from the recently departed, the misses has family in rome so staying over isnt a problem....thanks again all zoo
furniture removal (italy) - Brit_in_Germany
My advice would be to get in touch with UK removal companies who specialize in European removals - if there is no time pressure, wait until they have a job to Italy and they can bring your furniture back rather than drive an empty truck. Should be cost effective.

BIG