Supermarket petrol, is it rubbish? [Read Only] - Jcoventry
I have heard a great many folk who stay far away from supermarket petrol because they believe it is nowhere near as good as Shell or BP, etc. What do you guys think? Would I get better MPG with non-supermarket fuel?

I've had my car from new and 99% of the time it gets filled up at Sainsbury's or Morrisons. On my car the filler cap has BP branding on it, and on my friend's Rover 45 there is some Shell branding somewhere in the engine bay. But I've never taken notice of that sort of thing, I actually find it humorous because to me it just seems like the petrol companies paying the car manufacturers to get their logo in as many places as possible.

Edited by rtj70 on 03/01/2010 at 17:58

Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - Jcoventry
Apologies, ignore this thread. I have taken the liberty of using the forum search and have found dozens of threads covering the same topic. Sorry!
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - Old Navy
All fuel sold in the UK has to meet the official specification, cars are made to run on that spec. If some people choose to pay more for "better" fuel that is up to them. I have used supermarket diesel for about 20 years without problems, why pay more?
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - Rattle
All fuel has slightly differrent properties and the ECU adjusts valve timing etc to componsate for this. I think sticking to the same brand matters more than if its supermarket or not, the problem is you never know what you're getting but its all fine. I use Shell or Esso but mostly shell, the nearest supermarket fuel is ASDA and its a bit too far to make it worth while, its only 1p cheaper anyway if that.

I tried using the expensive stuff to stop my car pinking, it helped a bit but I soon learnt that to drive a small 16v engine you need to rev it slightly higher. I had been used to lazy 8v push rod engines.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - shara
All fuel has to meet strict specifications so the quality of supermarket fuel will be of a good standard. Also BP, Shell, Asda fuel, etc. will all come from the same sources-the difference being the additives that Shell or BP fuel put into their own products. I have no doubt that fuels such as Shell V power and BP ultimate do have extra additives but whether you think it is worth paying extra is another matter. I know plenty of people who will put in supermarket fuel and add in redex or some other sort of additive afterwards-so why not just put in branded fuel in the first instance?

In my own personal experience I have found that regular BP unleaded gives me about 5-7% extra mpg in my 02 1.6 Clio. I also have a diesel focus and have been using mainly bp ultimate in that-On the occasions that I have put in supermarket fuel I have to say that I have not noticed much of a difference in performance, noise, smoke etc. However some of the benefits of so called super fuels such as cleaner injectors, less carbon build up etc. is not as visible but that does not mean it is not working.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - gordonbennet
BP Diesel ultimate smells different to run of the mill fuels, you get the identical smell if you put Millers additive in the tank.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - corax
So does the petrol version GB, smells sweeter, with a light flowery bouquet, and a hint of pearl drops!

Seriously though, it contains additives that help clean the injectors. But its only worth it on a performance engine that alters its timing map to suit, or if you're constantly only doing short journeys that gum the injectors up. But then I suppose you could run an injector cleaner through it every now and then.
...or if you're constantly
only doing short journeys that gum the injectors up. But then I suppose you could
run an injector cleaner through it every now and then.

Well now, this is interesting. I only do short journeys, and lots of them too. Usually less than 10 miles, usually 10-20 minutes of driving. The only time I do long journeys is for summer trips or visiting my dad who lives 2 hours drive away.
I only do short journeys, and lots of them too.

It sounds like your engine could do with a clean. If you're only doing short journeys, the injectors will be dirty. Also, if the engine doesn't get to its full operating temperature and turned off, there will be condensation inside the engine which will make the oil more acidic and less able to do its job, it will also get dirty more quickly as the combustion by- products won't have had time to burn off. Its much better to give a car some long runs, or if you're unable to do that, change the oil more regularly.

A have a car mechanics magazine that ran an article on BP Ultimate. I can't remember who it was, but they set up an Audi engine to run 1000 miles on one bank of cylinders on normal fuel, and the other half on BP Ultimate. Well, if the pictures were accurate, the difference was amazing. The side on BP Ultimate was spotless, it looked like the inside of a new engine, and the other halves intake valves were covered in deposits, and this is only after 1000 miles. The report might be on the web somewhere.
I don't think it will be that dirty. My car uses Ford's semi synthetic 5W-30 oil, so I don't think more regular changes would do a whole lot. I've done just over 6,100 miles since June 2008. Oil and filter were changed at 3108 miles last year at 1st service.

But yes, maybe its an idea to start using something like Redex Petrol Injector Cleaner?

Edited by Jcoventry on 03/01/2010 at 15:27

Here it is,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PEBzuOkL9A

Couldn't find an English version!
It is interesting but I can't help but think...well, it's a car with BP Ultimate written all over it - surely they're not going to make BP Ultimate look bad are they? :P
True, we'll never know the exact truth, but my car runs better on it, thats for certain.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - Falkirk Bairn
Shell or BP @1p more than supermarket fuel - the 40-50p extra at a fill up is worth it. Car is smoother, less smoke from the diesel...
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - bintang
HJ used to recommend Shell, I think on account of superior detergent properties.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - boggles
It's true to say that some supermarket fuels were poor, compared to the big oil companies. The fuels were often raw petrol with few if any additives, for engine cleanliness etc.
This lead to problems for some vehicles, that were fueled regularly at these outlets. After representation from the OEM's, which would have included handbook entries to specifically not recommend their fuels, the supermarkets jointly agreed to specify better additive packages from the suppliers. So, for at least the last decade, supermarket fuel has been as good, or nearly so as your Shell, Esso, Texaco etc.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - b308
Some engines seem more sensitive than others, I can't speak for petrol, but I've always found that I get better mpg out of Shell than Tescos for instance... As they tend to be the same price (except when you have a 5p/l off Tesco voucher) I tend to buy Shell in the main... On the odd time I've had to buy the high priced Shell stuff I haven't noticed any difference.
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - b308
(should have read Shell and Tesco 'diesel' by the way, HJ site hanging on me again prevented me getting back in to edit, sorry!)
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - guygamps
The question is made on the assumption that it is cheaper to fill up at the supermarkets, hence the question is it worht the saving if the product is inferior. I have 2 observations

1, I use petrolprices.com to check pricing in my area, and almost universally, nearly every week, the cheapest is a large Shelll garage close to my home, the garage is in Chiswell Green, just off M25 j21A, 103.9 for unleaded at last fill up a few days back. Morrisons and Sainsburys both near me, are ALWAYS more expensive so why even ask the question if you believe (which I do not) that their product is inferior. I realise that in each locality this may not be the case.

2. As mentioned, I beleive the product is same. the supermarkets do not themselves drill for oil, and importantly do not themselves refine oil in to petrol and other products. Effectively they buy the finished product on the open market and distribute it, for all I know they may even buy from other distributors. Considering the massive engineering investment made by the oil companies in refineries, I don't think it is practical to consider that they refine an inferior product for the supermarkets than they do for the oil companies own branded forecourts.

this is my belief when comparing standard unleaded product. "super unleaded" may be a different kettle of fish, since this is where the oil companies are claiming a superior performance and charging for it too.

Guy
Supermarket petrol, is it really rubbish? - rtj70
As the OP has found all of the old threads with a search, we may as well lock this thread then.

Rob