99 2.0 Wrapping noise at idle - Ducati man
Hi all,

I've had my Xsara 2.0 HDI for nearly six years with no major issues, the problems all started with a wrapping noise at idle so I renewed the crank pulley and alternator belt and tensioner, this wrapping noise is still there due to the belt tensioner vibrating back and forth, take it off idle and the tensioner stays steady and the noise stops.

Also start up from cold the idle is very uneven for the first two or three minutes but becomes fairly smooth once the engine temp comes up. But when driven you can still here this wrapping noise at lower rpm.
There is no light on the dash to say there are any faults with the management system.
Any body got nay ideas where to look?.

Steve.
99 2.0 Wrapping noise at idle - Ducati man
Hi all,

This is my own reply to this posting as I have found both problems, the wrapping noise at idle turns out to be the alternator pulley, it has a clutch arrangement inside the pulley and when these seize up it makes the belt adjuster oscillate.
If the problem is more of a knocking sound it will be the crank pulley which I have also replaced this had gone too.

Regarding the uneven idle when cold, turned out to be the heater plugs, all four of mine were open circuit.

All quiet now and back to normal, for the time being. Hope these answers will help people in the future.

Regards to all

Steve.