Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - teabelly
I had the aircon on demist for several hours yesterday and I am now wondering whether the aircon has some nasties in it as i've had muscle aches and felt rather off. Made the mistake of checking the symptoms of legionnaires too :-)

Do the cleaning kits you get from halfords etc do a good job of removing any nasties? I use the Econ setting (uses the evaporator) a lot and use the demist but usually it is at the start of the journey rather than when the engine is hot. If I keep doing the same regime how often would I need to use the cleaning kits to make sure the aircon is safe?
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - bell boy
Ive always been able to smell a mustiness if an aircon system isnt up to scratch so im thinking your is ok
It might be worth checking that as you had it on for a few hours you arent pulling fumes from the engine due to some kind of leak from the engine/radiator /exhaust as this too would cause your symptoms
It did smell funny a while ago but stopped when I used it more. It did smell chalky if you switch from Econ (dryer) to Auto (normal air). Will check out pipework. It does have recirculation mode so I could try using that and seeing if I get the same problem which would exclude fume related issues theoretically.
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - ifithelps
Try running the aircon for a while on blower and full heat.

I'm sure I read somewhere that sometimes clears the smell and saves the need for a full clean.
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - bell boy
If it smelt funny then buy the fungicide can and do it.
Ive never used one as ive always managed to clear the ones ive had, but i am aware you need to follow the instructions on the can to the letter
Post up how you get on, im sure many of us would be interested
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - dimdip
Does running the a/c full time give a higher chance of mould/fungus do you think? I picture the evap coil constantly having condensation on it, and so never getting the chance to properly dry out. Is this accurate?

I leave mine off most of the time, and just switch it on for one journey in about half a dozen during the off season.
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - OldSock
Not sure what car you have, teabelly, but the 'econ' setting on many cars just disables the compressor clutch so there's no cooling (or drying) available at all.

Maybe more modern cars than those I'm used to don't do this any more....
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - corax
Sounds like you may have bacteria lurking in the system. You can buy a disinfectant spray to clean it. You set the can off in the car, run the air con on recirculate, and get out. Should do the job. And turn the air con on once a week for 10min throughout the winter. If you don't, the seals within the system can dry out, shrink and cause leakage. The refridgerant contains an oil that keeps the seals moist. If the seals on the compressor dry out, it can be particularly expensive to sort out.

Some people think air con is only good for summer, but you can turn it on with the temperature turned up on demist to get rid of condensation. It removes moisture from the air as well as cooling it, which is why you're throat can feel a bit dry after using it.

I know what you mean about legionaires, but does anyone know of someone who has contracted this from a car air con system? I'd like to know!
The skyline manual says on econ setting it runs it through the drier. If you want full a/c you choose a/c and leave it in auto or manual fan mode. Auto with no econ or a/c means it is fresh air and just mixed with nothing other than normal heating. I think that is the right way round. I might have to check!

Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - Stuartli
Use the A/C in full recirculating mode after spraying the car's interior with Neutradol (Oust or similar will also suffice) - this will kill off any bacteria in the system.
Use the A/C in full recirculating mode after spraying the car's interior with Neutradol (Oust
or similar will also suffice) - this will kill off any bacteria in the system.

That's useful to know. Think I've got a can of that somewhere. Any idea how long I'd leave it running for? Must remember not to let the doors lock automatically and lock the keys in the car with the engine running....
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - dimdip
The skyline manual says on econ setting it runs it through the drier. If you
want full a/c you choose a/c and leave it in auto or manual fan mode.

I don't understand what the difference is between the drier and full a/c. I thought for it to work as a dehumidifyer, the a/c still has to be running as normal? Maybe I'm out of touch with the technology though...
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - corax
dimdip

You are right. The a/c has to be on to act as a dehumidifier. The colder air gets, the less ability it has to carry moisture, thats why the air in the car gets colder and drier. The same reason why ones lips crack in cold weather due to cold dry air.
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - spikeyhead {p}
I wouldn't be surprised if you're just dehydrated.

Several hours sitting in dried out air with little to drink. Symptoms are probably similar too.
Aircon - think mine might need a clean! - David Horn
Whip out the pollen filter and spray a can of Dettol disinfectant spray down the air intake, then run on maximum heat for 15 minutes or so in recirculation mode.
I thought deyhydration perhaps but I drank plenty so I don't think it was that.

No pollen filter in the car.

The manual might be wrong I suppose.